Is Fibre all it's Cracked up to be?

Is Fibre all it's Cracked up to be?

I found a new website called gutsense. It is the home site of a Russian chap nam Konstantin Monastyrsky who graduated from medical university in 1977 with a pharmacy degree. He is also a certified nutritional consultant and an expert in forensic nutrition, a new field of science that investigates the connection between supposedly healthy foods and nutrition-related disorders, such as diabetes and obesity. Plus h's an IT wizard. He has written a book called The Fiber Menace. It has a whole chapter about fibre, low carb & Atkins etc.

"Chapter 3, Atkins Goes to South Beach
    illustrates the connections between fiber and obesity, and fiber and diet failure—two of the most pressing public health problems of our generation. The Public health authorities‘ incessant urging that we consume more natural fiber in the form of bread, pasta, cereals, fruits, and vegetables is precipitating an obesity epidemic, because fiber-rich foods contain ten to twenty times as much carbohydrate as they do fiber (5% to 10%). Unfortunately, by the time you‘re ready to jump on the low-carb bandwagon, dropping carbs cold turkey doesn‘t work, because your colon is already dependent on fiber to move your bowels. If you throw the shortcomings of the Atkins and South Beach diets into this mix, you end up with diet failure. If you didn‘t get major anorectal damage from the “hard landing,” consider yourself lucky. For anyone who aspires to lose weight and preserve health, this chapter alone makes reading this book worthwhile."

Basically, he says fibre is bad for us! An what he has to say makes a whole lot of sense to me! (much to my surprise)

"That's why just a generation ago, avoiding fiber was the quintessence of prudent nutrition. Caring parents everywhere, American and European alike, were earnestly peeling fruits (apples, peaches, pears, prunes) and skinning vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes) before giving them to children or eating them themselves.

The French and Italians still do it. And the Japanese diet is practically fiber-free. Americans, on the other hand, are urged to consume 30 to 40 grams of dietary fiber daily, regardless of their age and health.
    Many heed this advice (some with a vengeance), assuming there can‘t be too much of a good thing. The outcome is predictable: a pandemic of digestive disorders, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, and obesity. These problems are worse in the United States than in any other Western country.All this seems hard to believe until you actually begin examining the role of fiber in human nutrition, Thus, the point of Fiber Menace isn't telling you what to eat, but what not to eat and why. Here is a chapter-by-chapter summary of what's under the cover along with a sprinkle of readers' reviews"

Back cover image

Last edited by Analog6; 03-24-2012 at 02:03 PM.

BMI
    Wow Odille......who would have thought. This is very interesting and scary too!

BMI
    Holey crap! Lol It Looks very interesting. My DH and one grandson have problems. I now give DH coconut oil in eggs in am and he now eats more fat. He is not one for lots of veges, and I have actually been leaning that way. It looks like this is what he is recommending. My daughter of course gives grandson fiber. I give him coconut oil when here and tell her to give him some every am in his oatmeal. I hope she does. Have you looked at what he has for sale?
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    The vegans would certainly disagree with him!!! Especially the part where he says... "human digestive organs were not designed to digest indigestible substances in the first place." I'm definitely NO vegan... but I think he's a little off here. We have the teeth for eating plant material. Grinding molars... so I think we probably ARE designed to eat plants. But probably not grains. There's a difference there. Grains came much later in our food source evolution. I have no problem giving up grains. I don't get my fiber there. I get it from from fresh vegetables. And, like most things, I feel it's specific to individuals. I don't require half the fiber as some people I know to keep things "normal". And, it's pretty hard to compare our modern diet to what we were designed to eat... our modern foods are far cousins to the wild plants our ancestors ate. Ever eat a wild apple or wild strawberry? Then you know what I mean. I think we were designed to eat plants as nature grew them... not what we've done to them.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

I do agree we do have some grinding teeth, but our dentition (and our digestion) is very different to say, ruminants like cows and sheep who are the true grass (therefore fibre) eaters. He says to eat less fibre, which equals less carbs, of course, and less grains. Not sure if he reconmends totally grai n free, but that is what I have got from Primal and I feel so well I'll never go back to them in any significant way.

I found the stuff about stools, constipation and straining very logical and to me it does make perfect sense.

As to what to eat, he does say:

"If your daily consumption of fiber exceeds 15 g, first identify those foods that have the highest fiber content in your diet. These are usually processed foods, such as anything with “bran” in it, cereals, whole-wheat bread, muffins, bagels, and the like. Ideally, you shouldn‘t eat these, because nutritionally speaking, all processed foods are unwholesome, loaded with carbs, and hard to digest..
    If you aren‘t inclined to make any changes in your diet, at least replace high-fiber food with low-fiber analogues: corn flakes instead of fiber-fortified cereals, white bread instead of whole wheat, regular muffins instead of bran muffins, green peas instead of lentils, pine nuts instead of peanuts, zucchini instead of broccoli, and so on."

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.