Thread: Dry Cereal

Dry Cereal

Sometimes I crave dry cereal, and this satisfies the cravings for me. Eaten as-is, it tastes like granola to me, but I like it best in a bowl with almond milk and artificial sweetener. Very crunchy and munchy.

Dry Cereal

2 tablespoons sliced almonds
    2 tablespoons coarsely ground almonds
    3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds
    2 tablespoons pancake syrup
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine dry ingredients, stir in the syrup. Spread thinly on a sprayed dinner plate. Microwave 3 minutes. Break into pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehex View Post
    Sounds yummy - but is that sugar free syrup, or regular?
    Sugar free. In my mind, sugary syrup no longer exists.

I think it is. Sometimes I use walnuts instead of sliced almonds. After microwaving this, don't refrigerate, keep it on the counter, uncovered. The more it dries out, the better. Of course the recipe only makes one serving, but it's just enough for a bowl of cereal.

I know you can't get pork rinds, I wonder if there is something you could substitute for them in this recipe. It needs to be something that absorbs liquid because that is what the pork rinds do in this recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehex View Post
    LOL, knowing me, I'd probably use psyllium...
    Good idea, but since there is only 2 tablespoons of liquid to be absorbed, I would use very little of it, and for the crunch of the 3 tablespoons of pork rinds, you could use walnuts or some other type of nuts. Could work.

BMI
    How about shredded or flaked coconut?
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Do you mean coconut instead of phyllium?

You would need something crunchy to replace the walnuts/almonds.

BMI
    I was wondering about replacing the pork rinds with coconut. The nuts would still crunch and coconut absorbs liquid. I LOVE coconut.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradasky View Post
    I was wondering about replacing the pork rinds with coconut. The nuts would still crunch and coconut absorbs liquid. I LOVE coconut.
    After the pork rinds absorb the liquid, they also dry out and crunch, but it's worth a try.

BMI
    True about the pork rinds. I dont think the coconut would dry out in a microwave. However, in an oven for a bit, it would even get toasted! I will have to try it after we add nuts back in. We hid our nuts because my DH was in a mini stall and as soon as we hid them (freezer) he started losing again. I dont want to tempt him so I have not had any either. He is a true convert to this way of eating.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.