Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Steadyed's (Greg's) Journal; Start= Nov 11,2017

BMI

Steadyed's (Greg's) Journal; Start= Nov 11,2017

I'm getting thru day 3. The late afternoon and before bed time is my nemesis. Got some good advice from Aradasky and ZeroCarb. Putting a few days behind me means so much right now as I have been through the "promise a day" program. Don't want to go back to that. Hard to make a promising start and not make it through the very day. That grinds me down time and time again. So now just saying that is good. Just working on making it to bedtime. Looking into my heart to see if there is any fire there. Grateful to have gotten to the third day. Can't really get a good start by myself. I am thankful to ZeroCarb and Aradasky. Muchas gracias for staying in touch. Right now I am eating broccoli and meat, salad and celery and gallons of coffee. That's to get me thru my first twenty days. Not even counting carbs until I have thrown out every hidden candy bar, cracker box and soft drink, sugar bag and cookie, bag of nuts, etc. GREG

Greg you asked about keto strips. Some people love them but in all honesty you do not need to waste your money on those Buy meat instead!! If you are eating such a low carb count, YOU WILL be in ketosis point blank, so because of this I never spent bucks on strips, I bought real meat/seafood instead LOL

Ditch the celery. Useless in life.

Remember to eat if hungry. You are 1000% better eating til full (meat/chicken/fish/seafood) then you are being hungry at any time. You do not have to be hungry at all. Eating all the meats you want means you will be satisfied and not look for other junk. It is important NOT to be hungry when you start into extreme low carb.

You got this! Just make sure you are full! Make sure it is alot of meat and small amt of salad.

You might go thru adaption period of changing from a glucose burning body to a ketone burning body. Maybe a headache, tired, icky feeling kinda thing this this WILL PASS sooner than you think IF YOU eat well and not let yourself get hungry.

best of luck and chat about how you are doing.

BMI

What does ketosis feel like?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCarb View Post
    Greg you asked about keto strips. Some people love them but in all honesty you do not need to waste your money on those Buy meat instead!! If you are eating such a low carb count, YOU WILL be in ketosis point blank, so because of this I never spent bucks on strips, I bought real meat/seafood instead LOL

Ditch the celery. Useless in life.

Remember to eat if hungry. You are 1000% better eating til full (meat/chicken/fish/seafood) then you are being hungry at any time. You do not have to be hungry at all. Eating all the meats you want means you will be satisfied and not look for other junk. It is important NOT to be hungry when you start into extreme low carb.

You got this! Just make sure you are full! Make sure it is alot of meat and small amt of salad.

You might go thru adaption period of changing from a glucose burning body to a ketone burning body. Maybe a headache, tired, icky feeling kinda thing this this WILL PASS sooner than you think IF YOU eat well and not let yourself get hungry.

best of luck and chat about how you are doing.

Iíve got some left from a low carb go a few years ago. No expense there. Want to be able to develop a sense of what ketosis feels like. Want to see if the stix show the change tween low carb and no carb. Love the idea of eliminating every vestige of sugar. Iím game for no carb, just got to be patient and keep putting days behind me. Iíll start counting carbs for real on Monday. Would like to keep it under 20 grams per day for twenty days. Also, I have an Atkins carb counter, what do you use? Favorite books about sugar?

BMI
    You can use the strips if you want to experiment. It is good to know what Ketosis feels like for you, too.

EAT FAT!!!!
    As a matter of fact, to get through the evenings, you might have some fat bombs ready for the times that are just tough. These help get you through and gradually, you will be not need them. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/20...t-bomb-recipes. Add fat to your meals, avos or butter or mayo on top of your meat, cook with Olive oil. Eventually, you will not be in the HABIT of eating so much and will not be as hungry and will be able to cut back on food in general. The reason we lose weight with this way of eating is because we cut back on food BECAUSE we are not hungry!!! But always use fat. I love coconut oil.

The best book I have read is https://smile.amazon.com/Art-Science...words=Low+carb. That and Wheat Belly both really helped me shape what I eat. https://smile.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly...40_&dpSrc=srch

Also be sure you are getting enough sodium
    http://www.lowcarbsite.com/showthrea...d-Low-Carb-WOE.

We will be here to talk.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    Thanks Aradasky, I have downloaded "The Art and Science" book and am reading that now. Cleaned out the house of candy crackers pastry soda, etc. Have been eating meat and brocolli for the last 4 days. I would like to formally enter into a strict Induction period, where I count, chart and learn to count every Carb. I am guessing 20 grams per day for twenty days. How does that sound? I know to keep hydrated and salted. If I don't find info in the downloaded book, I'll reread Atkins on Induction. Working in my shop every night!

BMI
    Ok, I am at the end of Day 4. That seems like something - after so many months of daily promises and failures. Early up tomorrow for some eggs and bacon. Drinking plenty of water (seltzer)! I have started in on the kindle book Art and Science, recommended by Aradasky. I like it. Tomorrow I'll take my starting weight and some body measurements and a "before" picture. Can't say how helpful and hopeful forum members ZeroCarb and Aradasky have been. See you tomorrow!

BMI
    Way to go, Greg!!! Yes, 20 carbs is the basic starting place. The app I recommended does NET carbs, (subtracking fiber) but MANY go by total carbs. Eat good food on the lists of the low Carb books, until you are not hungry right now. Do not worry about how much or calories. Later you will learn that fat calories are not the same as sugar calories. Eat FAT!! You have to add fat to do well. This is a great start! Cleaning out your pantry and fridge is HUGE! If it is not there, you can’t eat it! You will eventually not even want it anymore when you are in the grocery store.

If you feel crappy, it is called the Low Carb flu and salt is a good cure for that. You will read about sodium in the book you are reading. I still take it because I am under 20 carbs all the time. There are other minerals, like Magnesium and potassium that you will need to suppliment. Those are main ones I take.

Let us know how you are doing with everything, and be ready to go more by waist measurements and less by the scale. (Go watch the Doc Muscles vlogs that I posted today) https://www.docmuscles.com/are-you-l...ocmuscles-com/

https://www.docmuscles.com/doctalk-why-you-must-eat-fat-to-burn-fat-ketonianking-docmuscles/
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Use total carbs. Net is iffy on its truth of what is truly a carb or not but if you go by total carb count you eat there is no 'iffy' in there

Thing is if hungry eat. Never allow yourself to get hungry. When you do so thru changing into this extreme lc lifestyle, you might then talk yourself into eating junk etc. When hungry we do all the crazy things and give ourselves every excuse under the sun to do just that. Get back the sugar into our body.

So be sure you are never hungry. Always eating LC food is acceptable and you should never be hungry, ever. Just always grab your lc foods as you need and you are good to go

Read Fat of the Land. Tells so much

BMI
    Aradasky, Wow I've got a lot to do!. I am taking it one thing at a time. Starting with a good read of the book and carrying an eating journal and Carb counter. I did a rough calculation and today I am just under 20 Carbs. Is there a pocket Carb Counter? Something small. Today I had a "Premier Shake"from Costco mixed with two raw eggs and some powdered fiber, half a tomato with salad greens and a huge burger with cheese, no bun. Shrimp and Scallops for supper, lots of seltzer. I am OK, just working it a day at a time. Daily vitamin with potasium and such!

BMI
    Looks like going for total carbs will always overestimate which is good. I signed up for the Facebook site and haven't heard back yet about acceptance. The measuring tape will tell the story, I am not to worried about the weight, but I think it will come off. Is there a place on the site where I can track my weight or waist or Body Fat Percentage? Would also like to do a discreet and appropriate "before" photo and other photos as I go. Anything to keep my attention focused and not slip into non-communicating.

sounds like you are moving along very well

just take it one meal at a time and you got this. One meal, one decision to eat lc and roll from there....and the shrimp and scallops sounds super YUM!

I made a 3lb rack of ribs just for me yesterday. Ate 3/4 of the rack, couldn't eat another bite and I then had a small cheeseburger patty for dinner later in the day. I have that 1/4 rack of ribs with a big old bacon cheese omelet later to enjoy today....ahhh I eat so well HA

BMI
    Greg,
    I do not know of a pocket carb counter other than paperback books you can carry with you. I have an app on my phone that I used. I guess you could find a list online, print and make it into something you can carry.

To record your stats, look on the menu line at the top right of the page. It starts with Welcome, then your user name, notifications, My profile, Settings and log out.

Settings is where you can log your stats. Or post them in your journal. Be wary of the BMI number. It is just as bad as the scale.
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=106268439

BMI
    I like the idea of meat first; I'm new so a little hard to get my mind around meat with gobs of fat. I easily see lots of chicken fish and shrimp. I like brocolli and salad. Very careful about dressings and additives of any kind. I like to cook from scratch. I am on day 6, keeping my expectations really low for the first month. A ketostyx once in a great while with a weigh in. The tale of the tape will tell the truth for me. Watching what happens to the belly. That was the most obvious sign that I was in trouble. I don't care how many times I have tried and failed on Low Carb. This is the day I am on; day 6. I can make this as important as I want. Note to self: please don't let me forget the desperation that brought me here. Greg

BMI
    Arlene, thanks for that. I have a phone so I guess I have a pocket Carb counter too. I'll learn to not put a lot of importance in the scale or BMI. I do want to see some change in belly circumference. But I think once a month will be fine. Just trying to settle in to a routine, but trying to retain the motivating part of my desperation. I don't want to forget my lows, but I am glad to see them subside. Day 6 is almost done. Thanx, Greg.
    Today: Roast beef, salad, chicken water, water, water.

day 6 and before ya know it you will be on like day 66 with great results. time flies and passes whether we work on ourselves and do it right or not.

the old saying, dieting is hard, being healthy is hard, choose your hard and go for it.

you got this!

you do not have to eat gobs of fat
    a steak has a perfect portion of fat to meat ratio in it.
    If you like more fatty get a ribeye
    you like a bit less buy a NY strip

it isn't about gobs of fat LOL it is about eating good and being full and happy while doing it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.