Fat in A New Atkin's for a New You (NANY)

BMI

Fat in A New Atkin's for a New You (NANY)

In NANY on page 160 , Chapter 9 Into the Home Stretch: Pre-Maintenance, we are given information about fat in our WOE.

Getting (The Fat) Up There

From everything we've told you so far, you'd think that it's the carbs in your diet that stop weight-loss at your goal. That's partially true, because carbs do exert a strong control over your metabolism-the bully thing. But when you move from losing weight to maintaining weight, you need to increase your consumption of healthy, natural fats slightly to meet your maintenance energy needs. No, you don't need to measure or count your intake of fatty foods. With your appetite as your guide, you just need to let it happen. We'll tell you how in the next chapter. All you need to know for now is that as you approach your goal weight, you may become aware of something that hunting peoples have known about for centuries: "fat hunger."It's a different and subtler feeling than having the bottom drop out on you after a sugar rush. But if you find yourself staring into the fridge and eyeing the butter, cheese, or salad dressing, you've probably been skimping on fat. Learning to recognize and respond appropriately to fat hunger is an important skill for success in Lifetime Maintenance.

Pg 170 of NANY in Chapter 10, Keeping It Off: Lifetime Maintenance

Fat Remains Your Friend

When you were losing, say, an average of 1 pound a week, each day you were burning about 500 cal of your body fat for energy. As you transition into lifetime maintenance, your body doesn't really care where your favorite fuel comes from, hour by hour: inside- your stores of body fat or outside- dietary fat. Say that you're consuming 75 g of net carbs per day ( 300 cal) and 15 ounces of protein (roughly 400 cal); together they add up to just 700 cal. If you're a 5 foot, 4 inch tall woman and your body is burning 1800 cal a day, the other 1100 cal have to come from fat. Why not simply increase your protein intake instead? Because, as you learned in Chapter 5, the amount of protein you've been eating all along is close to optimal and more isn't better. As for adding in more carbs, once you've found your Atkins carbohydrate equilibrium (ACE), it's likely to remain in your upper limit for the foreseeable future.

If you ignore this advice and continue to add carbs beyond your ACE, you'll soon be revisited by the same old demons of hunger and carb cravings. Over consuming carbs only invites that metabolic bully back into your life. Your metabolism is already adapted to efficiently moving back into your cells and using it for energy rather than storing it for later use, providing a sustained and predictable fuel supply. Perhaps you noticed that once that you adapted to a low-carb diet and complying with your ACE, you can be an hour or two late for a meal and not feel desperate. How so? The answer is that even when you're at your goal weight, you still have a couple of months worth of energy reserve tucked away as body fat. This means that your muscles, your liver, and your heart are getting a continuous, uninterrupted flow of energy directly from fat. Even your brain, which requires more than 500 cal per day, gets much of its energy from fat. If you've banished 30 pounds of body fat since you started induction, your body has burned off an awesome 100,000 cal more then you ate. And there is no reason your metabolism can't continue that same burn rate for fat- keeping the Atkin's Edge as you maintain your new weight.

How can you add fat calories in a palatable way? Follow the meal plans for pre-maintenance, adding small portions of salad dressings, sauces, and spreads. Many cultures have used to sauces, gravies, and meat drippings this way for millennia.... There is no need to count fat grams or calories. Just let your taste and appetite dictate, without letting fat phobia get in your way. It may take a while to learn to trust your instincts. Fact has an inherent ability to satisfy your appetite and to keep you feeling satisfied longer than the same amount of carbohydrate. You'll probably get a chuckle out of the fact that you, who once had a weight problem, now have to be careful not to go too far in the opposite direction.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    This needs to be here.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Indeed it does and I needed to read it again. Thank you for posting.

Jo

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.