Here for help and support

Here for help and support

Hi,
    I'm Jill and doing Atkins for the first time in many years. I was very successful with it then and look forward to being as successful this time.
    I posted prior to this one asking for help regarding ketosis.
    I hope I can get some answers.
    I'm happy this forum is here.

Welcome! You will be successful this time!
    Sorry, but I don't see your post about keto. What do you need to know?

Hi - thanks.
    My problem is getting INTO Ketosis.
    I have a carb app. I'm tracking carbs (total AND net), fat and protein. I'm drinking water.
    I cannot get into ketosis. With the strips I'm in the low to moderate range. It's been a week and 2 days.
    I did this about 20 years ago with great success.
    I am NOT exercising like I should because I broke a foot back in December and it's taking forever to heal ((which is partly the cause of the weight gain I'm trying to lose now).

I don't want to give up because I KNOW it works but so far the only thing that is happening is me feeling like I've gained 10 pounds of fat since I started.

BMI
    Hi Jill, This must be so frustrating.

I posted a long answer to your other post. I forgot to ask you, are you weighing or measuring? You say you FELT like you gained 10 pounds since you started, but have you really?

I also hear a bit of fat phobia in you voice. “HOW ON EARTH CAN I EAT SO MUCH FAT AND LOSE WEIGHT?” We all gp though that. We have been so brainwashed. Actually, if you ate MORE fat, and less protein then maybe you would be deeper ketosis.

If you really are getting 20 or lose carbs and not eating too much protein then you are in ketosis no matter what the strips say. Sometimes, after you are efficiently in ketosis, the body is using the ketones for brain and body energy so they do not get passed through your urine. The strips will not read true. I suggest you trust yourself and stop the strips if you are doing what the other post says. No hidden carbs and not too much protein. Trust yourself. You are in ketosis.

Let us know if you are weighing or measuring or if your clothes fit differently.

I am glad you found this forum, this is where I started years ago. I found it really helps to have others to ask questions and bounce idea off of. I suggest you start a journal. That is where you will be able chat, ask questions, post your food and what ever and then be able to find it.

Saw your post and just replied. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Aradasky View Post
    I also hear a bit of fat phobia in you voice.
    This made me cry. ... but it's only been that way for about 40 years.

I am going to pull out the old scale this morning. Although typically I only weigh myself when I think I'm going to like what I see...

BMI
    Jill, We have so much brainwashing to overcome. We have been “fed” so much wrong information about food for so many years. It is hard not to believe the “government” I know. But they are wrong. Just down and out WRONG about fat. At least the good fats. Once we take that in, it is so much easier to eat the right/healthy way.

Stay here and talk, we will help you.

Thank you so much.
    I look forward to learning a lot from you and gaining a lot of insight from the others in here.

You need to read Dr. Atkins. Tells you that fat and protein are key. They feed the body. Carbs rob the body.

Like Arlene said, those keto strips are not reliable truly. Only a blood test shows the real truth of ketones in the body.

If you are in the 20 total carb range and not eating carbs truly, then yes you are in ketosis Your body has to be there. It has no other option at all.

Ketones burn at different levels thru your low carb situation. A newbie might show huge ketone dumps on the strips but another person may not because different ketones are dumping and changing in your body. The strips only measure 1 kind of ketone and they burn off and dump in the urine at different levels so accurate strip testing might not happen at all. When one is in a deep ketone burning state, heck on a strip you won't even turn the strip hardly at all. SO yea forget those strips.

The body must have fat and protein to live. Everything else is not needed. So never be scared of fat and protein. It is when you combine that with high carbs (which is sugar intake) then you got the troubles of a SAD menu.

you will do great. Just read up on Dr Atkins. Tells you all the turth about carbs and how good fat and protein are for you

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.