Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aching Legs! Help!

Aching Legs! Help!

I'm on day 5 and all is ticking along nicely, except for the last two days my legs have been aching.

It feels muscular, but I wondered if anyone else experienced this during induction.

I had flu like symptoms including muscle aches for just over a week when I started Atkins. Being a mailman I am used to this but not for a full week.

Try soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salts and keep your feet elevated.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Take a potassium suppliment - carefully.

Mine are 99mgs. Daily Recommended Adult Requirement is 1500, I think (Lori Ann has that figure). We DO get a lot of potassium in our foods - if you are eating green leafy veggies (a small head of lettuce is 800+ milligrams - That is about two salads for me.)

BUT because of the amount of water we drink - we do lose some potassium. I find I only need one tablet a day.

I'm sure others will make their own recommendations, but YOU MUST BE CAREFUL - overdoing Potassium CAN cause heart problems.

Thanks for the advice, chaps!

I had a Raddox bath and it helped a lot!

Luckily, a friend of mine recommended I try drinking mineral water. She said I might be mineral depleated (like low potassium) from the large H2O intake. Sure enough, I tried it and it worked a treat!

Fantastic!

I had a little of the leg aches when I started induction a little over eight months ago. I have been taking Potassium-99mg and Magnesium-250mg again more recently.
    I dropped 2 more lbs. last week and yesterday I noticed my calves aching.
    Last night after going to bed I also noticed my heart having palpitations, I guess? I decided to get up and take 2 tabs which says it has 99mg of potassium. Noticed that my calves were hurting this morning again so I took a bath with Epsom salt because I read that it has Magnesium.
    Anybody have any ideas what else to do?
    I think I'll go have some chicken broth for salt....

Quote Originally Posted by PlumpKitty View Post
    I'm on day 5 and all is ticking along nicely, except for the last two days my legs have been aching.

It feels muscular, but I wondered if anyone else experienced this during induction.
    Hello PK, welocome!
    I have had this from time to time, once for a couple months after back surgery; restless leg syndrome is often a symptom of a need for added potassium and/or magnesium, or of exercise stress. Mine usually goes a way in couple days. Sometimes I have taken an aspirin if it was disturbing my sleep.

Digby, It was me, Meme posting. I think PK is from '04...

Yes, I wasn't attentive there. Hope your leg aches improve soon. And, yes to bone broth. I keep it on hand.

Well, what I used for bouillon was Knorr cubes which I really don't like using because it and all the others have MSG. I've searched the grocery isle and they all have it so until I cook some fresh broth from meat or broth, that's all I have...

Does it have MSG?

Thanks Tril, I'm going to look for that brand..."better than bouillon". That msg is added in so many places. I was reading once that many restaurants with cooks who really don't know what it is will put 10 times the amount on food because they are told only that it is as a flavor enhancer.

BMI
    I take 1/2 tsp of salt in AM and PM mixed in a big glass of water. I like it.....

I also take mag, potassium and calcium. I still get "restless legs" sometimes and very rarely the cramps I used to get. Jump out of bed in pain type.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Thanks Arlene,
    I do eat bacon almost every morning. I never know if that's enough or what?

BMI
    If you have energy, are not constipated, do not get leg cramps, then you are probably getting enough salt.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Well three weeks ago I was pretty bad off. Leg cramps, seeing spots, felt like the flu....
    I started magnesium, potassium and bouillon and feel much better except today so I'm having some more bouillon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.