The Vitamin D Solution: A 3-Step Strategy Dr Holick

The Vitamin D Solution: A 3-Step Strategy Dr Holick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...r_mts_prod_img
    Um...scary book, very scary. I went out and bought a Vitamin D supplement before I was even 1/3 of the way through it. Very easily readable and grabs you like a suspense novel. Part one, the effects of Vitamin D deficiency, gets you wondering 'am I deficient?' so you read on...Part Two, how to tell if you are deficient gets you thinking (unless you work on a chain gang or live in a loincloth in the tropics)'OMG I'm deficient what do I do about it?'...part three is what to do about it. The author repeats the most important information several times throughout the book so you really, really do 'get it'
    Only one annoying thing - there are several pages of references in the back, always a good thing, but when in the text Dr Holick says 'studies have found that...' he doesn't give a connection at that point to the original reference, so if, like me, you want to read the whole study it's impossible to find the one he is referring to.
    And what's weight loss about it? Well, Vitamin D regulates the hormone that says 'stop eating, you've had enough'. If you have a lot of excess fat then Vit D, being fat soluble, is stored there and not available so that hormone doesn't work effectively.
    Dr Holick does have a few things to say about healthy eating that you and I wouldn't agree with, but you have to excuse a man who has devoted so much energy into examining Vitamin D if he doesn't also have time to read the diet literature - after all,it isn't his speciality

Oh, one more thing - if you can't be bothered to read this book, just go out and get yourself a 1,000IU Vitamin D supplement (or a loincloth), and just trust me on this.

yes he goes on about sunscreen big time. Also did you know that for every one person who dies of skin cancer through too much sun, 55 die of breast, colon or prostate cancer directly related to not having enough Vitamin D (=sunshine)? Holick pulls no punches - he says that the information we are given is due to sunshine being free and sunscreen able to make somebody a nice little earner...

BMI
    I'm going on Amazon to buy this book Floray.
    I have also heard that there may be a link between vitamin D deficiency and autism in children. Really, really scarry!!!

Thanks Floray for this information. I stopped taking the Vitamin D supplement a while ago because it was aggravating my ongoing constipation problem. Tomorrow I am scheduled for a colonoscopy due to some abnormalities found in a non-invasive colon test. WHERE IS MY VITAMIN D! OMG, hope it is not too late. LOL!

When I stopped taking the Vit D I was back to "my normal" so deducted from that the Vit D was the culprit. I also have the same problems if I take the big Vit C tablets. I am in excruciating pain and when I go off them, I am just fine. My husband had the same reaction to taking Vit D and his system is much better than mine.

I guess it is just "me" and not the Vitamins.
    Last edited by benshad61; 03-31-2011 at 07:56 AM.

That's interesting Benshad - did you prove it was the Vit D causing your problem? there's nothing about it in this book, and Vit D is something you make naturally anyway. Or was it a filler ingredient in the tablet?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.