Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Cervyn's Current Very Low Carb Experiment Journal

Day 3 of my January 2019 Fast + scale updates

Day 3 is winding down thank goodness. I am 69h in. My GKI ratio is under 1. I had less cravings today but when I got home from work they were much stronger. Still I have not eaten so far. I may have a cup of broth tonight. There will be others cooking in the house this evening. I am not looking forward to the smell of food. sigh. I still do not feel hungry. Everything is all in my head and when I am not distracted my head is pretty pissed off.

I do not do water only fasts. Maybe someday I will be there but I am not there now. Since my main goal is to lower insulin I use the fasting aids that affect insulin the least.

I use broth, heavy cream in coffee or chai sometimes, black coffee, all kinds of teas, olive brine, fermented veg liquid, vinegar, salt crystals, sparkling water, a teaspoon of pure bacon fat or butter when needed.

So I am committed to not eating the rest of the evening. I really want to see if the 4th day gets easier. That would be so awesome. I have lots of distractions planned for tomorrow.

-c

I forgot to post my scale low yesterday so here are two.

Update new low-scale 186.6, 44.2 gone 1/3/19
    Update new low-scale 185.2, 45.6 gone 1/4/16

wow you are doing just wonderful!

I also do a, what some call, a dirty fast. Dirty as in broth, good fats etc. I think they are fine, I mean come on ya know HAHA What we are doing is a great thing vs our old ways so ANY and all ways to get thru a fast well is such a great resource to us and a good way to go!

keep on rocking it out!!!! You are definitely inspiring me to buckle down! Cool!!

Day 4 of my January 2019 Fast + scale update

So true any positive change should be celebrated. Someone said in my group last night: "If progress is slow, quitting won't make it faster." Resonates with me.

I am at 86 hours. So no matter what this is my longest fast to date. Halfway through day 4. Will it be as smooth-sailing from here on out like it is for many? Will I feel euphoric? I will see.

My GKI was under 1 again this morning so I am firmly in fat-burning mode and I had a new scale low which I always find cheering.

It's still morning and I am not feeling hungry at all. My brain is always much quieter in the mornings which is lovely. I got way more sleep last night so that was wonderful. Woke up with a bit of a headache, drank some salty brine and took tylenol. I do feel revved up from the fast which maybe why sleep has been so-so. (I am usually a champion sleeper) Yesterday I was careful to only drink one caffeinated tea. The rest of my tea/coffee through the day was decaf -- that may have helped last night.

My sinuses are feeling clogged still, perhaps a leftover from the cold?

Many planned distractions for the rest of the day. I do feel nervous about tomorrow though. I feel as though if I don't break my fast Sunday I am really committing through the rest of the week (barring feeling very sick). It's really all in my head though. Our heads are funny places.

-c

Update new low - scale 183, 47.8 shed 1/5/19 - I have now lost 20% + of my starting weight from August 1 2018!! I have not seen numbers this low since 2004.

hey girl I am in sinus clog mode also right now LOL winter seems to do that, mess with us!

KEEP ON TRUCKING!
    So happy to read your new low and you gaining great success!

I gave up my decaf tea. One day I was sipping on some and really tasted it, ya know. I swirled it in my mouth, really tasted it and it was bitter. Kinda off tasting. Really didn't like the taste and it made my tongue weird, weird as is in not numb, not really noticeable as a thing, but just icky in a way....so I threw it all out and said screw paying for that ever again HAHA You know finding a good sub to drink is hard. I hate coffee, gave up tea, gave up fake sweetner crap like Crystal light etc. My options for drinking are very limited, but over the years I just grab water now and not think about it.

Yes our heads are funny and can work so against us.
    I remember old days I would justify eating while not hungry. Yup. If I knew of a situation coming, like leaving to go to the mall with kiddo or something, I best eat anyway before I go just in case. I wasn't even hungry at all before I left but I would eat anyway 'just in case'. I am learning to stop that. I realized I can find food everywhere I go out in this world LOL I can get a naked burger fast. I can hit a BBQ place for ribs if needed. I can hit alot of food options if required. I realized I didn't want to ever eat 'just in case' when not hungry anymore. Took a long time to get that pattern out of my life. Now I eat when hungry and gave up my excuse to eat when not hungry....just in case, I might get hungry later so I best eat now....wow...what a crazy excuse I gave to myself to keep eating all the time HAHA oh well...heads are strange.

I am starting Day 3 fast today. I am hoping I make it and will go from there. I do know one thing, if I hit a starve, gotta eat or drop to the ground feeling I will eat a small meal. I push, but I never go crazy on myself for any reason. Nice thing about fasting is we can truly do it anyway we need to do it. Work it well into our life and not make it an all or nothing type thing. I like that

Hold strong! You are doing fab!

Day 5 of my January 2019 Fast + scale update

Yes that 'just in case' eating was a killer and a strange thing. I attributed it to all of us being told to eat many small meals. The problem with that is that your insulin (=fat storing hormone) is then getting triggered 6+ times a day, not a good thing for many people.

It is so freeing to travel and not bring food 'just in case'. If I can't eat at airport or whatever no big deal I just fast... so much easier.

So yesterday was a good day, I had tons of distractions and thought about food very little. Still not hungry. I walked around a lot and enjoyed my time with my friends. I did have a dull headache for about 12 hours. I took tylenol and tried to ignore it. No euphoria but I do have plenty of energy. Sinuses still not normal - due to the cream in coffee? I drink it black when not fasting.

My brain 'got me back' later by thinking about food before I went to sleep. So weird as I never eat at that time. And then this morning as I was lying sleepily in bed I realized I was planning Sunday lunch for next weekend and thinking lovingly about what I would cook. Geesh. Usually mornings I do not think about food. I keep reminding myself "I am not my thoughts".

I am currently approaching 111 hours. which is great and my longest. My GKI is under 1, firmly in fat-burning mode. However it is daunting when I realize I am not even halfway through yet. sigh. I try not to think about that part. I am taking it one day at a time. I am still not hungry.

Well I am committed to fasting Sunday and I fast Mondays as I have strength training Tuesday mornings which I like to do fasted. So that's another 2 days. Perhaps by then finishing out the rest of the time will seem easy. My brain is whispering 'that will give you 7 days, surely that's enough, stop then'. My brain opinionated and likes to chatter at me about food/eating.

-c

Update new low - scale 181.2, 49.6 shed 1/6/19. I am finding approaching 50# released very motivating.

Do you mean regular decaf black tea? I wouldn't bother drinking that either.

But I love mint green tea, or gingerbread orange tea or Egyptian licorice tea or vanilla tea. Some of the flavored herbals are delightful to me. I am always seeking out new flavors to try, I don't like them all but I like many.

I tend to not like ones with rose hips or hibiscus...

yea the reg. old decaf tea bags. I never liked flavored tea, you know that orange zinger or raspberry whatever LOL You are gonna talk yourself right into doing the whole fast...smart way of thinking, just a another day, get that day out of the way....hey it will work for ya!!!

Day 6 of my January 2019 Fast + scale update

Day 6, it's great to be over halfway to my fasting goal. The end is in sight.

I am at 131 hours. My GKI is 0.677 so in the therapeutic fat-burning mode. I am ready to fast through this day.

No euphoria or peace has hit yet. In fact late yesterday I was feeling quite depressed and was thinking it was due to fasting but it is the anniversary month of my mom's death so that is also bringing up sadness. I felt bloated for part of yesterday which seems weird as my digestion is basically empty. Mysterious. I did think I was having a bit of real hunger yesterday which is great although odd for me. I encouraged my body to eat up all those yummy stored fries I have on my thighs.

I am happy for the lows on the scale, I find them validating. The best motivation would be measuring my insulin resistance and knowing it is healing but there is no way to do that.

Slept well, Getting a bit of a headache. Not too bothersome. My brain's yammering seems a bit quieter, it seems more defeated kind of like 'you aren't ever going to really eat again are you?' My brain is a major drama queen.

-c

Update new low - scale 180, 50.8 shed 1/7/19. Over halfway to my weight loss goal as well!

I SEE THAT BIG OLD 50 MARK!!! Happy for you. You hit a new decade CONGRATS! Rock it out gal, you are doing fine!

I believe over coming the drama queen brain suits us in so many aspects of our lives. Our attitudes, our attempts, our goals, desires and wants, all over the total life is in this brain we got, I think our mindsets of alot of it is so important to move ahead in fine fashion for ourselves!!

maybe I should see a shrink HAHA nah, I would rather spend the bucks on my ribeye steaks and crab legs LOL....but I think a bit of researching changing our thinking to only positive and more is in my sights now....should be interesting

Day 7 of my January 2019 Fast + scale update

Day 7 is almost over and I so happy about that.

Today was the first day I came really close to breaking my fast I had a lot of stress at work this afternoon. I am feeling better now but I am sure all that cortisol in my system was not helpful. I really wanted to turn to food I was so upset but I didn't and it was hard and sucked big time. I am pretty sure it is partly PMS.

Some of my family, while supportive, worry about the fasting. I tried reassuring them that I have plenty of stored french fries on my bum to feast on. This is why I don't talk about my weight loss or fasting to many -- too many people just consider it too weird. I do not have the energy to discuss or educate them. I have to save my energy for reaching my goals. Because this is not easy for me, I get bored, frustrated and I want to give up frequently. Perhaps after I meet goal and feel comfortable I will be able to talk to more people.

I am at 166hours+ almost ready to start day 8. I am starting to think I can really do this! I am 70% of the way there. I will keep going and hope. My GKI was again below 1, no headache, great lifting workout. I did more than my body-weight on the leg press. No euphoria or peace but my brain was quieter again. Today it seemed to by sulking and grumbling, "seriously are you still doing this, ugh will this ever end, poor me" All this thinking over a few missed meals.

Seriously looking forward to the end. Hoping for a better day emotionally tomorrow.

-c

Update new low - scale 179.6, 51.2 shed 1/8/19. In the 170s!

Day 8 of my January 2019 Fast + scale update

Well I have fasted 191 hours so far and day 8 of my fast is almost over. 80% done. GKI still under 1. I feel calm, but no euphoria train had pulled up. It helps to not think about the fact that I still have 2 more days to go. I made the decision, I am doing it so there doesn't seem much point to mulling it over.

I had a pretty good day mentally. Brain has been quieter. Slept quite well although it was rather hard to fall asleep. Was very busy at work so had a lot of good distractions. Energy good.
    My gut is a bit uncomfortable, I think my body is really starting to want food? Perhaps this is what actual hunger feels like? I had a few periods of 'want to eat' but they were blissfully short.

I planned out my Sunday luncheon today and thinking about a menu didn't trigger cravings. I simply looked forward to eating those foods come Sunday.

I have lost 8.4 pounds on this fast so far. I hope to lose more.
    Many people gain back at least some weight post fast, but I was firmly in fat-burning mode when I started so ... time will show.

Today was the seventh day in a row with a new low - first time that has happened.
    It was a small movement but everything counts for me.

-c
    Update new low - scale 179.4, 51.4 shed 1/9/19

Day 9 of my January 2019 Fast

I am at 214 hours and my fast is over.

I almost made it ten days and I am really proud of myself. My longest fast previously was 75 hours so I really stretched myself.

Most of day 9 has been good. I have been feeling creative and energetic though not peaceful or euphoric. My GKI was under 1 again this morning so continued to burn fat. I did not have a new low today. My head was pretty quiet all day.

I broke my fast at dinnertime tonight because I was starting to feel quite unwell. I was not hungry at all but sick. My chest felt weird and I wasn't dizzy but at the same time I thought I might faint. Nothing helped so I knew it was time.

I am happy I did this fast. I am even happier it is over. It was certainly rewarding to lose almost 9 pounds. I also feel like I made great strides in reversing my insulin resistance. I don't know if I would ever do such a long fast again. 3 days certainly, probably 5 days perhaps once a month, but over a week? I suppose if I was experiencing a long plateau and needed to jump start my weight loss I would do it. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

So I am slowly eating some meat and cauli-rice. The bathroom is nearby just in case. I am content. It does feel rather weird to be sitting down to a plate of food.

-c

a good bye

I am saying good bye to this forum as the last person who posted on it besides myself (zerocarb) said she was leaving as it is inactive. It also seems broken, I get many error pages when I try to post.

I know there are some people who have been reading and I hope at least something I wrote struck a chord for you.

I am not sure if I will continue onto another forum. At the moment I do not want to do so. I am part of the obesity code network fb group but I do not post there.

I will probably post on my personal blog, at engagedbliss.blogspot.com but be warned if you follow me there I have had that blog for 10+ years and have talked about many, many things on it. Writing, grief, getting married and other stuff.

It is not a weight-loss journal blog. In fact I did not use it at all all during grad school.

However I will use it for weight-loss tracking this year as I need to keep myself awake and aware. I am not stopping halfway.

Wishing all success in 2019.

-c (48 pounds to goal!)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.