Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Just talk

I have an appointment with my doctor on May 31st to take the final X-Rays and have a discussion on what exactly he will be doing as well as what I should expect during and after the operation..
    I also will be meeting with the anesthetic doctor who will be talking to me about the different options..
    Just put me to sleep and that's all.......

I am scheduled for June 27th for the operation.. No time yet but it most likely will be extremely early in the morning, like 8:00am which means I will have to be at the hospital for 6:00am.. Good to get it over with early in the day..

I will be in the hospital for about 4 days and than I can go home..
    Staples will be in for 2 weeks and then I can start physiotherapy which will be twice a week for about 6 months..

Follow-up appointment 6 weeks after surgery with the doctor at the clinic at the hospital..
    Then 3 months after that and then, 6 months after that..
    Meanwhile, physiotherapy continues.....................
    I used to live to eat......... Now I eat to live.....
    Even a Fish wouldn't get into trouble if it would only keep its mouth shut..
    Originally weighed 358.... New weight...210 as of mid June 2015.. 205 as of May 2016

BMI
    Quite a detailed schedule, Steve. 6 months for PT is great!

We usually get 6 weeks with our insurance and then do the rest ourselves. Doc revisits are about the same.
    My pre-op schedule is a physical, EKG and Staph test (along with other blood labs) next Monday, then appt with surgeon to go over details, a pre-op visit at hospital the day before, Monday, May 8 (we fill out all our medical requests and assign medical decisions to hubby legally) and talk to anesthesiologist. I have had after surgery problems with anesthesia so we talk about those and he makes decisions about what he will do the next morning. Day of, I go in at 5:15 and surgery is at 7:15. I am glad as I was told that it may take three hours and I want my doc as fresh as possible!
    Hubby will wait with his computer and hospital wifi, working, and then will have a list of people to notify....
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    This AM I had blood drawn and needed to be fasting so I had not had my morning coffee or Aleve. Of course there were many of us there first thing, all fasting, and it took an hour to get called. By the time I got home, I was hurting, needed my one Aleve and coffee. Have had a cup and am much better. I have to stop my Aleve 5 days before surgery and take Tylenol. It just does not work as well. Oh well....
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    Okay, today I go for my pre-op consultation and then out of the house tomorrow morning at about 4:30AM. I will be dark here for a while. I will pop in when I can!

good --- luck !!!
    Originally weighed 358.... New weight...210 as of mid June 2015.. 205 as of May 2016

BMI
    Pain is under control, nausea is under control and I should be leaving the hospital this afternoon. Eating? Well not much! LOL

Wonderful to hear from you..

arlene

how are you doing ???????

BMI
    Ugh, pain is under control, Been out walking a tiny bit, I sleep well at night, and about an hour during the day, however, I should write a Poem about opiods and enemas. Not at all hungry right now.
    This is what they did to me! Vertebrae #2-3, 4-5, 6-7, and half of 8 just for good measure.
    http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orth...l-laminectomy/

Glad you are up and moving..
    Now, time will get you back to normal............. Whatever normal is.....

BMI
    Give me a week, then maybe I will have more of a sense of normal.....lol

Does that mean you will have a weak week ???

BMI
    Okay, been off the opioids for three days now, on Aleve three times a day. Thank heaven!!!!! The pain meds are a necessary evil. I ask for them when I need them but as soon as I can, I get off. They mask so much that is going on in the world and in my body as well as creating digestion problems.

This is not an easy road, much more difficult than I thought it would be. I mean, really! I have had both knees replaced for goodness sake! I have heard only shoulders are as hard as knees! Sorry. Steve.... I was very surprised when I woke up after surgery in so much pain.

This recovery is a much shortened version of my knee recoveries. Right now, the muscles are stiff and get tired soooooo fast it is incredible. My range of motion is very good and I could drive. I will, for the first time tomorrow, to a Hospice event. However, my stamina is still very low and I get tired faster than I think I should.

I create a list of chores to do during the day, including a Very short walk, and by 4PM, I am totally wiped out. I know that will improve as well. "They" say at 6 weeks most of the discomfort is gone and at 3 months, healing is pretty much complete.

Thank goodness hubby has been home for two weeks and is home for most of next week. He and I will make a run to the grocery store on Saturday. There is no way I could do that myself yet.

Been eating right, low carb and not much, that is all good.

I am still not able to tell if there are improvements in the problems I had before surgery, the reasons I had it, but even if they are still here (could be up to 18 months and anything here after then is here for good which is fine with me. If I had not had this done, I would have ended up in a wheel chair.)

So, all in all, I am a happy camper!

Arlene so sorry it is so rough on ya!! But it sounds like it is slowly coming around and you are getting into a better area now.

you rest my friend!

stop doing things!

I know you are probably bored but I have to say resting and letting things heal is the most important right now! yes move some of course but protect yourself and go slow on everything ya do!!

glad you are off the pain meds. I also never liked them and when ya can get onto Advil etc. it is a huge change in how ya get thru a day. pain meds dulled my mind so much it was crazy....I don't do well on them.

take care and rest rest rest! I hope you do find great improvement down the road from this procedure.

BMI
    Zero, thank you so much for all your wonderful support. Yes, I know. I must be careful not to overdo. It is hard not to want to do certain things. Today I am headed out for my first driving experience. I have most of the range of motion and will not have trouble with that at all. I am going to an event at my Hospice office. I am taking my foam collar to put on when I get there to rest my neck.

I am only doing the bare minimum this morning, and resting up for the big adventure!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.