Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My pathway back to health and fitness.

BMI
    KG, I got an answer about photos.

""Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

This is by design, we don't use thumbnails, it's inconvenient to have to click a thumbnail to see the full version. However the maximum file dimension allowed is 1024x800, it's not huge at all. You can always make it smaller before upload.""
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    Thank you for checking that out for me, Aradasky. It seemed a lot larger to me than I thought it would post as; but if it was not a problem, then I won't be concerned about it anymore.
    I am Yvonne and live in northern Alabama.
    To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.

BMI
    I have been studying about digestive enzymes and food combining the last couple of weeks, and have been modifying my eating plan to accommodate this.
    From what I have been reading, it takes one kind of digestive enzyme for carbs and a totally different one for proteins, and when you have both at the same time, they can cancel each other out and neither food is digested properly.
    Fruits have their own digestive enzymes, and also can help heavier protein foods with digestion, although they should not be eaten together according to what I was reading about food combining.
    While still staying within 20-30 carbs per day, I am now having fruit for breakfast, especially fruit that is high in digestive enzymes like pineapple and papaya.
    For lunch, I have a large salad, but with some added complex carbs like shredded carrots or beets, and not just a plain salad. Carbs take longer to digest than fruit; but not as long as protein, which can stay in the digestive system for hours and hours.
    So, dinner is my protein meal, and this way, it has all night to digest, and the morning fruit the next day will add more digestive enzymes to help process anything that was still in my body from the day before.

The pineapple is anti-inflammatory, so it helps keep my body from bloating or swelling up, and helps with any arthritis pain as well.
    My actual weight has not changed; but I feel better and have more energy now, and I am exercising more, too. My jeans are looser; so I think that some of the fat is changing to muscle, and hopefully, the scale will catch up with this before too long.
    To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.

BMI
    Ketogirl, you must really be measuring and weighing to be sure you stay in 20 to 30 carbs a day with fruit and carrots or beets. The key is that you feel better and your jeans are looser! Experimenting is how we find a way to eat forever that is heathy for us. Good for you!
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketogirl View Post
    My actual weight has not changed; but I feel better and have more energy now, and I am exercising more, too. My jeans are looser; so I think that some of the fat is changing to muscle, and hopefully, the scale will catch up with this before too long.
    Sounds like you are doing well!

BMI
    I am back. I went on vacation with my daughter this summer, and ate everything I wanted. That would probably have not been bad; but then I have only made half-hearted attempts to get back to low-carb eating since then, and I have started to gain weight again.
    I gave away my little iPad to my daughter-in-law and that was what I used to listen to the self-help tapes (apps) at night; so I have not even been doing that.
    I just found an iPad Mini on Craigslist and bought that, and put all of the weight loss apps on the Mini, and I am going to start feeding my mind with positive information and motivation for losing weight again.
    My heart went back into a-fib this summer, too; so I lost my physical energy and was barely functioning from the heart failure. My doctor did another ablation procedure a little over a month ago, and I am starting to do better, although still having a-fib episodes.
    We are still going to the fitness center, and I am swimming, just not as vigorously as I was doing before, and I am also hoping to get my energy rebuilt as I get back onto the low carb foods again.

BMI
    I understand about taking a break. One thing it does is it helps reprogram why Low Carb is good for us. When losing weight is the goal, then it drastically reduces appetite. You remember that you felt good when listening to the recordings, swimming and eating low carb. Now you realize you need to get back to it. It is not hard once you set your mind to it.

Your heart problems are on top of it all and that is depressing, I am sure. Try straight Atkins. 20 carbs or less for a week or two and then start adding back in. It is a good way to ease back. Remember there will be a bout of low carb flu, but it passes.

Keep up here, too, it really helps.

Welcome back!

BMI
    That is what i am going to do, Arlene, is just go back to the basic Atkins program, and hopefully, that will get me back heading in the right direction again.
    I started with the low carb today, and also using the carb manager app again, so I can track my carbs, fats, and proteins.

BMI
    Glad you are back! Let us know if you need anything that we can do on forum! LOL

BMI
    Thank you, Arlene ! So far, so good. I am on Day Two of the new program, drinking my water and eating the low carb foods, staying in the guidelines, and adding some coconut oil as well. I have been reading the Coconut Oil ketogenic Diet by Bruce fife, and he does a really good job of explaining the benefits of coconut oil over using any other kind of oil.
    Hopefully, I will be back fitting into those jeans that are now too tight to wear again. They were put away for the summer, so until we started getting the cooler weather, I hadn't thought about fitting into them properly.
    I am already starting to feel more energy, and motivation to keep on going again.

BMI
    yea!!!!!!

BMI
    It has only been a week since I came back, and already I am feeling SO much better again ! I have more energy , and I think my clothes might be fitting better now, too. I decided that I would only check my weight once a week, since my weight vacillates so much on a day to day basis, regardless of how much or little I ate or drank.
    If I forget to take my Lasix, the next day, I am apt to be 5 lbs heavier, and sometimes it is hard not to let those things discourage me.
    The scale shall not rule my life ! As long as I am following the plan, and eating a sensible amount, eventually, the weight will come off again, and even if it is very slow, I still feel better along the way.

BMI
    Congratulations, KG!!!! After those first days of getting back into ketosis, it feels soooo good to be here! And I am so happy for you to realize that the numbers on the scale can be so addictive and harmful to our progress. I used to get so depressed when I was off.
    I am on a bacon run this morning!
    IMG_1782.JPG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.