Honey and fruit.

BMI

Honey and fruit.

What is the verdict on milk,tea,honey,oats and what fruit is allowed?

milk - cream is better. Go to the supermarket and look at the carb counts - start at the lowest fat and work up to pure cream, the highest fat. You will see the carb count describe a steady downward curve to <.6 per 100ml for cream

tea - limit it to 2-3 cups a day if you have cream, and bear in mind even the small amount of caffiene in tea stalls some people

honey - treat as for sugar

oats - NO. They are a grain, try to avoid all grains

fruit - none on induction, then stick to berries and low carb melon (honeydew are good). Other fruits are higher in fruit sugars and will stall your weight loss. Once you have lost about 70-80% of your weight you can start re-introducing them

BMI
    thanks a lot for the info.
    seems like when you cannot have something you all of a sudden will crave it.
    murphy's law i guesss.

BMI
    It's also a chemical response... as your body starts to use up glycogen you will "crave" carbohydrates to replace it. This is the hardest time. Just remember, giving in "just a little" only prolongs this stage and increases the likelihood of failure. Once you get through it, you won't want that stuff. So tough it out... you can help yourself by eating frequently, staying very hydrated and keeping your electrolytes up (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium). Chicken or beef broth are the best way to do that... 2 cups a day, AM and PM. Don't be afraid of eating... or of fat. This is the time to enjoy butter, steaks, olive oil, etc.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    Thanks for the replies.Is a lot of the initial weight loss,weight lost or losing water that was retained during carb intake.I have also heard that taking a chromium tablet before each meal also helps with weight loss.Does anyone have any experience/facts on these questions?

BMI
    A lot of the initial loss is water... it takes 3g of water to hold 1g of glycogen in storage. Once you deplete your glycogen stores the water is released. This is also the cause of the FAST weight gain if someone falls off the wagon into a carb feeding frenzy. "It's water weight." I'm sure you've read that many times. If that person is able to go right back to a low carb way of eating the water will come off when the glycogen is used up again. Of course, the cravings make this difficult to do...

I haven't ever heard about taking a chromium supplement before every meal. That doesn't pass my sanity check. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is simply too much. Research that before you try it. Check to see if chromium in high doses is toxic.

BMI
    Good info Tril. I started taking Chromium as a suppliment for my diabetes years ago, i also read that it helps in building muscles whtn weight lifting. I only take it once a day and I have never read where it helps with weight loss.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

BMI
    Aradasky,on the bottle it says it helps with weight loss,even if it is just a placebo atleast it has other benefits as well.

BMI
    Just be careful... claims made on supplements aren't always real. Supplements don't fall under the same label requirements as food or prescription drugs.

Hi there! Which plan are you doing? I find that there are so many and if you looked at South Beach vs. Atkins they are so different in what they allow. I don't think you go into ketosis on South Beach, but I find that while in ketosis I don't have any cravings so I can't do South Beach (I did try, epic failure). No advice on Chromium, I agree with others, the internet is such a pool of information, google it and see what comes up!

Happy low carbing!

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
    What is the verdict on milk,tea,honey,oats and what fruit is allowed?
    Hi mate, please download the free Atkins carb counter and it will give you the net carbs for 100s of food including fruit n veg, etc.

You'l find it here http://www.atkins.com/Program/Carb-Counter.aspx

As a general rule, some milk is better than others. Soy or almond milk, for example is more beneficial than cows milk. Any tea without milk is fine, such as green tea or black tea. Honey i'm not too sure about. Oats is a definite NO! And for fruits, berries are the best. The carb counter guide will reveal all!

Great info!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.