MY USUAL DISCLAIMER: These mini cakes are not 'eggy' or grainy and you can't smell or taste the pork rinds, plus there is no taste from the baking soda. They are very good.

-------------------------
VARIATIONS: These little cakes can be changed up in so many ways, and no one would know it is basically the same recipe every time. You can use vanilla, maple, lemon, banana or whatever flavor extract in the cake and/or frosting. You can substitute all or part of the heavy cream in the cake and frosting recipes with any flavor syrup, lemon juice or any other liquid you want. You can use whatever type of nuts in the cake or sprinkle them on the frosting. You can substitute unsweetened chocolate chips or coconut or whatever you want for the nuts in the cake. You can add coconut, chocolate shavings or whatever you want to the frosting recipe.
-------------------------

ABOUT THE GLYCERINE: Glycerine is a necessary ingredient in this recipe or they will be more bread-like than cake-like. Glycerine is used in making soap and cosmetics, but there is also a food-grade glycerine. Netrition sells a large bottle of vegetable glycerine and it doesn't cost much. Since this and some of my other recipes only use 2 teaspoons, the bottle lasts a very long time. Glycerine is also used in cake decorating, so it can sometimes be found in smaller bottles in stores among the cake decorating supplies.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION: Can I substitute something else for the pork rind flour?
ANSWER: I don't know because I've never tried it. If you try it, please report back.

HOW TO MAKE PORK RIND FLOUR: Use a blender or food processor to grind until the concistency of crushed pork rinds, then measure the rinds for the recipe, then either grind the measured rinds in a coffee or spice grinder (recommended) or return them to the blender or processor and grind as fine as possible.

ABOUT WHOOPIE PIE PANS: The pans usually have 12 wells in them. Each well is about 3" in diameter, and not very deep. If you don't have one, you might have a pan in your kitchen that would work.

NOTE: Once the wet ingredients are combined with the dry, the batter thickens fast, it is easier to work with when it is less thick, so be sure to oil the pan and measure all the ingredients before combining the wet and dry.

WIDGET'S MINI CAKES (makes 12)

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pork rind flour (approx. 1/2 oz.)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 packets Splenda
2 tablespoons heavy cream (or other liquid)
2 teaspoons glycerine
1 teaspoon extract of choice
3 eggs (I use medium)
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil the whoppie pan.

In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Place the cream (or other liquid), glycerine, extract and eggs in another small bowl. Place the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and nuke 30 seconds. While butter is nuking, use a fork to beat together the liquid ingredients. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the butter until the lumps are gone, then stir in the other half until no lumps.

Beat half of the buttered ingredients into the egg mixture until smooth, then beat in the other half. Stir in the nuts.

Divide the batter between the whoopie pie wells and bake 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan at once to cool before frosting. Keep refrigerated.

FROSTING

4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon extract of choice
4 packets sweetener
3 tablespoons heavy cream (or other liquid)

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat together all ingredients except the cream until well blended. Stir in the cream.

FOR ONE MINI CAKE
Total Carbs 3.4g
Fiber .9g
Net Carbs 2.5g

FOR ALL 12 MINI CAKES
Total Carbs 34.9g
Fiber 9g
Net Carbs 25.9g