Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Widget's Hamburger Buns

Widget's Hamburger Buns

I 'invented' these hamburger buns because I'm not too fond of oopsies, and the lc hamburger bun recipes I have found online didn't taste that good and weren't much like bread, so I kept playing around until I came up with this. Don't be fooled by the fact that these buns are on the thin side. They will even stand up to a big juicy angus burger with a lot of sloppy toppings.

They are not 'eggy', and if you grind the pork rinds as per the instructions and use finely ground almond flour, they aren't grainy. They don't have the texture of pork rinds and none of the pork rind taste or smell. You wouldn't know they were in there if you hadn't made them yourself. There is also no taste from the baking soda, they look and taste like bread.

Regular hamburger buns are on the sweet side, and the recipe calls for 2 packets of sweetener, but still, they don't taste sweet to us. You can adjust the sweetener, salt, onion and garlic powder to suit your taste. And did I mention, these buns taste really good, even if I do say so myself.

I KNOW SOMEONE IS GOING TO ASK: Can I substitute something else for the pork rind flour?
    ANSWER: I don't know because I've never tried it. If you try it, please report back.

HOW TO MAKE PORK RIND FLOUR: Use a blender or food processor to grind until the concistency of crushed pork rinds, then measure the rinds for the recipe, then either grind the measured rinds in a coffee or spice grinder (recommended) or return them to the blender or processor and grind as fine as possible.

NOTE: Once the wet ingredients are combined with the dry, the batter thickens fast, it is easier to work with when it is less thick, so be sure to oil the pan and measure all the ingredients before combining the wet and dry.

WIDGET'S HAMBURGER BUNS (makes 6)

3/4 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pork rind flour (approx. 1/2 oz.)
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 packets Splenda
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    3 eggs (I use medium)
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil the wells of a muffin top pan.

In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. In another small bowl, use a fork to beat together the eggs and mayonnaise until well blended. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until smooth, then stir in the other half until smooth.

Spoon the mixture evenly into the wells of the pan.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately and let cool. Cut in half with a serrated knife. Can be frozen.

FOR THE ENTIRE RECIPE
    Total Carbs = 22.9g
    Fiber = 9g
    Net Carbs = 13.9g

FOR ONE BUN
    Total Carbs = 3.8g
    Fiber = 1.5g
    Net Carbs = 2.3g

Quote Originally Posted by bluehex View Post
    I imagine this would make a nice pizza crust as well, if baked flat?
    I believe there are a lot of possibilities for this recipe. I am working on a couple right now, and of course, now that I read your post, I have to also try to get the ingredients just right for a pizza crust... thanks loads... I kind of feel like one of those mad scientists sometimes.

BMI
    Hi Widget
    Just a rather stupid question. You mention the wells of a muffin top pan??? Do you mean a regular muffin pan or is there actually a pan designed for tops only? I've never seen such a thing.

Bluehex, maybe one of us could mail you some pork rinds There pretty light, I don't think it would cost much and they might get there already crushed ready to use I wouldn't mind if you really want some.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie58 View Post
    Hi Widget
    Just a rather stupid question. You mention the wells of a muffin top pan??? Do you mean a regular muffin pan or is there actually a pan designed for tops only? I've never seen such a thing.

Bluehex, maybe one of us could mail you some pork rinds There pretty light, I don't think it would cost much and they might get there already crushed ready to use I wouldn't mind if you really want some.

Yes, it's supposed to be just the tops. The wells are about 4" in diameter and not very deep.

Bluehex, if you do find a way to get a supply of pork rinds, I chop them then put in a freezer bag. Mine don't freeze in a hard mass, so you can squish the bag and measure out what you want. I don't chop them very fine before freezing because I use the more coarsely chopped rinds when I make meatloaf, meatballs, stuffed pepper and I thicken chili and stewed tomatoes with them.

BMI
    Well I'll be darned....I'm going to have to find me one of those and the uses you have for Pork Rinds are awesome. Meatballs would be great and as a thickener, again, fabulous idea! Thanks

You're welcome.

I also make great tasting donuts, whoopie pies and mini cakes with pork rinds in them. Those recipes will be coming up, but it will take a while to get them ready to post.

BMI
    Donuts????????? Oh My.....do that one first okay!!!

Donuts????????? Oh My.....do that one first okay!!!
    Your wish is my command. It is posted.

Great ideas. Thanks so much. I might just try that pizza crust and adding some seasonings such as oregano is an excellent idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jo
    My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today.

Quote Originally Posted by benshad61 View Post
    Great ideas. Thanks so much. I might just try that pizza crust and adding some seasonings such as oregano is an excellent idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jo
    IMHO it ain't pizza crust if it doesn't smell and taste like yeast. Probably mission impossible.

I just made these and took them put of the oven! They smell amazing! I will report back with my results!

BMI
    Wow - I am dying to know what everyone thinks of these. I hope I get time to try to make them myself.

SOOooo, is there a million dollars to be made in marketing pork rind flour, or what?

BMI
    So how were they Mcaudille? Anxious to hear?

So how were they Mcaudille? Anxious to hear?
    They are AMAZING!!!! Did I say amazing?! I can not thank you enough for this! I've made up a batch and they are in the freezer. Thank you, thank you THANK YOU!

BMI
    Mcaudill

Did you use the type of pan recomended? I haven't been able to find one yet. I may have to look online but I didn't want to do that unless they were worth making so thanks for the review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.