Old Atkins book v new Atkins book!

BMI

Old Atkins book v new Atkins book!

hi, i have been following the old Atkins book for 5 weeks now with good results apart from the last 10 days where i have stalled. I bought the newer version of the atkins book today and it seems that i have been doing things slightly wrong which may explain my stall. Firstly i have been eating protein in liberal amounts, not massive amounts, just enough to satisfy me, but the new book says there are certain amounts you should be eating, there is a table in the book to work out how much protein for your height/sex. also i am confused about the fact you can now drink caffine, saying that in moderation it modestly assists fat burning, and that i have to count splenda tabs that i have in coffee (i thought the tabs had very little carbs in them compared to the granulated sort.if the tabs are 1 gram of carbs each then at least 8 grams of carbs are just going in my coffee! there seems to be a lot more weighing and calculating to do in the updated version. ohhh i am feeling like the new way of eating is getting on top of me!!

BMI
    hi tracy, have you tried the atkins.com board? i have found a lot of help on this board and the other one. the newer book does sound confusing. i have to order mine today. not sure which one i will choose. i know the newer books have portion sizes for veggies. drink at least 8 cups of water a day. cheese is limited to 4 oz a day. it uses net carbs. i found it confusing, but think i understand now. Ex: look at number of total carbs, then look at how much fiber. use the total carbs and subtract the fiber grams to find the total net carbs. if something is 10 carbs and has 3 fiber grams, the net carbs are then 7. hope i haven't confused you more. once i figured it was carbs minus fiber = net carbs, it was easier. if there is no fiber, count the total carbs. maybe just shake your food plan up. one way that helped me in past was to eat off plan for one night. add something off my list. i know this is an atkins 'no no', but it helped me and several of my friends. But, i won't assure you this! if you gained, i would feel awful! i hope this finds it's way to you! i looked at when you posted and it has been awhile. please let me know if you read this. take care. keep doing what you've been doing and maybe try the changes above. hope to hear from you! kim

BMI
    hi,i have reverted back to the old book, its more straightforward. i have moved on to owl now and am very happy with the extra veggies, still no loss though its 6 weeks since i lost anything and i am trying to stay positive. i just keep reading the book, i think i know it word for word!

BMI
    Tracy,

Thank you for responding.

I did order newer book but have feeling it may be going back! It does seem to be confusing! My older book is somewhere in the attic...ughhh! I've been counting carbs, not just net, and try to stay around 20. Usually, it's closer to mid twenties. I've used the bar's allowed for induction's, and hopefully, they haven't slowed weight down. If they do.. it will back to the cupboards!

Mostly I'm going to do what I remember from old, with some newer knowledge. Congratulation's for moving on to owl! I am sure your weight will come off. Even if it is slower!

Have a good day/evening!

Kim

From what I have seen, on the old Adkins '72, they eat mostly meat and some eat only meat.

Dr. Adkins New Diet Revolution 1992-2002 (which was written by Adkins himself) is when Adkins added more vegetables to re-train us to eat nutritiously as well as loosing weight and he also designed an exit plan for preparing for the end of the weight loss and devised a method to maintain our goal weight.

This plan uses what is called net carbs which is very easy.
    It just means that if an allowed food has fiber, you can deduct that fiber from the total carb count.
    Example: Broccoli=3.9g carbs /subtract fiber=2.2g fiber/ net carb count = 1.7 net carb

Easy Math:
    3.9g carbs total for Broccoli
    -2.2g fiber
    ----------------
    1.7 net carbs for Broccoli

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.