I'm a carb addict and I need HELP!

BMI

I'm a carb addict and I need HELP!

Hello Everyone,

I am not new to low carb but it has been years since I first began and years off the plan. I've tried several times since and failed but this carb addiction is getting out of control and this morning I put my foot down after wanting to throw the scale through the shower door.

This is going to be a struggle at first because I have no support people who do low carb outside of the forum, only people who shove the food in my face and say "eat"...now I just have to say NO!

I will absolutely love to lose these extra lbs and show everyone this is going to be a life change and not just another diet.....so here I begin.....

Where student drivers are taught to avoid "road apples"
    Just wanted to wish you the best - All of us know it's not easy, especially when every food out there seems to be carb-centric, and worse than that, you have a carb-pusher trying to get you to eat things you KNOW are going to be a problem.

It can be done though. Once you get through the first tough couple of weeks, you'll feel so much better, and the longer you stick with LC, the easier it'll be to just say no - and MEAN it!

BMI
    Thank you, and you are so right, and I am really in need of this as a life style change....I haven't officially started yet because I have to wait till my direct deposit comes in. I may have to order some things online because they don't stock everything I need in the small community I live in.

Even though I haven't officially started yet I have cut carbs and sugar out and making my food list so I can officially start on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolasue View Post
    Thank you, and you are so right, and I am really in need of this as a life style change....I haven't officially started yet because I have to wait till my direct deposit comes in. I may have to order some things online because they don't stock everything I need in the small community I live in.

Even though I haven't officially started yet I have cut carbs and sugar out and making my food list so I can officially start on Monday.
    I'm not sure what all you would need to get started. I say that as an old person who did LC for the first time back in the early 70's - there really weren't any LC-friendly "products" at all out there back then, except for liquid saccharin. It's not that I don't use any specialty products at all now, but they really aren't necessary, and most of the time I really don't use specialty products, especially since I can make a lot of LC friendly substitutions from regular grocery store items.

I can get by with a package of cheap bone-in chicken thighs, some cheese, some ground beef, eggs, and butter, plus some cream and cream cheese, along with a few LC veggies. Eating bare-bones LC is certainly not a taste-tantalizing plan, but sometimes it's easier to make the change if you're eating fairly boring food.

Although everyone is different, and I fully realize that a lot of people need to have LC friendly substitutions for some of their favorite high carb foods, especially at the beginning, so they aren't tempted to go off plan.

Here's to you sticking to plan - you can do this!

BMI
    When I did low carb before I pretty much stayed to the basics so I totally understand what you are saying. I unfortunately have jury duty next week and decided I might have to do Atkins Shakes at least the first day there and they don't have much to choose from here.

The only other thing I would like to have that I can't buy around here are the small lc wraps although I won't use them during induction I will either have to order them or do without because I cant find them here.

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it!

Ack! Jury Duty! No wonder you need something quick and easy, but not readily available.

I've been eating a lot of chicken salad for lunches at work. We have a microwave in the break room, but in hot weather, I really don't want hot food most of the time. So what I do is to cook up some split chicken breasts, pull the meat off, chop it up and mix with mayo. I use one of those blue-ice things in my insulated lunch bag to keep a small container of the chicken salad cold, and bring a fork with me. It's really quick and easy for lunches. (When I feel like eating something hot, that's when I do the chicken thighs I mentioned above)

BMI
    I am still hoping I don't get chosen, maybe I will get lucky. I don't like hot stuff either when its so hot outside. I will get my shopping done tomorrow and should be good to officially get started.

I'm hoping that when I start losing I can get my daughter to start on this too, if I have good results I think she will be encouraged to join me, that would make things a lot easier around here.

I was called for jury duty once, years and years ago. Didn't get picked, although I was chosen for one voire dire - I think that's what it's called, where they herd a bunch of potential jurors into the courtroom, where the defendant is sitting, and then decide which ones to have on the actual jury. At any rate, I remembered the defendant from a newspaper article photo. Unfortunately they didn't ask if anyone knew about his case from the news, just whether they knew him, or of they had any special knowledge about the "incident" on whatever date it was (as if anyone not personally involved in that DUI would remember the exact date). They finally asked if anyone had any other reasons they didn't think they would be suitable for the jury, and since I couldn't mention out loud that while I didn't personally know the guy, but had seen photos of him in the newspaper article about his arrest (they would have had to throw out that entire jury group if I said that), yeah, I did - my dad was in the hospital after brain surgery, and had just had a heart attack, so I felt like my mind would be too distracted to pay much attention to the case.

At the end of that day, the judge called everyone into the main courtroom, where he said that because jurors are called for 5 days of this "jury waiting", it was Friday, we were already on day 3, and he couldn't see any of the cases currently up next on the docket lasting less than a week, he was dismissing all of us for the remainder of our 5 days. We all cheered!

DH was called to jury duty one time too - he was only there one day, because he'd been chosen for the voire dire for a local very highly publicized murder case. He worked in the local media at the time, and had done news stories on the case, so he was immediately out of that jury pool, and - apparently this had something to do with the voire dire he'd been chosen for being for such a highly publicized case, but he said everyone who was not picked for that jury was told they were dismissed from the remainder of their jury duty.

I hope you end up with a similar experience, but if you do end up on a case, I hope you don't end up sequestered!

Best of luck on your lc journey

There is only one thing to remember. You have control over what goes in your mouth and down your gullet LOL

It is a simple choice every single meal. You choose the lc food and make the food work for you and your new lifestyle. Do not embrace ANY excuses to eat junky and just follow your chosen path. Only you can truly make the changes you desire. No one else is in your body, your mind, your predicament on how you want your lifestyle change to happen. Count on yourself to make the right choices all the time You got this!!

LC is a wonderful lifestyle full of great benefits! When we drop the junky/chemical laden/sugary foods out there we improve ourselves immediately! Sounds like you are ready to go on the attack and change your lifestyle to LC. Rock On!!

BMI
    Yes I am ready, I finally got my shopping done today so this chic is ready, of course I always forget something but tnothing to keep me from moving forward.

We all know this is a choice and I have made a lot of bad choices, sometimes I am my own worse enemy but I have made a choice to make changes and begin this new journey and I truly believe that LC is the way to go.

it boiled down for myself......how bad do I want XYZ changes and how much work I was willing to put into it.
    I was surprised how hard I had to fight MYSELF to get the results I wanted.....lol....yes I was my own worst enemy also.
    I mean come on here, bad food can taste absolutely wonderful, but ya get the worst from it.....but once you find ALL THE GREAT foods that work FOR you.....boy oh boy can you delve into another realm of eating. Eating great from the lc world time on eating lc plan works wonders.

I challenged myself.
    HOW long can I eat on an very low carb plan and I started tracking that process...those days...as my motivation to continue. It wasn't how low can I lose on the scale, how long can I hold out without eating some nasty foods, etc.......it was ALL about how many days can I string today a great perfect on plan eating day? And then I wanted to add more days and more days and more days and that challenge to me helped me so much. eh, just something I did LOL to make it work for me

rock on!
    change will happen if we want it bad enough.
    we have ourselves to count on and everyone deep down has that killer instinct to change ourselves to what we desire within reason of course so go for it!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.