Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Atkins and weight training

Atkins and weight training

Dear all, I was on Atkins last year and lost about 30 lbs and then I got fed up of only being able to eat a small range of food and went on to weightwatchers - Atkins actually kickstarted my weight loss and I lost about 100 lbs in total in 2011, but recently, owing to financial worries and things, I have been unable to focus on the WW diet and I have put 30lbs back on. I am thinking of doing Atkins again, as my carb intake is through the roof at the moment, and I am seeing the negative results. The trouble is I have been going to the gym every day for a year - one day I work out on weights machines focusing on my legs (I can push 170kg now) and the next day my arms (90kg) - so I am more muscular than I was - but I am not sure if I can keep up this intensity of workout on Atkins. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if this is possible, and if this is possible in the Induction phase too. Thanks.

I think no one is really sure on this point - do your muscles need glycogen to work out or not? Well, I'm diving in the deep end starting Atkins tomorrow and I plan to continue my exercise so I will let you all know the results.

I cannot answer your question but good luck when you restart Atkins!

Welcome!

Jo

BMI
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articl...mic-meals.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articl...gh-Carb-t.aspx this is a long article about uping protein and hard workouts. I have to be careful with my protein as it is also turned into glycogen.

Also there is a bit of info here http://www.lowcarbsite.com/showthrea...802#post142802
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

I've always weight lifted while on Atkins, always, my intensity has always been around your level, though i do a total body workout MWF (HIIT) and then Anaerobic (HITT running) on TTh, so yes, you can continue your workout. You know your body by now, listen to it when it needs more protein and/or carbs adjust it to fit, Arlene's articles are great, there are thousands of others online as well!

Good luck to you, will you be posting your workouts daily? I will start doing that next week.

BMI
    You'll see a difference when you start Induction in your muscle strength/endurance. Until your body makes the switch to burning ketones for energy, you may feel fatigued easily. Give it time. You have to force your body to produce a necessary enzyme. It will happen, but not overnight. When your body has adapted you should be back to "normal".

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

BMI
    Vince Gironda was the Iron Guru. He answered the question quite succinctly decades ago. The answer is, NO. He very specifically said in his "Maximum Definition" diet, circa 1968 in "Blueprint for the Bodybuilder" "You must, however, eat some carbohydrate every four or five days because you will find that you will smooth and veins and cuts will disappear. You will find also that you are not getting the pump you should and your strength will decrease."

Also, "Don't try to eat a small amount of carbohydrates each day. You will find you are only smoothing out."

So, as I say on my own blog, it really is best to choose a goal and focus solely on it. If you are trying to lose weight, go with a ketogenic diet, like Atkins. If you are trying to build muscle, the best way to go is a cyclic ketogenic diet where you are basically eat almost no carbs for 3 or 4 days and then "have that spaghetti meal" with no accompanying protein.

I *highly* suggest you read up on Vince Gironda.

BMI
    I wonder if his (Vince) information is applicable to women...

BMI
    Absolutely - perhaps it's particularly true for women since it's harder for women to maintain their cuts. I'm sure you will find out in your research of Gironda that among the many things he was famous for, he was the person who made "body shaping" available to women and put them in the spotlight by calling the way of life "physical culture". Additionally, he devoted entire portions of his body of work solely to women, another first in the field.

Of particular note: Vince Gironda was probably the last well-known steroid free professional body builder. He was against steroids because he thought that raw, fertile eggs could produce the same muscle gain as dianabol (the popular steroid of the day), without the harmful side effects. He also thought that you could achieve wonderful cuts without drugs by, you guessed it, a low-carb diet.

The quote I used above wasn't for his normal low carb way of life, but from his "maximum definition" diet, to be used before a competition, and it definitely applied to women as well as men.

BMI
    I've started reading some of his stuff... and about him. GREAT suggestion. Thanks!

BMI
    Ron Kosloff is still alive. He's another old great who worked with Gironda himself and I believe his family is the only one actually authorized to sell copies of Girondas routines and diets- which are considered highly prized collectors editions and "secrets".

I think they run a company called NSP nutritionals or something similar. You can find a lot of it on the web but trust me- get your hands on an original copy of Vince Girondas "Blueprint for the Bodybuider" where he discusses this exact question. You'll thank me.

I have no connection to them but I *highly* suggest that if you are a woman concerned about something important like workout intensity, you will find your pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

Great thread. A lot of people can train with high intensity without carbs. I actually train totally fasted most of the time. The issue is more about what you eat after training. You need the carbs then for the Insulin spike. If you stay on almost zero carbs after training then you are not going to be building muscle, you may be able to stay at about the same level, but improvement is going to be very tough. And muscle gain basically impossible.

I have to say I've been low carbing for well over a year, and I'm having no difficulty whatsoever with weight training. I'm definitely getting stronger, and I'm 60 years old... I think you may want to wait until you're adapted to low carb again, I.e., post induction.

BMI
    Good to hear, TzuBee. I lift at the gym twice a week, have no trouble at all. I also walk 6 miles with my buddies on Sundays. Again,no problem. And I do not give myself any bursts of carbs.....but then I am not young (in my 60s as well) and do not care if I am "chiseled" or not. I can lift my 2 year old grandson and play with him and the older ones with no problem! That is my goal!
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradasky View Post
    Good to hear, TzuBee. I lift at the gym twice a week, have no trouble at all. I also walk 6 miles with my buddies on Sundays. Again,no problem. And I do not give myself any bursts of carbs.....but then I am not young (in my 60s as well) and do not care if I am "chiseled" or not. I can lift my 2 year old grandson and play with him and the older ones with no problem! That is my goal!
    You hit it on the head, I think. It all depends on what your goals are. I want to remain strong, build muscle and keep my bones from getting weak. I would also love to lose that last stinkin' 15 pounds, which seem to have settled around my middle, but that remains to be seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.