Fitness And Obesity Information

Fitness And Obesity Information

I found this article and thought it might provide everyone here with information about fitness needs and obesity. The link below is to the CDC and some extremely interesting articles on obesity and acticvity levels in the USA. I'm sure the would apply to the UK too in large part.

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/index.htm

The article below of course quotes people who recommend the high carb diets, but the information is sound and intriguing. At the end of the article are two additional links to information about obesity that everyone would benefit by reading and referring to.

Good Luck!

Americans Not Getting Enough Exercise

By DANIEL YEE
    .c The Associated Press

ATLANTA (AP) - Even when sweeping, waiting tables and tossing a Frisbee count as exercise, most Americans still aren't getting enough of it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing earlier studies failed to accurately measure Americans' fitness because they focused on intense exercise, has lumped everyday activities such as housework and gardening with jogging and lifting weights.

But even with playing with children and raking the lawn on the list of moderate-intensity activities, the 2001 phone survey released Thursday showed that 55 percent of adults still didn't get the recommended minimum: 30 minutes a day, at least four days a week.

``It's surprising,'' said Harold Kohl of the CDC, who authored the study. ``There's still more than one out of two Americans who are not active at a level we think promotes health. From an overall health standpoint, ... we've really got to move the needle substantially from where it is right now.''

The 2001 survey results were better than under the old definition of exercise used in the 2000 survey, when 74 percent of adults missed the recommendations, but still too low, health officials said.

The survey found little change in the proportion of adults who said they didn't do any kind of significant exercise - 26 percent in 2001 and 27.4 percent in 2000. It also found that Kentucky had the lowest percentage of people who got the recommended amount of exercise, while Wyoming had the highest.

The recommendations are just the minimum to prevent people from developing chronic diseases such as high blood pressure or diabetes. The Institute of Medicine says people should double the CDC's recommendations - 60 minutes of moderate exercise a day - to drop pounds.

``If you really, really want to lose weight, you have to do more than that,'' said CDC spokesman Mary Kay Sones. ``The message from CDC and public health is prevention - be aware that if you're putting the weight on it's going to be very hard to get it off - try to be aware not to put it on in the first place.''

The CDC said it loosened the definition of exercise to obtain ``a more comprehensive picture of Americans' daily lifestyles.''

Moderate activities include walking at a brisk pace, ballroom dancing, playing in a marching band, shoveling snow, and moderate housework such as scrubbing floors, washing windows and vacuuming.

For those daunted by even moderate exercise, the CDC has a list of even less intense activities it says would be at least a step in the right direction, including making photocopies, playing video games, coloring, sitting in a whirlpool bath, floating and ``purposeless wandering.''

The agency says an hour of such light activity is equal to 30 minutes of moderate activity, but light activity wasn't included in the latest survey. Light activity includes almost every activity that involves motion and some that don't: playing table tennis, miniature golf, darts or pool, shooting a pistol, yachting, fishing while seated, even light office work that includes movement of ``little more than hands and fingers.''

Kohl said moderate-intensity activities are the minimum needed for health benefits but sees light activity as ``a gateway to moderate activity for those who aren't that active at all. It's a start.''

Health officials say Americans' lack of exercise is one of the nation's most pressing health problems, leading to increases in obesity, heart disease, hypertension or diabetes.

Diet is just as important as exercise, though, Sones said.

``I don't think you can do one without the other,'' she said. ``You have to maintain a sensible diet - it's important we are aware of those things, to cut back on the sugars and high-fat foods and just be aware of how much we are eating.''

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr
    http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/

Thanks for that article, teuthis! I would like to really highlight parts of it that jumped out at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis
    ...recommended minimum: 30 minutes a day, at least four days a week.

...The Institute of Medicine says people should double the CDC's recommendations - 60 minutes of moderate exercise a day - to drop pounds.

``If you really, really want to lose weight, you have to do more than that,'' said CDC spokesman Mary Kay Sones.

Kohl said moderate-intensity activities are the minimum needed for health benefits but sees light activity as ``a gateway to moderate activity for those who aren't that active at all. It's a start.''

Diet is just as important as exercise, though, Sones said.

``I don't think you can do one without the other,'' she said.
    Big point here - if any of you are 'stalled' and haven't applied the above, you know what to do!!

I realized the difference in our lazy country as opposed to England & other European countries the other day. When I'm in England, it seems we're walking all the time. We walk to catch trains, we park the car in one place and walk to all the places we need to go, we walk just for pleasure.

When we're here in the states, we drive EVERYWHERE!! Those idiotic strip malls are the worst. First, we drive through the bank. Then drive in circles to find the closest parking space. We get out of the car and go to Wal Mart, then get back in the car to drive three stores down to the Blockbuster. Get back in the car and drive across the street to the supermarket to buy a bag or two of groceries. That made us hungry, so we get BACK in the car, drive through McDonalds and pull over to eat it!

Though California has poor public transportation and walking to train stations isn't an option, now I try to park further away & walk between the stores, AND skip the McDonalds!!

Thanx again Lori and Teuth for your information and knowledge on this topic. It has been confirmed to me that I do need to up my activity.

Sunnee

I decided to walk to the local WAWA (convience store I frequent) It took me 20 minutes to walk there and back. I can't believe how many times I drove there! I'm saving gas and getting fit because I won't drive there again. I think I'll even walk in the rain!

So close, and I'd never even thought of walking it before.

Walking For Chores

Chattygirl, good for you! You make my point completely. There are almost always places we can walk instead of driving. The time spent is time we should be spending doing exercise anyway. Even when I drive somewhere, I always park in the back of the lot and walk to the stores. I got a pedometer recently and I was amazed at how far I walked in just one day, just doing errands and walking to and from stores in big parking lots. It all helps. Thanks for the inspiring experience!

Good Luck

Oh I heard about pedometers! My friend got one and she said that when she walks part of a mile she is encouraged to "finish it off." I think I'm going to get one next week. I heard Target has ones that are nice and not too expensive.

I'm trying to increase my activity level EVERYWHERE. I take the kids bowling now instead of the movies. ANYTHING to keep me moving. I get so frustrated with the time I spend in my car. AND on the train. I get antsy and want to GET OUT!

Teuthis ~ Did you find a pool? Do you have a local YMCA? I heard they have a great "water walking" program that is supposed to be back ache friendly. I need to check that out.

Swimming

There is a pool at the YMCA. I plan to try to start up there soon. I think swimming is the best exercise of all.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.