Since summer is around the corner, let's talk iced teas or refreshing drinks!

Since summer is around the corner, let's talk iced teas or refreshing drinks!

Im a huge fan of making my own iced teas (not adding sugar or sweetners of course). Ill hot brew a few bags for 30 mins, pour it into a pitcher (whens it has cooled down), then top it off with ice water. I like the variety that Celestial Seasonings has, a lot of intersting fruity flavors.

However I taste something sweet in there that Im weary of, I cant put my finger on it, and Im not sure if it will be harmful to the diet. Maybe some of you Atkins gurus can advise whether is anything in this particular tea that I should be avoiding. I have read the acceptable food items for the induction phase, and it seems all herbs and spices are ok.

Also, feel free to post your favorite refreshing summer drinks!

Throat Tames Wellness Tea:

Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) (flowers) 550mg *
    Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) (root) 260mg *
    Ginger (Zingiber officinale)(root) 140mg *
    Tilia estrella (Ternstroemia pringlei) (flowers) 105mg *
    Slippery Elm

Also contains: Spearmint, West Indian lemongrass and natural lemon flavor with other natural flavors (contains soy lecithin).

BMI
    I find licorice root to be naturally sweet myself but I think most herbs are around 0.5 carbs per gram. Don't quote me on that....I haven't earned Guru status yet LOL

The Celestial Seasonings website lists the ingredients an nutrients for the various teas. Check out the one you are referring to there. Avoid any with sugar carbs

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/

I'm a bit suspicious of them though, the honey / chamomile one says no sugars???

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    The Celestial Seasonings website lists the ingredients an nutrients for the various teas. Check out the one you are referring to there. Avoid any with sugar carbs

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/

I'm a bit suspicious of them though, the honey / chamomile one says no sugars???
    Makes me suspicious as well, because it is oddly sweet.

So here's another question regarding teas (sorry, i know im a pain in the butt with this, but I love tea), can I replace some of my water intake with home-made, sugarfree, iced tea? I was hoping to go half-half.

BMI
    I'm thinking ( which is a scary thing) that the answer to that is no. Drink your water on top of your teas. Getting your pure water in is most important and as Tril will tell you, mandatory to weight loss.

BMI
    Well, I see no problem with tea being used as water if it is herbal tea and does not have caffine in it. I have done it. I make sun tea, very diluted out of any extra herbals I have.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    The answer to your question depends on who you ask. LOL It also depends on whose rules you're following. From a liquid only perspective decaf tea would be counted. From an Atkins standpoint, though... just water is water. If you're following Atkins, all "can I have" questions can be answered on the food lists. There's one for Induction... and another when you transition to OWL.

From the Induction list, regarding water:

Water – at least 8 eight ounce glasses per day including…

Filtered water

Mineral water
    Spring water
    Tap water

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    I knew you would come to break the tie Tril LOL

BMI
    LOL That's what I'm here for.

BMI
    And we are darned glad you are LOL!!!

BMI
    Okay, more info on fluids.

My introduction to Atkins is through The New Atkins for a New You.
    NANY

I know there is a lot of change in the plan, some of it useless like the bars and such, but some of it because of the years of people trying and finding what works and some of research. More veges on induction being one, if I am correct on this point.

I do not have any of the earlier books so when I talk about Atkins I go to this book.

In our conversation about what we can use as our fluids, I went back to NANY pg 68 Atkins for You, Make It Personal:

"To determine if you're drinking enough fluids, simply check the color of your urine, which should be clear or pale yellow. Also be sure that you are passing urine at least every four to six hours. Thirst is clearly a sign as well, but you need to rehydrate long before you actually feel thirsty. Despite the old saw that everyone should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day, individual needs vary. Vigorous exercise or airplane travel (thanks to the dry air) increases your needs as well.

The bulk of your daily fluids should come from water, clear broth, and herb teas. Drinking coffee and other caffeinated beverages increases urine output, but research indicates that it doesn't contribute to water or electrolyte imbalances. Caffeine also gently assists the body in burning fat. That means you can count coffee and caffeinated tea (in moderation) toward your fluid intake. You won't be drinking fruit juice (with the exception of small amounts of lemon and lime) or sodas sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup, all of which are full of carbs. The same goes for milk-and that includes skim milk, which is naturally rich in milk sugar (lactose). Spread your fluid intake over the day, although you may want to stop a couple of hours before bedtime to avoid middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom."
    ++++++
    So go ahead and make the iced herbal tea and enjoy.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    Arlene... after our conversation I went to the atkins site to see if they had updated the P1 food list. They have... but guess what??? They didn't update the ifno on water consumption to match the new book!!! LOL Check it out:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-...his-Phase.aspx

There's update info on this... check out the wording on cheese, fat and artificial sweeteners.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.