substitute for almond flour?

BMI

substitute for almond flour?

I have a recipe for Atkins friendly poppy seed muffins I want to make but it calls for 1 cup of almond flour. It's $11.00 a bag at the grocery store and they don't sell it in the bulk foods section, or I could just buy the one cup. Can I substitute something for it and still keep it low carb?

BMI
    I knew it can be made at home, but I've never done it (I don't bake low carb). I found this:

"It's messy and a pain in the butt but if you're patient and have extra time on your hands, you can make nut flour. You just grind up about 1/2 cup of nuts at a time until fine but before it turns into butter. If you want it finer, sift it through a strainer. A pound of nuts yeilds 4 1/2 cups of sifted nut flour. I put just enough almonds in the blender to just barely cover the blades then put on the grind setting and stop it when the flour stops swirling. Then I pour out the flour on top into a bowl and dig the bottom stuff out with a butter knife into a strainer and then rub it through with my fingers until I get nothing but grainy bits and put that in a cup then pour the top flour back into the blender and blend again ( this may not be necessary but I feel like I'm getting it finer and getting more out of it this way) then put it through the sifter and repeat with the rest of the nuts. This takes me about an hour to process 1 pound of nuts."

Hope this helps. For your one cup "flour" it sounds like you'll only need about 1/4# almonds. Good luck!

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    Thats why we are so glad you are here! I was going to say try grinding it but never thought about it turning to butter
    Good luck Laura

BMI
    And if it did turn to almond butter.... YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    Oh, I am on my way to Trader Jos for their almond butter with flax seeds in it...... I am almost out and that is not allowed in this house!
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Try Wheat Gluten...................
    I use Wheat Gluten to make both pancakes and waffles.
    I have used almond flour but it goes off very fast unless fresh and kept in the ice box (fridge).
    Wheat Gluten does have some carbs but nothing like real flour.

PS. The best pancakes i ever tasted are made with Wheat Gluten....................
    I used to live to eat......... Now I eat to live.....
    Even a Fish wouldn't get into trouble if it would only keep its mouth shut..
    Originally weighed 358.... New weight.. 208 as of mid June 2014

I make my own walnut, sunflower and macadamia flours. I use my food processer. You do have to watch it carefully. The sunflowers make delicious butter, that takes about 15 mins of processing. To flour stage takes about 3-5 mins. I've never done almonds as I get it in bulk at the health food store for a good proce per kg. (Can't remember the price but it must have been Ok or I wouldn't have bought it.)

BMI
    It's the same price here, in Arizona, but I do love my low carb cheesecake crust, I mean almond flour.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.