Newbie Looking For Thyroid Help

Newbie Looking For Thyroid Help

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but not new to Atkins. I've had success with it in the past and just started induction again today. Things are a little different this time. I'm a few years older and my thyroid has taken a nose dive. Can't afford insurance anymore so I've been without medication for a while. My question to the group is(I looked in the archives but couldn't find an answer), what can I do to help my thyroid function properly without medication? I'd appreciate any thoughts and look forward to sharing in this community.

Thanks,
    Angie

DA used to prescribe medication for sluggish thyroid. I did find this on the website.
    Occasionally, the reason for an underactive thyroid is the deficiency of the amino acid tyrosine and the mineral iodine, both of which help make T3. Zinc and selenium help produce the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. But nutritional deficiency is rarely the cause of hypothyroidism. There are other causes, one of which can be an autoimmune response.

But the whole article recommends prescription medication. http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-425982.html. Is the medication out of the question without insurance?

Yup. Out of the question. Thanks for the link.

Angie

Thyroid medication is really quite cheap. Can you find a clinic to give you a blood test to prescribe it? I know from experience that you will have a really hard time losing weight if your thyroid is not functioning properly. Your metabolism has slowed down significantly and your energy levels are also probably quite low. It is worth the cost of the blood test to get your body functioning properly again.

Right now, it's not possible but hopefully I'll be able to in the near future. Until then, I guess I'll just keep plugging away as usual.

Angie

I agree with trying 2. You really need your meds. I too take thyroid meds, and it under 10$ a month for generic. If you can not afford to go to the doctor to get the script, you can find free clinics in your area. Hypothyroidism is not something to play around with, it can get serious. Please get in to see a doctor.

Hi Angie! Don't know your whole situation but sounds like we have some stuff in common. Let me know how you are doing and if your Atkins program is working for u.

BMI
    Unfortunately, this thread was started in 2005 and you probably will not get an answer from Angie.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.