shy's journal

shy's journal

ok, it's about time i got around to adding a journal! i'm so bad at keeping track of things.

i started atkins about a month ago, i weighed around 155 lbs. i have one of those wonkey old scales that swings up or down by about 5 pounds so i'll just put it there. after the first week i think i lost 10 lbs. - all good, everything went as expected. the following weeks, i lost another 1 or 2 pounds per week, nothing crazy, again as expected. right now it looks like i'm at 140, going down gradually makes me happy.

i would like to get back into the 120's but i'd be ok with something in the 130's if it feels good. my biggest reason for trying atkins in the first place was to figure out why i was gaining so much weight, i was pretty active, didn't eat a lot and still.... so as you all probably already know... it's sugar and carbs! i can't believe that i had bought into all of that, eating fat makes you fat hype!

when i first looked into the atkins diet, i was amazed that all of the food listed was mostly all of the things that i actually prefer to eat. over the years, i had started to add more and more grains and starches to our family meals to stretch the food budget. i had also eliminated other foods that some family members weren't fond of, big mistake!

so, i told my boyfriend what i was going to do and he, (getting a bit of a belly himself) was totally on board. we're doing this together. (btw, he's doing really well with it also. he's 6'1" and was 215 lbs. he's at 195 now! ) he's also eating his broccoli, cabbage & cauliflower and liking it! i promised him that he would be allowed to have ice cream again some day.

we were very strict with the diet in the first 2 weeks, made some mistakes like having carrots in our salads but it really didn't make much difference. it's been fun coming up with dinner menus... i do all of the cooking and we rarely go to restaurants, (tight budget) but it's all good.

i'll try to get back soon and add more to this, i've started using coconut oil for the first time ever and that is interesting in it's self.

hope everyone is doing great!

shy sherry

Congratulations Shy on such good results in such a short time. You will most likely make it to the 120s since you are losing quickly.

Glad you have introduced the entire family to this WOE!

Good luck and have a great day.

BMI
    Welcome Sherry, It is good to have you here and doing so well! Your weight loss from here on will likely be slow as you do not have that much to lose. But slow is good because you learn about yourself and food as you go.

I found that I could have my goal higher than some charts say I should be an am perfectly healthy. You may realize that in the 130s as well.

Since you have done so well, are now into the OWL phases?

Again, welcome!

thanks guys!

yes, i think i'm just doing the owl at this point as i think i have figured out where my muffin top and fat legs came from.

it's just so interesting, all of the different theories i adopted for my flab over the years... i usually always fall back on the idea that it was my inactivity during the winter months that was to blame, made sense to me till i got a treadmill, used it regularly and still gained weight. hmmm.

i'm very active in the spring and summer months. i keep a garden, till the soil with a shovel. dig up rocks, build terraces and such in my yard... i do a lot of landscaping. i have a pool that i put up every year and absolutely love swimming. i could stay in the pool all day, and sometimes i do! there's nothing better than mowing the lawn, working up a sweat and then diving in the pool to cool off!

so anyway... last summer, i didn't burn off all of my winter fat... that really bothered me when september came rolling around. two things that i had changed in my diet was; using table sugar in my coffee again, (i had switched to stevia for a year before that) and i had started eating a small bowel of cheerios every morning.

i am not a breakfast eater by nature but 2 summers ago, i was at a good weight, (in the 130's somewhere) but i felt light headed and brain foggy a lot. i did not like that and thought that i needed to eat more "healthy heart food" and add some more sugar back to give me a boost! doh! i had to force myself to eat that cereal every day because i am just not hungry in the morning but i did it any way telling myself it was good for me. and by the end of that summer i was gaining weight and still felt like crap most of the time.

looking back 2 summers ago... now i believe that i was starving myself, not in the sense that i was going hungry because, when i'm hungry, i eat and i eat till i'm full. but, what i was eating had almost no fat in it, tons of starch and other than plenty of protein (i'm a carnivore but had begun to avoid extra fat) my food was nutritionally poor. for example, when i wanted a snack in the afternoon i'd eat those little peanut butter cracker things and almost immediately, my heart would start pounding and i'd feel very odd... that concerned me and so then the cheerieos...

ok, i'll stop here for now. this journal i a good way for me to remember things i did and recall the effects. i've done a lot of different things with the foods i eat over the years but have been bad of keeping track of it. i think i've been going in circles for a long time!

have a gret day!
    sherry

BMI
    I love it when we figure out things for ourselves. I have done a lot of internal investigations here, and finally feel like I am comfortable.

Armed with your new information, we know carbs and even wheat (Read Wheat Belly) can be a real problem. I cringe when my friends eat poached eggs and dry toast, or Special K to stay thin while I eat eggs and bacon.

The best thing to do is eat when you are hungry and eat the right foods. Now you know what the right food are.

Hurrah!

Almost time to get the pool out again!

You have done so well and it is interesting to keep a journal and write down your thoughts etc. Also good to track what you eat every day.

I am looking forward to the busyness fo spring and summer as well. I too love to landscape and gardena dn we have an inground pool which takes daily work but is such a delight on a hot summer's day after workingin the garden and cutting the lawn. Best kind of exercise for me!

Have a great weekend.

Jo

hello everyone!

finally getting around to an update, the weather here (in ohio) for the past few weeks has been an all-season combo; sleet, snow, wind, rain and sun shiny warm. the nice weather had me outside pruning trees and clearing up debris from storms, it was good to get out there and get the space for the pool ready!

during that time, my weight loss stalled but it was not a surprise because i was testing different foods. the big one was coconut oil. i wanted to have something small and simple for increasing my calories if i felt like i needed to on any given day. also, i read about the possible benefits of coconut oil for people with alzheimer's, as my boyfriend's mother is suffering from symptoms.

anyway, i love dark chocolate once in a while and thought that maybe there was a way to make some at home with coconut oil, turns out you can and so i did! this involved lots of testing! everyone loves the chocolates so i've been making many batches and eating more than enough myself. we are still trying to get mom to remember to eat them regularly. as for me, i can confirm that they add some delicious extra calories. my boyfriend gobbles them up and is still losing so we're going to find more stuff for him to eat. i've started adding ground almonds to some batches and he really likes those. we'll see.

i stopped having the chocolates 3 days ago and i'm losing again as expected so i think there's a happy medium in there.

another thing i enjoy is red wine, i was a glass or 3 a day drinker but quit all together 2 months ago. there were a few occasions since where i had a glass with a steak dinner and it didn't stall my weight loss so i'm happy to know i should be able to enjoy it more in the future. but while i was not having my wine i started looking into other fermented beverages like kumbucha and water kefir.

a month or so ago, i tried some kombucha tea for the first time. i really like the flavor of it so i grew a scoby, (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) and have a few small batches of it brewing now. the whole pro-biotic thing is pretty new to me, other than yogurt, i never really thought about it much but it seems to make sense to drink it occasionally. it does take a long time to brew in my house though since we keep the temperature kinda low during the winter...

... so, while i was waiting for the kombucha to get going, i found out about water kefir... i haven't tasted any yet but i have a culture of it brewing now too!

my third mad scientist experiment is making maple syrup... that happened the other day when i was pruning trees and i was shocked at the amount of sap running out of one of my trees. i ran and got mixing bowls to collect the sap and also made a proper tap. it was late in the day when i got started so i only collected a few cups but i decided to boil it down anyway. i ended up with about 1 tablespoon of syrup which quickly formed into a teaspoon of rock candy because i boiled it too long. my son ate that and it was good.

anyway, the sap is running good again today so i'll be making syrup again, (i already have about a gallon of sap collected). i don't think i'll be enjoying the syrup myself as i quit sugar altogether and lots of sugar gives me stomach cramps anyway but if nothing else, i can feed it to my scobys or my son, hehe.

well... that's what i've been up to!
    hope everyone's having a great day!

sherry

BMI
    Sherry, WOW!!!! I love reading about all the experimenting you are doing! You can use the maple syrup, sparsely, for flavoring when you are close to your goal.

Congratulations on losing!

What an amazing post Sherry! Good for you with all your experimenting! Good news on the weight loss front too!!

Quote Originally Posted by benshad61 View Post
    You have done so well and it is interesting to keep a journal and write down your thoughts etc. Also good to track what you eat every day.

I am looking forward to the busyness fo spring and summer as well. I too love to landscape and gardena dn we have an inground pool which takes daily work but is such a delight on a hot summer's day after workingin the garden and cutting the lawn. Best kind of exercise for me!

Have a great weekend.

Jo

oh... i would love an in-ground pool! my yard is a hillside though so i just dug into it enough to make an 18' level spot. took me a few years but i was motivated!

i agree, pools are a lot of work but soo worth it! if i couldn't have one i'd move.

i need to do a better job of tracking what i eat everyday... i'm sort of a grazer through out the day with dinner being my only planned meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradasky View Post
    Sherry, WOW!!!! I love reading about all the experimenting you are doing! You can use the maple syrup, sparsely, for flavoring when you are close to your goal.

Congratulations on losing!
    lol! glad you enjoy reading about it. i really enjoy sharing the info... i get kind of obsessive when it comes to figuring out how things work, the atkins woe is right up my alley. thank goodness for the internet! having so much knowledge at my finger tips has me in hog heaven!

the gallon of sap boiled down to about a half jelly jar of syrup... and that's kind of runny. i was afraid to go too far with it this time. i'll figure it out eventually. there's no sap running today though, it didn't get cold enough last night, had a little thunder storm instead. crazy weather.

i think i'll just give the syrup to my son to take home with him. he'll enjoy it and can still eat everything and anything.

BMI
    Quote Originally Posted by shy View Post

i need to do a better job of tracking what i eat everyday... i'm sort of a grazer through out the day with dinner being my only planned meal.

Yes, you will find that when you stop losing, you will want to know why. Tracking is the only way you can figure that out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.