Is it only me?

Is it only me?

I was hoping to get some info on good books to read (and ones not to bother with) here. Is it only me who reads books? You don't have to have just read it today, you know. If you've got a good book to tell about come on guys...
    I've just finished The Count of Monte Cristo. It took me 3 weeks - normally I read 3 books a week. Not that it wasn't good, it was excellent, but hard work especially as they all had funny Fench names and changed them while he was in prison - I kept forgetting who had done what to who...

It's maybe light reading after the Count of Monte Cristo, but I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and loved it. One of those books that keeps you on the couch for hours.

I read The Help on holiday - it was good but I thought the ending a bit lame.
    Square Foot Gardening is my favourite gardening book - I particularly learned from it how much to plant. e.g. are you going to eat one cabbage a week through winter? Then you only need 12 cabbages not hundreds.

See, Tril? It's only me reads books - or it's only me reads this section...

The post that I made a few deays ago should have been here.

I don't read much anymore, what I read is religious I have been reading the Whispers series-My daughter bought Whispers of Joy and Whispers of promise for me. They are one page inspiring quotes, I love reading the bible -it gives me peace and strength. I love just about anything by Billy Graham, and I enjoy Beth Moore. So I do read.

BMI
    Well, I am odd. I read mostly fantasy, light sci-fi, and horror. No one ever reads what I do, so I tend not to talk about it

Talk about it - for a start, what is 'light' science fiction?

I used to read Stephen King, Koontz and McGammon, Those were my favorite outhors. In fact Swan Song and The Stand were my favorite books. But I began going to church and there was a huge change in the things that interested me. Now those old favorites just don't pull me like they used to.

BMI
    Quote Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
    Talk about it - for a start, what is 'light' science fiction?
    "Light" science fiction (and maybe it's a term I made up - I have heard it called "soft" sci-fi, and perhaps that would be a better term to have used) is just sci-fi with more emphasis on the "fiction" than the "science." Like, it happens to be set in the sci-fi genre, but it's not all hardcore science, and physics and such. I guess stuff along the lines of Star Wars, because you don't ever worry about HOW stuff works, and you don't really care. It's just a good read.

"SF based not on engineering or the "hard" sciences (for example, physics, astronomy, or chemistry) but on the "soft" sciences, and especially the social sciences (anthropology, sociology, psychology, political science, and so on)." (from wikipedia)

So, for instance, I LOVE dystopian and post-apocolyptic fiction, and character driven stories that may just happen to take place in the future, or on another world

Also - joyfulnoise - The Stand and Swan Song are two of my favorites, slao!

Talynn have you read The Gone Away War? That was one of the best post-apocalyptic books I read in a long time. ONe of those books where halfway down page 1 you realise things are SO different you haven't got a clue what's going on.
    Have you got any to recommend?

BMI
    Quote Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
    Talynn have you read The Gone Away War? That was one of the best post-apocalyptic books I read in a long time. ONe of those books where halfway down page 1 you realise things are SO different you haven't got a clue what's going on.
    Have you got any to recommend?
    I haven't! I will look into it.

Hmm, recommendations. A lot of people may have already read "The Road" (by Cormac McCarthy), and it's a pretty good one. Much better than the movie, though the movie wasn't *terrible*.

There's one I really enjoyed called "A Canticle for Leibowitz" (by Walter Miller, I think it is).

Also, really one of the best books I've -ever- read, regardless of genre, is "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It's a collection of first person tales of survivors of the Zombie War Even if you aren't into Zombies, the book is amazing, and much better than the premise may make it sound.

I also highly recommend "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood. She wrote "The Handmaid's Tale" if you've read that. If you haven't, you should!

Also mentioned earlier, "The Stand" (Stephen King) and "Swan Song" (Robert McCammon) are excellent post-apocalyptics, though both have a supernatural-ish bent that none of the others I mentioned have.

Whew, that got long! Hope there's something good in there!

Good, I'll try some of those, I don't go for the horror ones though.
    this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sparrow-Mary...7908070&sr=1-1
    is one of the best books I EVER read, its about a jesuit priest who commits a murder on a foreign planet at the beginning and is told in flashback about his life and how he got there and the more you read the more you know he couldn't have committed that murder - but he was caught in the act. Brilliantly written, top science fiction and top fiction generally.

BMI
    One of those books that keeps you on the couch for hours.
    A good reason NOT to read it, for me!

Lately, Patricia Cornwell and Cathy Reichs, "New Atkins, New You", and Cesar Millan's "How to Raise a Perfect Puppy" in preparation for our litter of new babies in October.

BUT, I'll read anything on a long haul flight!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.