Bob's Big Meat Loaf

Bob's Big Meat Loaf

Bob's Meat Loaf recipie.

I got the basics for this from George Stella's cookbook - he has a recipie for a stuffed meat loaf rollatini...but I make a much simpler version.

I like this, my daughter likes this... and Made this way I get several meals out of it, which helps me always have something to eat on hand and simplifies meal prep for several nights after making this.

Meat Loaf:

Oven Temp 350 F

1.5 lbs Ground Beef - I usually get an 80/20 or 85/15 grind.
    1.5 lbs Ground Pork - Usually I use slightly less pork then beef.
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup grated Parmeasan cheese (Kraft or any of the inexpensive versions.)
    1/2 to 1 large onion - vidalia if available, otherwise red onion works well - finelly diced.
    1 to 1.5 stalks celery, very finnely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced (or garlic powder if your in a hurry)
    1 Tablespoon Oregano (dried)
    1 Tablespoon Basil (dried)
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 teaspoon Tyme
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    Optional - 1/3 of a bell pepper - finnely diced orange, yellow or red bell pepper. ( I don't care for the flavor of green bell in meatloaf.)

Mix dry ingreedients together in a small bowl. Mix beef, pork, eggs, onion, sprinkle with dry ingreedients and then mix well. Use your hands and really get it integrated together.

Dump into a baking dish - I use a glass 9x13 glass baking dish, but what every you have - and form into a loaf. Sqeeze/pack loaf well, you dont' want voids inside. (Hand formed is fine. I find using a large dish vs. a bread pan works better and lets the fat cook out.)

Generally takes about 1.5 hours to cook. I use a meat thermometer and cook until it registers 165 F in the center. Let rest for 10 or 15 minutes before cutting.

I have this with home-made sugar-free ketchup:

8 oz can tomato sauce (be sure it is sugar free, some add sugar)
    6 oz can tomato paste (again, sugar free.)
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup splenda
    1 to 2 teaspoons garlic salt
    2 to 3 teapoons onion powder

Mix splenda, garlic salt, and onion powder with the vinegar. Then add teh sauce and paste and mix well. ( I just use a hand wisk.)

Play with the amount of vinegar, garlic salt and onion powder to get the taste you want. Made as above, it is a bit more intense then store bought ketchup in terms of the vinigar content and flavors... Will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator, if the vinigar sepeartes out just mix back in - if too think, add more vinigar (or I suppose you could use water.)

To turn into BBQ sauce, start with base ketchup, add liquid smoke and worchestershire sauce and some tobasco-- all to taste.

wow, what a load of information.
    Thanks Bliss, I am going to have to take a trip to the store in the next day or so. Do you think ground turkey would work in place of the ground pork? Or could I use all one type of meat?
    We typically buy ground buffalo here so mine will be a buffalo meat loaf. Yummy! I have never even made meatloaf before so this will be a nice change.
    Again, thanks for the recipe.

hugs!
    Tonya

I have made it with ground turkey. Personally, I prefer the texture I get with the ground pork. But it worked with the turkey, you might consider adding an extra egg - with the turkey it didn't seem to hold together as well for me.

I have made it with just ground beef when the store was out of ground pork. It was fine, but again, I like it better with the combo.

I'd like to try it with ground buffalo... that would be interesting.

Made into a loaf down the center of the baking dish, there is plunty of room for the fat that cooks out. Now... I suppose made without the pork it would be leaner... and I'd have paid for less fat that I'm just cooking out... but I'm kind of set on my version.

The nice think is, this is something you can easily experiment with. Maybe add salsa to the mix... spread it out, add spinich, ham and cheese and roll it up into a stuffed meatloaf roll... lots of variations... Have fun with it and enjoy.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

hey, my hubby doesnt like meatloaf and I told him I was going to try a buffalo meatloaf with swiss and he is actually interested! So wednesday I am off to the store and will probably make it for din din that night.

You know, come to think of it we have made ground buffalo/pork burgers that were pretty good. So I will probably try the pork/buffalo with the meatloaf.

You are full of ideas and I love your variations as I am just not that inventive with cooking. Thank goodness for you Bliss.

hugs!
    Tonya

Hi

Sounds good Bliss. I kie to mix meats and I do use ground buffalo.
    In our grocery it come ground and vacuum sealed for about $4/lb when not on sale.

ok, so I'm a dork.

I only bought 2 pounds of buffalo and I follwed the recipe as though it was 3 pounds, including the cooking time.

HOWEVER! It was still pretty good. Slightly dry for someone who likes their meat rare, but good. Now if I didnt have this stupid sore on my tongue from biting it, I could actually enjoy it a little more. But again, the flavor is still good. Next time I will try it the right way.

hugs,
    Tonya

BMI
    Bumping this to the front, good tips and recipe for sugarless ketchup

BMI
    Thanks Arlene, I'm sure this would work in the slow cooker!

BMI
    Yea, lots of great names on the recipes. Do you wonder how they are in the LC world?

How much calorie that dish have. Can we eat this twice a week. how much we gain or loose with this.

BMI
    Ain, I have not entered this recipe into my tracker. If you are trying to lose weight, you need to enter your food into some sort of online tracker that will give you this information. It also depends on how much of it you eat and what meats it is made of. It is good for induction, if that will help you.

i never make meatloaf the exact same way twice. i use beef, spices, 2 eggs, and some zero or very lc carb condiments. these all vary a bit every time I make one. I love my meatloaf firm, and I love it hot AND cold. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.