Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

KetoGeo's Journey into Ketosis and Beyond

Yeah, so far itís been 3 days and Iíve left it alone.

And Iíve gained 2 more lbs. Iím cutting veggies for a few days again. I donít get why I have to be so incredibly strict.

BMI
    It is the extra carbs will hold water in. If you are willing, you could do an experiment and when that happens, let it go without changing anything and see if it evens out in a week or two. If you daily gain a pound then do something about it, but I think it may just be fluctuation.

Do you weigh every day? You are NOT eating enough for it to be weight that will be stored as fat. It is water.

And again, your mind is being held captive to a number on the scale, maybe your body is rebelling...
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Itís always water because I have edema. (Itís actually been an issue with my knee recovery. The area above my kneecap is still holding quite a bit of water.)

I donít weigh every day. I weighed the other day because I noticed my clothes werenít quite as loose as they had been and I was concerned because Iíd added back a serving of veggies a day.

Then I weighed this morning because yesterday I kept hitching up my jeans. Iím down another lb below my plateau weight. So, I dropped 5lbs between the other day when I posted and today. 🤪

I have not weighed this little in about 3 years. Since before my sister-in-lawís wedding where my damn ex-husband made me leave my diuretics at home and I ended up packing on 8lbs in 36hrs. Yes, I am STILL fighting that 8lbs.

I had decided when I read your post that I would follow your advice and give it 2 weeks of minimal veggies (not stressing about the diced onion in the taco meat) before I changed what Iím doing. I think the 2 weeks is up on the 20th.

So, yeah. Itís not that I weigh myself too much or obsess over numbers. Iím small enough that even a few lbs lost or gained affects my pants size, so it really does matter a lot.

And I apparently canít have veggies and lose weight. Iím hoping that one day when I do decide to go into maintenance mode that I will be able to eat them again, even if it is in very small doses. Iím slowly moving into more cardio. Cardio should help with carb resistance.

Iím now less than 8lbs from my first goal weight where I will re-evaluate. I know my body comp is different from early adulthood (where I still weighed almost 30lbs less than I do now) before I developed edema. Iíve lifted a lot of weights since then. It may be that I decide I donít want to lose anymore or maybe I just want 5 more lbs or something.

My next goal will put me about 3lbs above normal BMI. I donít put too much stock in BMI because I know it does tend to get skewed for us short folks, but Iím sick of being classified as overweight. And Iím afraid it will be correct about me needing to lose a tiny bit more weight.

More happy news, Iím busy!!! Iíve resumed my household duties, including the floors. My knee does get tender if I do a lot, but itís holding up. But I have NO stamina. Itís normal with knee surgery and months of being sedentary. I did add a 9min low-impact kickboxing workout to my life yesterday. Itís something.

I still canít get over the veggie thing.

BMI
    You are very mature about not weighing so much. It sure takes us a lot to figure that out. Just the fit of the clothes should be enough. Right now, my jeans are a bit tighter as I am eating some strawberries. I know they will be fine a couple of days after they are all gone but it is worth it.

Yes, it is incredible that veges cause so much trouble for you. And you totally understand it is not fat but water for you. Having a body that retains water so easily is hard especially as you get older. (You youngster you.....LOL) Maybe your metabolism would heal if you stayed off veges and other carbs for 30 days? Go as close to Zero carb as possible for four weeks? It passes fast, it really does. And you still would be eating good food. Zero and I have found that veges are kind of like a habit, and once we got over them, life got easier.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

So, Iím getting over a gastrointestinal bug. So much better, though!

Anyway, I checked my weight this morning. I think Iím up maybe 1/2lb? Now thatís what I call a water fluctuation. Considering that I expect Iím going to have some hormonal issues for the next few days I will be happy if I donít gain back 5lbs.

Iíve been thinking about this veggie situation, and I have some theories. Iím totally playing armchair quarterback here because Iím a coder, not a doctor.

Iíve long suspected I had reactive hypoglycemia. I once had a glucose reading of 40 at 2PM, 2 hrs after I would have eaten lunch (wish I could remember what I ate that day, but pretty sure I wasnít low carbing!) With reactive hypo, your pancreas goes nuts when you eat and releases too much insulin causing sugar crashes. Given that reading, reactive hypo makes lots of sense, I think.

I have perfect fasting glucose on keto, which also makes sense. But that doesnít mean my pancreas doesnít still go a little crazy with the insulin when it encounters some carbs i.e. veggies. Even though veggies arenít carb-heavy, they may still be leading to a little too much insulin and hampering my ketosis.

This explains a couple of things Iíve noticed lately in addition to suddenly resuming my weight loss. First, I havenít had a migraine in 2 weeks despite the fact weíve had some thunderstorms and a cold front. That coincides well with my cutting veggies.

Also, Iíve been noticing that I seem to have FINALLY gotten rid of the mid-afternoon slump. Everything I read harps on blood sugar drops being the culprit. I keep thinking I donít have a blood sugar problem! But... if itís a couple or 3 hrs after eating veggies I might. Not enough to get cranky or shaky, but definitely enough to have an energy slump until I eat something and have an infusion of caffeine.

The lack of weight loss, the inconsistent energy, the lack of migraine control... it all points to ketosis thatís been short-circuiting. Like I said, not a doctor, but it sure makes sense.

It looks like I certainly am super low-carbing it for a while. I can certainly make it eating like this for a whole 30 days, which would be May 7, which will be officially 4 months on a sober diet.

I donít know if anything will ever fix my metabolism, but at least I know how I need to eat for now.

AND THE CHOCOLATE IS STILL IN THE FREEZER

BMI
    Oh my gosh, I had that bug, too. And I read that Zero had it. Icky.

What you are doing is the perfect way to find out what is happeneing. Experiment. I did and still that ALL the time when I was learning what made me feel better.
    I agree that doing the 30 day very low to zero carb eating will give you a very good idea of what they do to your body. And then add one then another back slowly to see what you feel. It seems like it is a long time, but in the long run, it will give you tools.

And hurrah on keeping your chocolate frozen! LOL

Oh, and I think the bug hit around the time I was getting back into deep ketosis. The fatigue and lack of motivation were FIERCE! I was actually kinda angry, too! I didnít wanna be tired!

The last couple of days have been pretty great. Iíve had that good ketosis energy. Iíve also had only very mild cravings, mostly for pizza. Iím still considering experimenting with indulging that one.

Went to the pool with my (would-be) mother-in-law yesterday. Giggled like crazy trying to do these pool exercises that her sisterís got down pat. Then had possibly the most unfortunate rib-eye Iíve ever seen at an ancient diner. It was so much fun, and weíre looking forward to doing it again next week. (Well, maybe not the diner! )

Iím feeling pretty great. Amazing considering Iím pretty sure Iím experiencing an estrogen-dominant PMS and Iím kinda expecting d-day to be Friday! 2 days out (I think), and Iím not stuffing my face and dying.

And I lost another 1/2lb!

Yes, I LOOOOOOVE ketosis. And 30 days isnít a long time. With how well this is working out the rest of my life doesnít seem like a long time.

You ladies are feeling better, right??? I sure am glad if ya are! Unpleasant stuff. Immodium was how I got through it! 🤢

BMI
    Oh yes, feeling lots better. The devastating effects only lasted 12 hours, then just very achy for the next day or so. I have been very busy since then.

The above post is one of the most cheerful ones you have written in a while and it was nice to read it and see all the benefit of your deeper ketosis. I have to say that when I eat more carbs, my arthritis really kicks up.

Hurrah for finding people to laugh with. That makes the world go around much smoother.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.