Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Hello - Starting a Low-Carb Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie58 View Post
    I agree, restaurants can be tricky and you have to be very specific when ordering. I'm one who can't go near those darn bars...."right ladies" They just make me want more and I am guaranteed to stall when I do eat them.

This may sound a little harsh but I found that when you are starting out here in induction, and I'm pretty much still there after 2 1/2 months because I have so much to lose, it's best to just bite the bullet. Don't look for substitutes for treats and breads and pastas cause they will just make you crazy and slow you down. Just break that cycle and forget they ever exsisted. It's a hard goodbye....but its so worth it and really you just kind of prolong the agony and the cravings when you just don't remove those things from your brain. It's like weaning yourself slowly from cigarettes or just quitting cold turkey and getting er done!!

Now this is just my opinion.....and we all know about opinions! I certainly don't mean to offend anyone or say that my way is best but well....it is for me. We all have to find our own path and we all know ourselves best. Me I've had to learn alot of this the hard way. Listen to Tril and pay attention to how what you eat makes you feel and how you react to it.

Cheers.....yes with water!!
    This is exactly what I think too. Keep it clean and simple. Meats/fish/vegetables. Give up the 'fake' breads and cakes and chocolates and just do it. If you want a small treat buy yourself some 85% dark chocolate (Lindt it good) and have JUST ONE SQUARE. I break it into 6 small pieces and savour it with my bedtime cup of decaff and cream (measure the one tbsp of cream for a coffee).

BMI
    Now you Odille are the Queen of Strict!! I stick to the basics quite well with the odd screw up maybe once a week and even then it is never anything that isn't LC. (except wine) You on the other hand are a force! I still eat quite a bit of dairy which I think I need to change and my coffee has alot more than 1 tbsp of cream in it. I don't really like coffee. It's kind of a functional thing for me and without it I am useless in the morning.

I was thinking about you today when I was coming home from town actually. You realy have me wanting to swim, just to be in the water even. There is a big liesure centre there and I was thinking that I should see if they have a public swim I could hit on my way home after gardening tomorrow. I bet they have a whirlpool spa too......Oh My now that would feel good LOL

Hi Everyone -
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement and advice. Analog6 - yes, I agree completely. I need to be 100%, get into ketosis, and enjoy the ride!!!

I am about to head out to work and then a busy afternoon of soccer practice for both kids. I weighed this morning and am 132.2. So that's -1.4 for my 1st week. I'm happy with this result but know that I can do better with clean eating. So... I'm ready for week 2. We grilled chicken last night so I have a yummy lunch of salad with chicken and avocado.

Have a great day ladies! I'll check in tonight and catch up on your news.

SW: 133.6
    CW: 132.2
    Goal: 123.6 (10 lbs)
    Wk 1: -1.4

-Mommyof2

Good morning mommyof2. My rule of thumb during induction (regardless of how long I stay on it) is if it is not on the food list don't eat it, period. The first three days of any plan are the hardest, and you will struggle the most on day three, but it takes 3 days to use up the glycogen in your liver. So start as if today (or tomorrow if you've already eaten) is day one and try this:
    1. Eat lots of fat (you can get this in meats/eggs/coconut oil/olive oil etc)
    2. Don't go hungry, don't worry about calories the first week at all. Eat when you are hungry, just keep it to foods on the induction list, but eat as much as you wish, I do this for the first 3-4 days, you will certainly be in ketosis if you follow this single rule, and it will kill the cravings, if you like boilied eggs, cook a dozen of them and keep them handy, if you like bacon, cook a bunch and put in ziplock bag and carry with you, whatever it is that you like on the list make a bunch of it and eat eat eat, make it a variety of things but remember that veggies do have carbs, keep your carbs under 20, I keep mine in the first week around 10 (use a site like fitday to figure this out)
    3. Drink lots of water, make it cold and drink it all through the day, if you don't like water get a lemon and squeeze it into the water (don't use the flavored waters during the first 3 days because they actually have sweetner in them and you want the first three days to be as clean as possible to kill the cravings and get you into ketosis).

Either during this time or on days 4-7 you might experience flu like symptoms, as miserable as this can be, don't worry it will go away, you know you are in ketosis when this happens, but it does not happen to everybody, but will pass in a few days, your body is converting to using fat and protein as its energy source.

If you get shaky during this time drink a cup of bouillon a few times during the day, as you may be low on sodium, it will take the shakes away and you will still be on plan. Once you are done with week one you are home free, it will be much easier to stick to plan, you've overcome the emotional/psychological barriers, and your body is in full fat burning mode, eat clean for one more week and technically induction is over and you can move into OWL.

You can do this, it is difficult but you will be amazed at how much you lose the first two weeks!

Good luck

BMI
    I think you did great to lose 1.4 this week, since you only weighed 133.6 when you started!!! That's a little more than 1% of your body weight. With about 10# to go you usually lose 1/2 to 1# a week... on a good week. Hang in there. You know what you need do better. Fix that and keep the rest.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    Mommy, It will be very interesting to watch your progression here. Many of us have goals to reach and as we get closer I think the reults will be very similar to yours. Also if we go over by a few pounds, what you are doing may come into play. I am glad you are here and losing ten pounds.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Ok ladies... are you ready for this??? This morning the scale was 130.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way!!! I had to get on twice. Getting back into the 120s is a MAJOR goal!!

Yesterday I walked / ran for 40 minutes during my kids' soccer practice. And then I ran home (1.3 miles) from the field. I am sure that extra activity helped. My ketosis strips indicate that I am not in ketosis, but my hunger has really dropped off. So, this is getting easier for me.

Here is my plan for today:
    Break: 1 egg omelet with veggies. slice of swiss cheese. coffee w/ dash of cream.
    Snack: Atkins bar (small)
    Lunch: chicken (~2oz), mushroom, green bean, and red onion stir fry w/ EVOO and a little soy sauce. 1oz cheddar cheese. (and I'm now full!)
    Snack: celery and cheese? pb?
    Dinner: I plan to make "Chicken Adobo" in the crock pot. Broccoli on the side. Rice for my hubby and kids.
    Lots of water. Maybe diet coke or a cup of coffee this afternoon.

SW: 133.6
    CW: 130.2
    Goal: 123.6

BMI
    Hi Mommyof2

well done! Your so close to being in the 120 zone!! Keep it up You'll be there in no time at all. How do you run for 40min?? Lol I could never do that at my current weight but good for you

xxx

mommyof2!!!! OMG, congrats you have to have the sexy happy dance! Good job!

BMI
    Mommy!!!!!! Awesome job!!!!! You must be thrilled!!! Isn't it motivating to see results!

BMI
    Hey Mommy if you want in on my little challenge, send Arlene a private message with your weight as of tomorrow weds march 28th and she will keep track for us. Lets see how much we can lose together in 2 weeks!

BMI
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeea mommyof2 You hould join us...
    Its so much more inspiring when we work as a team like this and i reckon were less likely to fail
    xxx

BMI
    Yeeessssss Mommy....join us!!!! Send your weight to Arlene today!!!!!!

Hi Ladies - I fell off the low-carb wagon for the past # of weeks, but I'm back. I haven't gained at all. still 132.2 which is great. Today is day 2 back on track. i really feel better eating low-carb and am excited to be back. ttyl! -Mommyof2

Glad you are back! Good you haven't gained and you don't have much to lose!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.