A Primal Primer: Candida. (Avoid Very Low Carb)

BMI

A Primal Primer: Candida. (Avoid Very Low Carb)

(Start of the article, for more, follow the URL below)

<Itís been awhile since Iíve done one of these, but I think itís about time for a Primal Primer. Today weíll be discussing candida, a genus (more than a species, less than a family) of yeast with many members, at least one of which is currently residing on or in your body: candida albicans. Candida albicans and friends are everywhere, and theyíre usually a normal, healthy part of the human microbiome, but it can get a little out of hand. As Iíve mentioned before, the human gut hosts a tumultuous mix of microbial species vying for position and supremacy and trying to further their own ends. If allís well, a balance is maintained, and the various species keep each other in check while promoting good health for the human host. But things can get out of whack. The balance can be upset. Certain species can gain ground on the others, perhaps by utilizing a new source of sustenance or taking advantage after a round of antibiotics, to our detriment. Candida is a particularly robust microbe who can thrive on a variety of fuel sources to apparently make itself a real nuisance in these situations. Letís take a closer look, shall we?

......Avoid very low carb.Paul Jaminet, who suffered from candida overgrowth, argues that since candida (being eukaryotes) have mitochondria that can feed on both ketones and carbs (as opposed to prokaryote bacteria without mitochondria), going very low carb or ketogenic will only provide more fuel for the overgrowth. Furthermore, since ketones are water-soluble and pass easily through cellular membranes, ketones will actually be a more accessible food source for candida. Donít go high-carb, since any extra glucose will just be food for the yeast, but donít go ketogenic, either. Stick to around 100-150 grams of carbs while still limiting sugar. Although other sources do recommend going as low-carb as possible, my moneyís on Paul.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/candida/

BMI
    If you find a problem with Candida, then this site has some ideas to help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.