Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Steadyed's (Greg's) Journal; Start= Nov 11,2017

BMI
    ZeroCarb, Lot there to digest! You have a great mindset. As Aradasky says, a Warrior attitude. I need that! I need to see that in you so I can coax it out of me. Thanks for the thoughtful, honest and thorough reply. Today is the day I have to be sure of; I'll start by stealing your "No Matter What" phrase. Where ever I find myself, pity-pot or not! Thanks for the time you spent replying. I want to spend a little time this weekend figuring out how in the hell I ever got so far from this forum. Greg Day2.

It is a lot to digest.

It is not just changing your eating to the 'good lc foods' If it was that simple every single person on the planet eating junk wouldn't be LOL
    There has to be planning. Extra thoughts on how to get thru social events. Reasons why you are doing these change and are they truly enough to make these changes last long term?

I had years to figure this out and what works for me Any newer person walking into big changes for life must find their own path also. But helpful hints etc. can make one apply them into their life is needed.

Like I said, take what is good and might help you out of any and all advice any LC'er will post. I did. If it was not for Arlene and a few key other posters and following how they handled these changes and got great results, I wouldn't be doing well at all. So just chill a bit cause as Arlene said, we all come and go from forums , it is those that come back who are the winners and those who do get a handle on their change, cause they want it bad enough and learn ways to cope.

hold strong, you got this

BMI
    Aradasky,
    Thanks for the gentle Welcome Back; I didn't drop that far down this time. No Candy, Ice Cream or desserts! But every bite of potato or bread set off a dopey feeling in me. It's like LowCarb knowledge is ruining my binges. It takes what it takes. Today is today and that means a plan. I'll get there. It's like I have some good knowledge, but not the big picture. So for today I am OK. I low Carbed today. What's my plan for tomorrow? Let's make one right now.
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, low carb (4) shake, zero carb fiber, coffee and water
    Lunch: Greek Salad with Genoa salmi, water, Cappuccino
    Supper: Large Burger and broccoli, water
    Amen for today. Greg

BMI
    ZeroCarb, Thanks for your point of view. It's gentle and strong at the same time. You are right, I can't get what I want with your plan. God Bless you, but I need my own plan, the thing I believe in! I had a good plan but I didn't have the tools to recognize or deal with the bullshit when it came up. Those are the tools that I need. So, a plan and tools. Thanks, Greg

oh yea, we will all eat different. certain foods will be our staples and ones that can make or break us staying on plan every single day.

It isn't what someone kinda is eating in a way, those who are successful find their own path and make it work how it must for them.

But they steal any and all tricks/tips/mindset changes etc that they read other's have used for their total success. Incorporate anything that helps them come along.

When you truly feel XYZ.....acknowledge it. Fix it. Find the fix that works for that situation then you have a 'go to'......as in every time you want to eat junky carby junk for whatever reason I will instead automatically eat my most favorite foods I love on plan.

I did that a lot every hard hard craving and I wanted to ditch this eating I would make a ton of crab legs and melted butter. omg I mean come on here, I was in heaven, eating on plan, happy as a lark and fixed my problem in the right way and not the wrong way....but I did this to suit me.

little things like that help cement in your changes. Helps you get thru situations.

Another is any big social event I was going to I would eat before. Always!!! I never ever left it to chance, being hungry among all kinds of good foods not good for me and maybe a few good 'lc options' that didn't hold a candle to the other junk around me.....so I never went hungry. I was full to the brim. I could then choose any good options and not feel slighted at all. Again these little tips are so important!

Sounds like you are on a roll again and doing for yourself as you need and that is what will work for ya and remember, ANY situation that irks ya in this change, come here and type about it. Many of us can suggest ways to think, fix, change, tips/tricks and more that you might be able to draw from that will suit your needs/lifestyle. It is all any of us can do, search out the best info among those who are succeeding and maybe fit some of it into our changes. Some works, some won't but all info can be changed up to suit us in some fashion.

BMI
    OK, ZeroCarb, thanks for all your detailed replies. I am inspiring myself again little by little. Loved the tool of eating full before social, family gatherings. Hard thing for me will be saying what irks me as I wasn't raised to do that. "Whatever it takes". Two eggs this morning, coffee bacon, no shake, and water, plenty of water. It will take me a few days to wash the remaining carbs out and to get some good clean hydration in me. I miss most the mindset I had and the communication with you guys. So let me get it back. A friend told me that "relapse is not contagious" and I appreciate how you have jumped right back in to help me. I will get there. So today is my goal, nothing bigger or fancier. Just today. I have got a plan and one new tool. Tonight I will make my new trigger food list. Shopping for shrimp and steak today. Lemon and no sauce for the shrimp and a little salt and pepper for the steak. Here we go into today. Thank you ZeroCarb and Aradasky! Greg

BMI
    Greg, we have to figure out what works for us. I have my plan, Steve has his, Zero has hers. We see them work by using this forum. They are very different from each other but each one is tailored to each person who KNOWS that they (we) can live like this-eat like this for the rest of our lives. It takes time, as you said we were not raised this way and it goes against the grain of most of the rest of the world but it works for us. The scary thing I see is that is is becoming almost a fad, including zero carb and I am afraid that will cause the medical and nutritional pro in our world become even more defiant. However, WE have the proof we need, gaining knowledge by our creating new habits, experiments and following our plan. Falling off/straying will happen - we are human - but coming back is the key.

Again, good to have you back.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Greg sometimes it isn't even a thought of get thru today, it is a thought of get thru the next meal only. That way there is no pressure about having to be a 'perfect' person into the future too far LOL

Most people no matter what they handle have failures. Learning to bike ride for the first time, then you become an expert. Learning to type, woof, can be super hard but with practice you are typing like a champ in no time. Going against every single food issue and how you have been raised to eat.

To me in a way it is all about training. What do you want to tackle? How do you train for it to be a positive factor in your life? That kind of thinking helped me realize it isn't that darn easy to make any and all major changes in ones lives and to learn new things and put them into play after decades of behavior.

Falling off and straying like Arlene said is going to happen to ALL. Key is coming back but another key at some point is realizing unless your behavior, mindset etc. doesn't change then it is a useless battle. Vicious cycle of try and fail. So at some point we have to pony up that extra gumption and 'get'er done' attitude. It took me a while to get that attitude but once you do, wow, the skies the limit on wonderful results

Hold strong!

BMI
    ZeroCarb, Thanks! So everyone is going to fall sometime, but the thing is to pick yourself up, dust off and get on the bike again. Just learn from the mistake and get better at not making the same mistake again, or at least recognizing when you are in that position again and this time do something different. Otherwise the cycle! That makes sense. My mistake last time, or at least part of it was a lack of humility. If you are thinking "I got this!", then the handful of cashews seems pretty easy to defeat. I didn't see the hidden army behind the handful of cashews. A trigger is a simple device, just a click, but then comes the boom! Trigger foods are what I need to really focus on if I don't want this to happen again. And I don't! As well as you have pointed out, I have to watch my situation closely; there are functions that are potentially trouble for me. When you combine a trigger food and an unguarded situation that is not good for me. So one meal at a time. This morning I can have a shake with two eggs and my no-carb fiber, then plenty of water. I shop again today, but I have decided to shop just for one days meals, no more planning a week out. The store is only a few minutes walk. Let's not complicate this< Greg

BMI
    Aradasky, That was good for me to hear. I gotta figure me out and what works for me. Or I won't own it. Gracias, Greg

Yes!! and another Yes! Triggers are deadly. The thoughts of 'I can have a little of my fav xyz foods'----most can't and never will but heck ya have to own this and learn by this

Trigger, I am starving and I don't want to cook the 'good lc food' so I will just eat a bag of chips instead LOL And what happens next you are starved point blank and eating the whole kitchen at this point.

Do not think DIET! You are not on a LC DIET! You are eating the LC LIFESTYLE which means you can eat. Eat AS MUCH LC foods at any and all times as you must eat to be happy and content and full and fueled. Never 'limit the lc food choices' cause once you do that you are NOW ON A DIET and even a more restrictive one then a 'regular old diet' where you CAN have other foods LOL

Drop old thinking of a diet. The diet is gone. This is LC LIFESTYLE and so what if you do not lose 2 lbs this week but ya ate great, all lc, all making your body feel its best? It is not about dropping lbs every week. The heavier people will drop faster and etc etc on this. It is 1000% about eating the lc lifestyle as we need, each of us, to change the inside. Change the body, heal the body and ALL this is by dropping carbs. Carbs ARE sugar point blank and sugar intake drives the body. Sugar up and down makes one crave. Makes one starve thru no nutrition in the body. And more of course

Ditch all sugar (which is all carbs ) and you got it whipped. Some can go 50 carbs and do well. Some can do 70 carbs and do well. Some have to go as low as ya can 'to do' well and THIS IS ALL about knowing who you are on the carb scale.

Dr A said it best.
    Start induction at biological 0 carb.
    THEN you add carbs. Do you do well or not? Can you gain some in eating or does it ruin you?

The walk to carb land is hard, cause most find around the 30 carb mark they can not go higher or the start to gain so fast.

reading the OLD atkins book is wonderful. The old way of Atkins when it first came out told so much great info.

WHO ARE YOU in carb land?

And that is how we find the personal low carb limit of all of us. CCL Critical Carb Limit Dr A said. Critical Carb Limit is very important.

ok don't wanna throw too much at ya

remember also LC'ers can get creative.

I just hit lobster tails on sale. Big sale. Grabbed a ton for the freezer. I mean a hunk of meat and a tail? Oh yea living large here and enjoying life to the max. I eat so well it is scary So you must love the food you eat, so what do you love, you go at it

No complications.
    All sugar (carbs) evil to the body.
    Protein and fat is all the body needs to survive and thrive.

Now go out and find all the protein and fat need to live with vitality a few veg thrown in there won't hurt ya if they are the right lc ones.

And every single time you eat the ultimate great LC meal, you give yourself a pat on the back cause you are one of those that have seen the light, are making the changes and feeling great doing it

BMI
    Trigger list is growing. Circling social events on my calendar. One meal at a time. Good day yesterday, but can't live on yesterday's success. The most importtant thing I did was to reach out and ask for help!
    GREG

Remember also the trigger list is carb foods. Protein and fat have no carbs That is why any and all 'small amt. of carbs' will easily start to trigger some people.

Super sensitive insulin people, carbs are the enemy cause you eat them, your blood sugar will raise fast and higher and then you are not in a stable blood sugar situation anymore. Protein and fat will never do that. Protein raises blood sugars very low and very slow no crash back down which then makes ya hungry.
    Blood sugar swings is what drives the body.....but then ya got the mind game and taste game to fight LOL We all love certain tastes, no doubt about that, so we got a true physical situation of the body happening with carbs, then we got the taste/old love of food favs we have to handle.

It is a huge monster change! I know, I been there HA HA and I think in the true end to all this stuff is how bad do you want to make the lc thing work for you? You have to truly desire these changes. Really want to eat this way and gain health benefits and energy and more but you have to want it deep down to hold it. After all my failures and bouncing between lc and carb land, I found I truly am a happier person on very very low carb. Zero carb suits me best. So after a lot of the thinking about it all, I choose my spot. I decided carb land is never an option for me any more and the zero carb/extreme lc days are my way to roll now. But I 'settled in well' on that decision. When I fought the food changes it was hard. Fought to 'keep a little' of this and that and I couldn't. It was just too hard to try to play the moderation game. Never worked for me. Works for many, but not me.

You got this. Apply the tools for success as you are doing and just keep at it and smile all the time knowing that you good old energy level will come back and you will feel wonderful and that is a priceless great result
    Last edited by ZeroCarb; 05-16-2018 at 06:28 AM.

BMI
    ZeroCarb, My goal is to use the Atkins list to identify vegetables that are super low in carbs, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. These don't trigger me, in fact they are somewhat bland and distasteful. I never had a broccoli spear and wanted to eat the whole head. This is a good middle ground for me to get to. I know I will lose weight and not be triggered with this addition. Once I see that this is moving me in the right direction I will headed towards deeper water. Had a good day yesterday, but that won't help me today. Social events have got to be prepared for. Eating big before I go and just making an appearance. Working hard on my bathroom and the yard! One day at a time with an eye towards the events that can cause me trouble! Drink water, Greg! Wash the old life away! Thanks, ZeroCarb GREG

Water is the real key to life We can only go like 3 days without water and die. Food we can get away with like months before dying so water is super important and a lot of us never drink enough.
    but the ketone burning lc body requires water to function well.

bland and distasteful. Serious question here, why the hell eat that? HA HA I love mushrooms. I like the taste and the compliment to a steak. If I went back to veggie eating it would be steak and mushrooms. There is no way any other veg would ever come back into my life UNLESS I LOVED the hound out of it. I love love taters, BUT what I loved about potatoes was ALL that I did to them!! It was never the tater, they were a 'vehicle to cover or add XYZ to them' to make them great. All that great is butter, flavoring. I can do that all on my meat to make those tastes. A little chili with cheese over my steak. Chili cheese fries to me LOL

LC'ers think outside the box.
    Love a 'taste' of certain foods, think how you can put that taste on protein. Protein is life. Make life about protein and jazz it up as needed

Hey ya got the skylight done, what more is happeing in that bathroom? Total remodel? You go!!

Yes every and all events, never get caught when changing your habits and lifestyle. EAT BIG before going. Your absolute #1 way to make that work when surrounded by junk. Yes there is usually the 'good choice' but the junk around that outweighs few good ones Stuffed belly will never betray you

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.