Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cervyn's Current Very Low Carb Experiment Journal

Yes, I found myself bewildered by my cravings this year. I haven't had cravings for many years but this year was bad. Thanks goodness they have settled back down.

Don't get me wrong I still think about off plan food at times, but I don't have that out of control nagging craving feeling. It's all in my head.

Hmmm, I find it very hard to describe cravings in words...
    Last edited by Cervyn; 09-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.

the great sheep milk cheese experiment -day 3 results - update 9/11/18

Well it seems fairly definite that the sheep milk cheese did not derail me either physically or mentally.

It didn't cause a stall, I didn't notice any increase in cravings or any digestive issues. It may be that it would be easy to overeat cheese -I will keep an eye on that. I do plan on testing several different kinds of cheese/dairy separately before coming to a general dairy conclusion.

Very pleased about this. I am not a cheese fanatic like my best friend but I do quite enjoy it.

I am not sure what I will test this weekend. Maybe coconut flour. Maybe fermented radishes.

Update-scale 212.2 [low], 18.6 lost

The low was a nice surprise this morning and a friend at work who knows about my current eating plan said she could see a difference. I find it helpful to hear from others, a bit of validation is encouraging for me and helps me get out of my own head.

- c

not joke on this, 99.9% of my cravings is purely in the mind. Food on tv, smells of food, what my family orders when out, old favs on holidays. life is food everywhere. food in our face. food ordered and eaten at the drop of a hat. 24/7 food available at all times! ALL a mind game for me. My life goal was change my mindset about how to eat thru life on a true lifestyle change AND love doing just that LOL

the sugar will swing BS numbers for sure and not feed the body well and we truly physically crave foods/anything, we are starved and hungry........if we change to way lower carb and good protein and eat well like we should, we do very well and the body truly does not want, we experience IF situations cause we are fed so well and bs is controlled.... we feel that great energy and that vibrancy but then you have to deal with sights and smells of food all around us.......talk about a tough play thru life

life certainly isn't fair but I decided to just accept it for what it is. Being unable to process carbs correctly and being insulin resistance isn't fun but it's part of who I am.

I have many, many things which are an upside in my life so I focus on those instead.

Is Freedom through Boredom possible? - update 9/12/18

I won't deny that my current way of eating is really, really boring to me. It is. Some people love to eat the same things over and over but I have always craved new tastes and cuisines. I love trying out new local sourced restaurants in my city. Or a new dry wine. Or waiting for the in-season berries or tomatoes.

But I have dropped all that for now and I am trying to accept the boredom.

In fact, after thinking about it last week I decided to try to embrace it. What if I used my limited food list to make my life as easy and decision free as possible.
    So last week on 9/6/18 I implemented a new lunch plan.

Currently I am eating the same thing for lunch M-F which is my work week. [beef patties and bacon] I don't need to think about what I am going to bring to work, the decision is already made. If I need patties or bacon the next day I cook them the night before. I have only done it for 5 days and it feels weird to me to have even less variety than I could but it does streamline food planning and cut back on decision fatigue. I don't know if I will do it long term.

This is part of my quest/plan to see food more as fuel not entertainment. To change my identity from foodie and fabulous home cook to someone who eats something easy that results in me feeling healthy and vibrant afterwards.

I will be honest, it's not easy and truly I don't know if I can shift my identity. Part of me doesn't want to.... progress not perfection. I am still figuring it out step by step and that's ok. fortunately I tend to be quite patient.

Update-scale: 211.4 [low], 19.4 lost

Another surprising low but I will take it as motivation to be patient with the boredom.

-c

I did the same.
    I accepted my best path is zero carb being so sensitive to them. I feel superior on no carbs but I had to accept just like you are doing. Once you do accept and 'let it go' it truly becomes easier. Never totally easy but sure easier.

you are doing SO well! Happy for you truly. You are working your way thru all the mess that comes with a very big lifestyle change! Keep on rocking it out!

One of those days #1

I had one of those low mood days. Nothing went wrong. I fasted 25+ hours and had a nice meal after work with bacon, lamb and steak.
    No weight change. Ragweed allergy still a bit troublesome.

Work is fine, life is fine. It's probably hormone-based but I just feel a bit low.

That's ok, I had extra water, I stayed on my eating plan. I didn't push and I tried to be nice to myself.
    The day was a success... and hopefully tomorrow will be an up mood day.

- c

I am allergy person also and it can wreck me for sure
    thing is SO many say they got better on allergies with so much food elimination down to 0 carb like me, sure did not happen for me!

hope the mood shifts up for ya!!

yes my late summer allergy has not responded much to eating change, although I usually snore this time of the year and apparently I am not ... so that may be pointing to less inflammation... I do also take a supplement for my allergies which tends to help so it's unlikely it's all diet change related.

extra time and what to do with it - update 9/14/18

I am a person who responds well to an emergency but if it's not an emergency it takes me awhile to adjust to transitions and change.

It's been 7 weeks since my eating change and I am pleased with my progress. I have written in my journal [and here] about my food changes. Weight and inflammation down, it's been hot and muggy past couple of days but no swelling.

Sometimes I question if I have more energy. I get up at 6 and by 9 or so I hit the wall, the brain turns off and I have to get ready for bed. That's only a 15 hour days. But I think I do have more energy and I also have more time. I do so much less food planning, shopping and cooking. Makes me a bit sad sometimes this change but I am beginning to adjust.

Now I need to create new routines to use with this extra time. I have lots of things I like to do hike, knit, read, dog train but it's will probably take me a while to get used to this change. But I know I will. I got through a big work transition this summer when grad school ended and I will figure this out as well!

-c

Seven week Update -scale: 211.2 (low), 19.6 gone, mood is more up

what supp are you taking that helps allgeries? inquiring minds like to know HA...thanks

My doctor recommended Quercetin to me a couple of years ago and it seems to help. However you do need to build up a level of it in your body, one dose will not make a difference.

the sweet taste reset- update 9/15/18

In some ways I haven't changed much with my eating. I have been eating low carb for over 10 years and have kept 60+ pounds off. I gave up sugar in 2002. I have done elimination diets looking for food sensitivities in 2010. I read and researched intermittent fasting 2+ years ago and have been applying it in a low-key way,

One change was Eating extreme low carb by eating mostly animal products for 7 weeks. Exceptions are coffee/tea/a couple of supplements/avocado oil in mayo which all are plant based.

By far the biggest change I made was giving up stevia. [I use the tincture drops, not the powder forms] I have various thoughts about this change. I am still not convinced I needed to do it. but I did.

I am not convinced that stevia triggers insulin that much. I know Jason Fung argues in the Obesity Code that it does due to its high level of processing. I don't think that is true- if you have ever tasted a stevia leaf [I have] it is very sweet all on it's own, no processing. Of course honey is also very sweet with no processing and I don't doubt that it triggers insulin... So no stevia for me now.

The other reason I decided to live without stevia or any other sweeteners for awhile were my cravings came back this year. I hadn't had cravings for so long and they were so surprising and unpleasant. I decided a complete sweetness reset was needed. I am currently craving free. I will experiment with stevia in the future but I don't know when.

Now various herbal teas taste very sweet to me, so do scallops. I wonder if they also trigger insulin to release? It's always amazing to me how sensitive we can get to the sweet taste.

- c

Update - scale 211[low] 19.8 gone

the great fermented radish experiment -day 1 results - update 9/16/18

This weekend I am experimenting with a plant. Fermented [lacto-fermented] radishes.

I love, love, love fermented veggies. I love things that taste sour and I have really been missing that taste for the past 7 weeks.
    Radishes are already very low carb [actually all fermented veggies even beets and carrots are low carb] The serving sizes are small.

So this weekend I am adding fermented veggies back to my eating. I had some with dinner last night and will again today for lunch and dinner.

Thus far, I have not noticed any negatives from adding these back to my diet. I am not concerned about them being insulin-triggering but I will be watching out for digestion difficulties and craving increases. So far so good.

This coming week is extra busy at work so I am planning on increasing my fasting periods, we'll see how it goes.

Update -scale: 210.8 [low] 20! pounds gone excited to have met this mini goal, one fifth of the way to my big goal.

the great fermented radish experiment -day 2 results

I sat outside for several hours yesterday and enjoyed it but are my allergies mad at me! I am not sure if how I feel is more allergy related or it could be related to the radishes.

I feel bloated, fuzzy in the head, lower in energy, neck ache. Not horrible but not quite right. So I will probably need to run this experiment again when allergy season is over.

I also learned something last night. I was researching some restaurants for an upcoming vacation outside of my eating window, which is usually noon to 6. I got so hungry just by the power of suggestion. So I actually had a snack [bite of cheese, slice of bacon and finished a piece of sausage]. It was all in my head but it was so unexpected my brain turned off. I didn't have a pre-made decision to fit the scenario.

Now that I am aware of this I know to not research restaurants unless I am in an eating window. So lesson learned. So grateful I stayed in my eating plan.

For the rest of the week: Hopefully the rain has lowered the pollen count. I will be doing a couple 42 hour fasts and as always trying to increase my awareness around food and my triggers. A bunch of busy days coming up at work, hopefully that will keep me distracted from food when I need to be distracted.

- c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.