Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What else can i drink apart from water while on atkins?

What else can i drink apart from water while on atkins?

Hello,i am going to start my diet on the monday and i was wondering apart from tea,coffee and water what else can i drink on induction phase. The weather is hot in fact it is too hot i don't even feel like drinking tea and coffee and just drinking water is going to be a bit boring. My atkins book says i can drink;

water
    spring water

mineral water
    club soda
    essence flavored seltzer(must say no calories)
    decaff. coffee or tea
    herba tea(no barley,dates,figs,sugar)
    clear broth/bouillon(not all brands)
    cream(heavy or light);note carb. content
    diet soda(read label)iced tea with artifical sweetener)
    natural and arifical orange soda(contains some carb.)
    lemon or lime juice(each contein 2.8 gr. carb. per ounce)

when i read the topics here i notice that you mention about drinking fizzy drinks such as diet coke and diet dr. pepper(if i am not wrong)
    They also sell flavored water here either still or sparkling which contain a small amount of carb. which is not too bad.As long as the label says it includes this much carb. will it be ok to consume them?(lets say 2 gr. carb per 250 ml. of bottle)

My dr. atkins easy carb. gram counter book says a no no for diet fizzy drinks because they contein carb. but when i check the labels here they claim to be 0 carb. , it is so confusing.

thanks in advance for the answers.

After a bit of search i found this on the net.I think not many of us sure on what to drink but now at least i know that diet drinks are not a good choice to have whether or not you are on a diet.

Dear Friends,

A lot of you know that I am pretty much a stickler when it comes to
    deciding what to drink. The answer is always water and plenty of it. I
    get asked a lot about drinks—particularly, diet drinks, sodas, juices,
    etc. Everyone wants to drink something else besides water, especially
    when it's hot outside!

Well, I understand that. I drink coffee in the morning, so it's not
    like I don't understand what it is to have a particular fondness for a
    special beverage. But when it comes to drinking something with a meal,
    you gotta go for water. And water in-between meals, too. Water itself
    is a nutrient in that it helps your body run optimally and helps you
    to absorb the nutrients you've taken via your food. Important stuff,
    H20.

A new study just came out implicating sodas in weight
    gain—both
    regular AND diet sodas! Now listen, I know sodas go on sale in
    supermarket all the time and I know you like them. But bear with me
    for minute. You have to read these statistics!

The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio ran an
    eight year study to study the effects of soft drink use. Sharon P.
    Fowler, MPH, who ran the study, had this shocking statement to say,
    "What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to
    overweight and obesity. What was surprising was when we looked at
    people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even
    higher."

Of the 622 participants—all of normal weight at the beginning of the
    study, about a third became overweight or obese.

For the regular soft drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight
    or obese was:

*26% for up to ½ can each day
    *30.4% for ½ to one can each day
    *32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    *47.2% for more than 2
    cans each day.

But look at the increase for diet soft-drink drinkers!

*36% for up to ½ can per day
    *37.5% for ½ to one can per day
    *54.5% for 1 to 2 cans per day
    *57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.

For each can of diet soda consumed, a person's risk of obesity went up
    41%!!!

One of the theories of why the difference may have something to do
    with trying to fool our bodies. We give them the sweet taste of a diet
    drink, but no calories. Another recent study showed that baby rats
    when fed artificial sweeteners craved more calories than baby rats fed
    real sugar.

Fowler says, "If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot
    of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the
    possibility that there is something there and it will search for the
    calories promised but not delivered."

She goes on to say, "People think they can just fool the body. But
    maybe the body isn't fooled. If you are not
    giving your body those
    calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting
    more calories. Some soft drink studies also suggest that diet drinks
    stimulate appetite." To that I say, "EEEEK!!!"

I don't normally do Food for Thought's with research and all that
    stuffed into them. But this got my attention, big time and I felt you
    would want this info yourself. Don't forget too, that drinking sodas
    blocks calcium absorption and not being able to absorb calcium in your
    bones is a major contributor to osteoporosis later in life!

I hope this information will help you make the wise decision to grab a
    water next time you're thirsty!

Hope you dont mind but I liked this article so I posted it in the just for fun section.
    Thanks for the info.

Hugs,
    Tonya

it's ok,when you search on google for atkins and diet coke it comes up with a lot of stuff and i think i found this on another atkins diet forum.I should say i am gutted, because we are not aloud to drink any pop but i may have a can of coke from there and then,that shouldn't hurt too much i think.

Day 2 of induction and what's with the headache,it is killing me

you have the atkins flu. If your a caffiene drinker your body could be going through withdrawls as well. I just take a couple of ibuprofin and that helps.

After trying this plan caffiene free for 3 months I decided to add coffee back in my diet. To this day I still drink coffee and sometimes 1 diet soda per day. But I also drink 90 oz of water on top of all that. It is a good idea to take a multivitamin and maybe even a calcium suppliment while you are on this plan as well. Just make sure you dont go over your daily amount of calcium as too much can be bad as well.

hugs,
    Tonya

BMI
    I know this is an ancient thread, but I just wanted to add to the point about calcium absorption.

It's the carbonation that causes calcium block. So it's not just soda, anything carbonated ( soda, fizzy waters, club soda, beer, energy drinks etc) will hinder calcium absorption. So keep an eye out!

BMI
    good information, Ophelia.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

I have found that I can't drink nearly as much plain water as recommended. And I already drink way too much caffeinated drinks. So I've been drinking quite a bit of Cyrstal Light. Not sure if it is recommended on induction, but I haven't noticed any negative impact on my diet. Now down exactly 40 pounds as of today.

But has anyone heard a reason why Crystal Light would be harmful in any way?

Just wondering if anyone can

tell me if dasani drops will take me out of ketosis?

BMI
    Hi Brenda,
    They do not have calories or carbs, so no, they will not take you out of ketosis. Some find artificial sugar can be a problem. I found Crystal light gave me leg cramps.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

My daughter uses those Dasani drops. Are they similar to Crystal Light in their chemical make-up? I still drink a ton of it and never got a definite answer on whether it is supposed to be good or bad for you. I won't give up caffeine so I need something to encourage me to drink without taking in more caffeine.

Each day, in ounces, I take in roughly: coffee (30+), soda (36+/-), iced tea (16+), water (16+), Crystal Light (30+). And occasional diet lemonade. I've managed to lose 56.5 pounds and reduced caffeine (believe it or not) by drinking Crystal Light, just not sure it is good or bad for you. When I reach my target weight, I intend to drop the Crystal Light. It just seems that the food color and chemicals can't be good.

BMI
    LeeAnn, There are several schools of thought on the artificial flavorings and sugars. Many who start eating a new way, cleaner, free from all the snack/fast/carby foods, do not like the idea of eating artificial anything.

I use liquid EZ-Sweet in my coffee every morning, along with heavy cream and a T of coconut oil. During the day, I sometimes squirt in several drops of Mio which is very much like Dasani drops. http://blog.fooducate.com/2012/12/26...ealth-reducer/ I usually get lemons and use them but sometimes, I need the shot of flavor and sweetness.

I found drinking a lot of Crystal Light, which has a different Artificial Sweetner http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...tal-light.html in the beginning of my change of eating habits, cause me massive leg cramps at night. I also found I needed more salt, potassium and magnesium for that, but stopping CL made a big difference.

Some stall or slow weight loss on Artificial Sweetners, but if you use them and are successful, then weighing the benefits in your life are what you need to do. If the ingredients do not bother you, and you are on your way to a much healthier life with less pounds, then is that a plus? Maybe you can start trying to find other ways to flavor your water, slowly.

Coffee-caffeine? Again, controversial, but there are studies that "show" it can aid in weight loss, and I am not giving mine up!

Here's my 2c worth, I treat water or drinks like a supplement, I don't drink for the taste or anything, I just drink 1.5L of water a day, almost like taking vitamins or medication, that way I remove the emotions from consuming liquid. I think we make ourselves suffer too much when we put emotions or like and dislike into what we consume.

The advantage of just knowing you're going to consume 1.5L of water a day is you don't get thirsty, you don't crave other drinks, if you got the water in already, your mind is free to think on other things.

BMI
    Sounds like a good plan, Catering.

My issue is that I can only drink so much plain water. I'm not a fan. I can drink plain water when I work out because I have a true thirst. But at work or leisure, I would likely drink some, but then forget about it rather than force myself to drink. I've tried but I just don't drink enough. I drink close to a liter when I work out so 1.5L in a day wouldn't be enough for me. That's only about 50 oz (?).

What I have found is that on those days that I go to bed thirsty are the days that I don't lose. My body is trying to retain water because I don't drink enough. I have found that to be successful on this diet that I really need to drink, but plain water does not encourage me to do that. What I am consuming now is between 130 - 150 oz per day. My converter says that's closer to 4 liters per day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.