GAINING on Induction Phase - Please help!!! Frustrated!!

GAINING on Induction Phase - Please help!!! Frustrated!!

Hello,

I started induction 12 days ago, and I have been logging my food on fitday.com... However, I am not losing ANY weight! I have actually GAINED about 3 lbs!! It's not that I lost to begin with, then gained, I NEVER LOST ANY WEIGHT. I even purchased Ketostix to see if that was the problem, but they only read "trace amount" after 12 days. I know I am getting enough fats, and my percentages are usually about 26% protein, 69% fats, and 5% carbs (give or take 2-3 percent on each depending on the day). I am so frustrated.

Here is a bit of info about me so that hopefully someone has the answer, or at last some advice... I am a health care professional, but I am just dumbfounded as to why this is happening.

Height
    : 5'6"

Start Weight
    : 181.0

Current Weight
    : 183.8

Goal
    Weight: 158-163 (to maintain in that range)

Date for Goal
    : June 1, 2012

Daily H2O
    : 42-85 oz.

Exercise
    : no formal exercise, but I am a pharmacist, so I stand up all day (not sedentary)

Meds: just started back taking Wellbutrin XL

Recent Diet History
    : I have been doing the HCG injections for about 2 years with success, but seem to cheat after a certain time and the weight creeps back on...

Highest Weight
    : 206 (Dec 2009)

*both of these weights are within the last 2-3 years (highest ever 217 (2001), lowest ever 157 (2006)... Yes, I have been up and down, mainly staying in the 175-185 range. I seem to plateau around the 177-180 range with HCG, but I think a lot of that was my fault, because I got complacent and cheated some... I want to be as honest as possible, because I really need for Atkins to work!)

Lowest Weight:
    173 (Sept 2011)

This is a sample menu that I've been eating, so maybe this helps you get an idea:

B'fast:
    2-3 eggs, scrambled in butter
    2 oz cheddar cheese (rarely)
    1 oz heavy cream (in cream and/or coffee)
    5 oz coffee
    5-6 ml Liquid Stevia (in coffee)
    3 pieces turkey bacon *OR* 3 oz sausage links

Lunch:
    2 cups Romaine lettuce
    4 oz chicken breast
    1 hard boiled egg
    2 oz cheddar cheese
    4 tbls ranch dressing (total 2 carbs)
    1/3 cup fresh mushrooms
    3 pieces turkey bacon

Dinner:
    Large Rotisserie Chicken Breast *OR* Steak *OR* Fish (meats grilled, marinated, or sauteed in butter or olive oil)
    1/2 cup mushrooms, sauteed in butter
    1 cup broccoli with little butter *OR* green beans with butter

I hope this helps! I know you are not supposed to "count calories", but my calories tend to be between 1600 and 2000, depending on the day. Am I eating too much??

Thanks in advance!!

BMI
    Hmmm... let's see, how much water are you drinking? Are you constipated? Are you counting all carbs (like in the cheese)?

I'm leaning toward more water... fix any constipation you may be dealing with... cut back on the cheese... more veggies (are you going by the old "cup" rule or do you have the updated food list?) as possible solutions. I also believe your long history of yo-yo dieting is going to work against you. It won't make it impossible to lose, but it will make it more difficult. Chances are good that unless you were also exercising during these diets that you've lost muscle. When a person loses weight without maintaining an exercise routine that person will lose a higher percentage of lean tissue to fat than a person who works out. BUT, when that person regains the weight he/she regains JUST FAT. So the person ends up fatter (ratio of fat to lean) than when they started... even at the SAME WEIGHT. Do that a few times and you can understand how bad that might be for you. Lean tissue is metabolically more active than fat... it uses more energy at rest. So the leaner you are, the more you can eat to maintain your weight. The fatter you are (again, % wise) the less you can eat without gaining. Your caloric range of 1600 - 2000 MAY be too high for you. Atkins recommends 1500 - 1800 for women. Try cutting back to 1500, no more, for a week and see what happens. You can do that by cutting out one of your protein choices at each meal. Meat, eggs, cheese... pick one and ditch it. I would suggest you drop the cheese at one of your meals, if not both. The meat and eggs are a better source of amino acids (protein). Use cheese as an occasional garnish or treat. If you're being very liberal with added fats... measure those and be sure you're not under estimating your serving sizes.

Hope this helps point you in a possible direction!

Also... the ketone strips are pretty useless for weight loss. The only tell you if there are ketones in your urine. There's no connection between how much weight you are losing and the color change. Excess ketones are expelled through urination and exhallation... and not evenly so you really don't learn much from the strips. A trace reading just means you had less ketones there that time. Eat a meal high in fat and then pee... you'll have a darker reading. Don't drink enough water and you'll concentrate the ketones... higher reading. Drink lots of water (like you should be doing) and the strip may not change at all. So... they really don't mean much. LOL If you have any color change you can safely assume that you have entered ketosis.... but no color change doesn't mean you haven't.

Let us know what you change and how you make out!

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    PS... go to Atkins.com and get the updated food list. It also has the limits/rules included.

BMI
    Yes, I agree, I often read where dairy of any kind can react in some to cause a stall or gain.

It also looks like you are eating a lot of protein. Be sure to look at that, too. This is a great calculator to show you where you are and how much you should be eating of what to lose. http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/nutrientCalc.php
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Thanks, I will check out that site!

Okay guys, I'm gonna cut out cheese altogether and limit myself to eggs at only one meal... I will make an effort to drink more water, and I will definitely cut my caloric intake to 1500 - even though I thought Dr. Atkins says not to count calories...

Also, I may be constipated. Will add fiber to my meals and more veggies.

Does it matter what meal should have more fat?

We shall see what happens... Gonna give it two more weeks, if no loss, it's back to the HCG injections for three weeks. Ugh!

Thanks again for the advice!

BMI
    He did say to not count calories... in the beginning, in Induction. When you're doing those first two weeks you eat to your hunger without concern for calories. But where you're at, so close to your goal weight... it matters. The last edition of the diet has the caloric recommendation. Spread your fat out over your meals and snacks for better satiety during the day. Fat also helps to slow digestion and keep your blood sugar stable.

BMI
    He did say not to count calories UNTIL you get close to your last levels of OWL or pre-maintance weight. Your weight now and your goal says you have 20 lbs to lose and that puts you at this level. I think the do not count calories is for those who have a lot more to lose in the beginning. We all find that when we reach this level, calories really do count. I was at 1200 for a while, but am up to 1500 to 1600 to lose about .5 a week.

The big difference with Atkins is that by now you are eating REAL food, not eating low calorie cereal, skim milk and dry toast for breakfast. I used to starve on that food and now am not hungry after my eggs for hours. I didn't know it before but I ate the low calorie, high carb breakfast and GAINED weight because of it. Now I love my eggs for breakfast or lunch.

2 weeks is a good trial, however you will find others here who actually took longer than that to get started or stalled and restarted.

I don't think it matters which meal has more fat.

Good luck and keep us informed!
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Thanks! I've played around on FitDay and noticed that I can pretty easily cut back on calories, but the fat is still high... is this okay?

High fat is fine. When I first did induction back in 2005 (start weight 131.5 kgs) I lost 11kgs (25+lbs) in the 2 weeks. All I ate was vegetables and meats (beef, chicken, fish & a little lamb) and some cheddar cheese. No coffee, tea, wine, sugar substitutes, only water and plain sparkling mineral water. I either grilled or stir fried the meats. Bacon was a low nitrate one - easier to source here than in the US I suspect as our meats tend to be 'cleaner' here in Oz. I used butter & olive oil for cooking.

It is meant to be a clean out time and to reset your body, so keep it as clean as possible from anything artificial. Sugar substitutes cause exactly the same insulin reaction as sugar in metabolically resistant people, and I suspect you would not be here if you were not metabolically resistant. After a while on low carb your taste buds will change an things will taste much sweeter to you. If you can wean yourself off all sugar substitutes you will be much better off.

Ok, here is the menu I've planned for tomorrow... gotta stay ahead of the game!! (sorry it's so long, I copied and pasted straight from FitDay -- if you know of a way to get it in "chart form, " please fill me in -- but for now, this is it.

Total
    1,403 calories/day
    97.3 fat grams/day
    21.5 carbs/day
    105.6 protein grams/day

Breakfast
    Egg, whole, fried
    262 cal
    20.3 fat
    1.3 carbs
    18.7 protein

Butter (1 pat)

Cream, heavy, 1 oz

Lunch
    Naturally Fresh Dressing - RANCH, 4 tblsp

Zaxby's The Blue Salad, Blackened (no toast, no fried onions...)

Dinner
    Butter (1 pat)

Salmon, cooked, 6 oz

Broccoli, cooked, fat not added in cooking, 3/4 cup

Butter, 1 pat (for broccoli)

Lemon juice, fresh, 1 slice

H2O, 64+ oz

Total
    1,403 cal
    97.3 fat
    21.5 carbs
    105.6 protein

I HOPE THIS IS MORE LIKE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK IS BEST!!!
    Please feel free to critique this menu...

Thanks!

BMI
    Not sure what the salad lunch includes... it says blackened, so maybe fish? You menu looks great, though, for Induction... this still isn't an OWL menu, that would include more veggies. The fat % will be higher because your carb % is lower. You still have about 100 calories and 3.5g carb (for the first week of OWL) to play with if you get hungry and need a snack. Did you check out the OWL food list?

BMI
    This looks like a great menu for the two weeks of induction. After two weeks you need to start going through OWL. Your goal is not too far away.

I chose to go with the minimum protein and more fat on my way of eating.I kept my calories low for a few months and then raised them to 1500 or so so I could include more fat. Fat keeps me from getting hungry between meals and snacking. Fat, as you know, is calorie dense but butter on veges and good dressing on salad is good. I have flavored olive oils I use on salads and veges, as well as butter. I also use a lot of coconut oil. I try to have at least two TBS a day, in coffee and cooking my eggs.

I think you will see positve moves on the scale now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.