Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PhillyDude's Journal

Whatever ya do, don't starve yourself
    and I only mean this in that if you find yourself on that fence of going hunger crazy for whatever reason, you attack some good meat. Eat a steak. Eat 1/2 a rotisserie chicken. We can easily low calorie, low portion size ourselves in a 'diet' as in 'dieting plan to lose lbs that is strict' but if that huge urge to jump ship or go wild and eat crazy hits, you satisfy yourself with protein and a good bit of it!

Just a suggestion cause when I low calorie/low portion/control etc. I would hit a day where I starved. I would freak out and eat the world cause I would just say, I can't do this......if I would have just ate a big old steak and stay on my plan also I would have been in fine form....so just a thought about a what if that might hit ya just chatting out things that were my experience and maybe they can help you. best of luck.

Hi ZeroCarb,

Thanks for your advice! It is duly noted and appreciated!

I am indeed struggling with hunger. The problem I confront with 20 grams or less Carb diets is the lack of variety in what I can eat. This became a stumbling block to me back in 2007 when I lost 40 lbs on Atkins.

Not sure what direction I should go at the moment. It seems each diet plan I do lets me down somewhere.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Start Weight - 242 lbs. / Current Weight - 242 lbs / Goal Weight - 160 lbs

totally get the lack a variety thing!
    I have posts about my boredom with eating primarily carnivore. It is boring. Of course having a heart attack or stroke from my hyperinsulinemia would suck worse. but it's still hard

totally get the lack a variety thing!
    I have posts about my boredom with eating primarily carnivore. It is boring. Of course having a heart attack or stroke from my hyperinsulinemia would suck worse. but it's still hard.

-c

yea boring will happen.....being a zero carb eater I rely mostly on beef and pork. chicken is next cause I get so chicken'd out mostly LOL but when my boredom hits, I do seafood. Seafood is my big variety change and I love it.

This is no joke when I type this out cause it is literally most every successful person who has lost is on a limited menu. SOME can do that 'cheat day' and get some variety but a lot can not. That cheat day sets them up for failure but those that can do it get away lucky if ya ask me LOL and I am happy some can do that...….but most people say they eat every day just like the menu it took to lose the lbs. No variations mostly. Because if you leave the plan you gain, simple as that.

very very hard to wrap our heads around.

I see it like this. Very low calorie/low fat and you lose lbs. but you starve doing it. Small portions, light type foods that are not filling (well for me they aren't)

and then LC....LC does let you eat a higher calorie content and heavier protein and fats which satisfy the body but at the same type you can't be eating the old foods at all and we LC people are limited.

so it is like pick your poison My poison is zero carb cause I can eat more meat/seafood and butter/dairy (I do fine on dairy) then if I chose another plan and still keep the lbs off. I am the type that has to eat bigger meals and zero carb lets me kinda have that option without gaining if I eat bigger....so I love that. I don't lose lbs eating heavier zero carb meals but I can eat them and that means a lot and I never gain eating big. I just don't lose lbs. To lose I have to cut kcals down.

so I guess we all gotta find that fine line where we fit in and make it work daily and long term.
    hard as heck if ya ask me cause it took me a lot of years to wrap my head around why I have to eat this way, try this type of food that suits me best etc.....you will be ok, we all find our way as long as you keep working at it.

Thanks ZeroCarb!

Yeah, I will find my way through this. A few things are important for me...

1. Scientifically, I need to know the "Why" of the diet I choose. This is why Low fat turns me off. I now Low Fat is junk science. Whatever I do it will not be singing the praises of Low fat!
    2. The Maintenance phase (and all diet plans have one) needs to be well explained for me, so I can "Phase out."
    3. I need a diet plan that has variety. As they say, "Variety is the spice of life!"

Another note is I don't mind be some hungry, but if I become very hungry I will cheat. I don't know, maybe there's a psychological component of dieting?

Thanks for reading,
    Blessings
    Thanks,
    Phil

yea mind games are a killer when changing our eating habits. I mean we lived our whole lives eating whatever we loved and giving up so much of it is never an easy thing. Emotions are attached to foods.

You have to want these changes. If you don't want it you won't succeed because of what we do have to give up. We choose our health or our weaknesses for the love of junk food. I had to look at it that way. stinks ya know LOL but I guess it was something I had to face.

There is not 'much more' to maintenance than the menu on how you lost the weight. Cause once you add this and that and more of that and other things, the lbs start to come back on. Everyone has this trouble. Know your critical carb limit. You add back in foods and weigh yourself all the time, when like 4-5 lbs come back on you added to much, time to take away. And we all know we can't add back in a lot of foods. No one can. But you are smart to know the plan you adopt to lose the lbs and what they say about maintenance. Know your plan and work it hard You will find your way for sure!

best of luck, hold strong!
    Last edited by ZeroCarb; 12-05-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Agreed, I re-read my reminders about why I am doing this. It's aggravating to realize I may not have much pizza in my future life (for instance) but at least I will have a future. I love the "idea" of being able to eat stuff in maintenance that I can't currently. But it seems for most, especially if one has a history of insulin resistance, that this is a myth. And for some it triggers craving and bingeing which then leads right back to weight gain. sigh.

my current motto: never trade what you want the most for what you want in the moment.

-c

very good post C. It boils it down to the truth. An instant gratification can have monster impact long term.
    And insulin resistance is a real thing for most of us very sensitive to carbs. Get some carbs in us and we go ape sh** and lose control.

Blood sugar levels control many of us on how we do eat. Simple as that. Some of us can not ever push that in any way. If you are one of them, and I am , then we know that adding back in carby foods is not an option.

rough stuff sometimes to come to terms with but many in life has monster roadblocks they have to deal with on a daily basis that are much worse then my food troubles, so I think, hey pony up and make it happen the way it has to happen. So I hold my plan no matter what. Only thing that works for me

My wife claims that insulin resistance or rather insulin sensitivity can be reset by intermittent fasting?

Something to maybe to put into effect toward maintenance phase?
    Thanks,
    Phil

here is a good read

https://scarysymptoms.com/2014/09/in...ng-does-it_20/

thing is it is 'never cured'. you start eating a ton of carbs again and it comes right back. Blood sugar is one thing, low and slow on protein and fats, high and fast swings on any other foods, all of them. There is a point of no return for the body. Hopefully most wake up and control their menu and health before it all goes bad.

Your wife is right (see Dr Jason Fung's -Canadian nephrologist - books and youtube videos). ZC is also right, if you can reset which is what I am working on, but if you start loading up on processed carbs and sugar you will get sick IR again.

Also not sure why you would want to put it off until maintenance phase as IF helps many lose weight but perhaps I am misunderstanding?

-c

Quote Originally Posted by Cervyn View Post
    -snip-
    Also not sure why you would want to put it off until maintenance phase as IF helps many lose weight but perhaps I am misunderstanding?

-c
    If you do Induction by the book you are not supposed to starve yourself? At least that is my understanding. Maybe in Phase 2 or 3?

I don't know, just me rambling, I have no idea what I'm talking about, LOL!
    Thanks,
    Phil

remember one thing....IF is intermittent fasting. ANY time you are on induction, have dropped tons of crap food from your menu and are eating ALL the induction foods you need to eat to be happy......as you enter deep ketosis as you will, you will NATURALLY start to IF. I mean that as you will probably drop down to like 2 meals per day, not be as hungry at all in keto and you will naturally be an intermittent faster. Like eat at 12 pm your first meal, then eat again like 5-6 and not eat any more til the next day, like 11-12 again......so at that point you are not eating for a very long time, which is kinda just like the IF thing.

so IF is used for people who want to 'schedule an eating window' and want to control their eating time on a planned schedule. Deep natural ketosis will do the same thing for you. So many do use IF to 'make a plan' with it, while others like me have a natural IF built into our eating from our ketosis and not wanting to eat cause my body doesn't want it.

I eat usually at 12 and around 3-4 and done for the day. Longer I am now on zero carb I am kinda getting to that one meal per day cause I just am not hungry. This isn't something I am doing on purpose....now my body asks for food as needed. and it never asked for food as much. You know, back to a natural way of life.

I hope some of that makes sense to ya it is ok to not 'get it all' just yet. Years on very low carb has opened up alot of info to me that did not come when I first started this way of life. So don't think ya got to know it all. One can be overwhelmed easily on 'all the plans' out there.

Simple thing. EAT ALL the induction foods, as much as you need at all times, and let the body change. Never starve, try not to add new things into this simple eating plan until you have 'kinda changed over' in your body to burning ketones only and get those benefits.

just keep it super simple. Stay the course on induction foods. Eat as much as you need, never starve. Stay on that plan and you will retrain yourself without being overwhelmed.

hope I kinda explained that right for ya ask a ton of questions also, we all got years of experience. trial and error thru it all but thing is always remember keep it super simple when ya start

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.