Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Warning- low carb candy !!!

Warning- low carb candy !!!

Day before yesterday i went to walmart and bought low carb candy and a ton of magazines. I indulged a bit and ate 2 low carb toffee thingies ( they are kind of small is why i ate two pieces) and then i ate a package of the low carb peanut butter cups later after dinner- these are not very good btw. I would find my candy intake to be about the same as eating a package of reese cups and eating a mini snickers bar.
    Anyways they messed my system up in ways that i dont even want to say! Stay away from these "treats" they are not worth it!!!! I spent a lot of quality time in the bathroom... AT WORK!!!!!
    The price you will pay the next day is awful and horrendous. I have never had this happen to me before and i learned my lesson about the sugar alcohols. I wont ever stare at those candies with curiosity again!!
    And i wondered how comes i never had that problem with the bars?

** To clarify and avoid- this was not "emotional eating" or a binge and i know some of ya'll would never even consider eating low carb candy because Atkins has made you so much better than that, I on the other hand need to re-evaluate my eating choices etc. etc.

Maryanne - your post made me laugh. Sorry, I don't mean I am laughing at you -- just at what happened because I know the same thing has happened to me.:wink:

Emotional eating and candy bars ---- we could probably discuss this until the end of time, but wait -- I am just finishing off the last bit of a low carb Hershey candy bar (not very good chocolate)

Hi maryann. I mess my diet eating those candy bars and the chocolate drops, they did the same thing to me., so there is me and my magazine to a trip to the you now what.....so I stoped. becouse also I did not lost any weight. for 2 days. so bye bye to candies and shakes. thanks for you advice. you friend normita thumb

Hi

The maltitol in those candies is evil. It causes my blood sugar to go up, causes cravings and does a number on your bowls.

On cravings at least for rats Splenda and Nutrasweet don't cause such in rats. They stressed rats and offered them sugar water or "equivalantly" sweetened water. The rats tasted both then kept coming back only to the sugar water. Of course only some of us are rat-like.

when that happens bust out the pink stuff or chug and i mean chug deit coke........something bout coke that helps fix that problem

They don't affect me like that, but they do give me horrible cramps from gas. This doesn't happen if I eat just one, but they make me crave more. If I do indulge, I'll buy one piece. If I buy a bag, I'll eat it all at once and get the cramps.

Wow, i figure i'm a very lucky one - they don't do too much to me except mostly satisfy my occasional (since atkins hehe) sweet tooth. (Like during TOM). I'll get a little discomforted from abdominal cramping on occasion, depending on the brand, but it doesn't cause me more cravings thank goodness!! I guess i'm one of the lucky few eh?

But, yeah - if i ate too many i can't imagine what the little bit of cramping i do get would turn into, YIKES!!

Brightest Blessings,
    Lisa

I ate some manitol cookies one time and my husband almost brought me to the E.R. because he thought my appendix had burst, I was doubled over in pain from the cramping.

I hate to tell you this -- but there is a theory that if you don't get too much cramping or "having to use the bathroom", it means that you are absorbing all the carbs on listed on the nutritional label.

In other words, the Hershey's candy bar is 18 grms of carbs, but has 2 fiber and 15 sugar alcohols. So if you don't have a reaction -- that means you can't deduct the sugar alcohols. Firelady also has experienced blood sugar increases after eating maltitol - so she is absorbing the carbs.

Hi

Yes every body seems to be different on this. I get a blood sugar spike from some sugar alcohols (maltitol is the worst for me) but also get some gas effects. Can't explain it.

I make my own fudge. It's not quite stiff enough yet but tastes good. Regular fudge is hardened by taking the sugar to the hardball stage but the "no calorie" sweeteners do not carmelize. I zap butter and baking chocolate and mix in a bit of either softened cream cheese or unsweetened condensed milk. When it is smooth I add vanilla whey powder. I do not have it right yet because although it is creamy and good tasting it's not stiff enough. The post on the diet support forum on chocolate is interesting.

It has a warning on the package that excessive eating might cause a laxative effect. I missed it too and made that same mistake last Christmas

-Micky

Quote Originally Posted by northernlady
    I hate to tell you this -- but there is a theory that if you don't get too much cramping or "having to use the bathroom", it means that you are absorbing all the carbs on listed on the nutritional label.

In other words, the Hershey's candy bar is 18 grms of carbs, but has 2 fiber and 15 sugar alcohols. So if you don't have a reaction -- that means you can't deduct the sugar alcohols. Firelady also has experienced blood sugar increases after eating maltitol - so she is absorbing the carbs.
    It's kind of like the witch-hunt. If you drown then you were innocent, if you survive, you'll be burned at the stake! Mama-mia!

Emotions

I disagree. I think it was emotional eating. Otherwise, why would you eat all of that candy? I may be considered somewhat of a stickler or spartan but I think overweight people do not have the luxury of indulging in snacking and high risk food behavior. The best thing to do with those candies is to toss them out and not look at them again. The next thing to do is realize that we just do not need that kind of temptation. Then realize just how little food we do need to remain healthy and satisfied. Everything else is in the emotions. I hope you learned your lesson and will behave in the future. haha.

Good Luck!

Teuthis, LOL i knew you'd say that. Im trying over here, i promise.
    I certainly did learn my lesson too. But i do want to point out that i am not overweight. I am in the "normal" catagory now-but on the other hand i did get to that category but avoiding sweets so... point taken into consider.

I just spent last night in the bathroom thanks to some carbolite Jelly beans. They were awesome but not worth the price I paid! Jeeze the heck with this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.