ketosis and high blood glucose

ketosis and high blood glucose

Been on <20 carbs per day for five days. Blood glucose has yet to go below 130. Does one still go into ketosis when the BG is elevated?

BMI
    gmp... when are you testing? Is it 130 after fasting for 8 hours?? When are you testing... because that will make the biggest difference.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

Thank you for your response. I test numerous times per day with varied results. 130 is just he best that I had seen to date. My fasting bg iranges from 140 - 170. Drung the day it can get as high as 190 one or two hours after a meal.

I wabt get my bg below 100 consistently, but I also want to lose weight, hence my question about ketosis and elevated bg. I have not boutght any test strips yet, becasuse I do not want to get frustrated if I am not in ketosis.

If I have to be patient and wait until my bg lowers consistently, so bie it. I just want to know.

BTW - I take 10mg of glipizide per day.

Thanks again for your replyl

Mike

BMI
    Well... low carb doesn't equate to low blood sugar. It will help you achieve more normal numbers. But the body will maintain blood glucose even if you don't eat ANY carbs. It has to. How?

A nutritionist at Atkins explained it this way...

"First of all, normal blood sugar is between 60 and 120. Both your readings were normal.There is no need for concern.

Blood glucose is coming from several mechanisms on Atkins.We have a mandatory level of blood glucose we must maintain at all times.
    When we are on a fat metabolism, Glucagon plays an important role.
    Glucagon production is stimulated by dietary protein ingestion.

Ratio of dietary amino acids/glucose determines release of insulin or glucagon by the pancreas.
    Actions:
    Stimulates breakdown of stored glycogen to glucose
    Shifts fatty acids away from storage as triglycerides and toward ketogenic pathways
    Promotes hepatic output of ketone bodies from fatty acid precursors
    Maintains hepatic glucose output via amino acid precursors (gluconeogenesis)"

So many things can cause BG to go up and down... find out what it "should be" (like a fasting test... or one hour... or two hours after eating) and then see where you fall. Exercise and caffeine can effect the number, too.

Finally... 5 days may not be enough to see a change. Give it some more time.

A very detailed response, but the answer to my question still alludes. Forgive me if I am being obtusem but put simply:

Does elevated blood glucose levels (over 120) prevent one from going into ketosis? Yes or no?

Thanks for your patience.

BMI
    Simple answer... no. You can eat ZERO carbs and still your BG will be maintained by your body. If you eat zero carbs your body will be forced into ketosis. So blood glucose does not prohibit ketosis. Carbohydrates in your diet does that.

Most people will make the switch to ketosis in 3 to 4 days. That's about how long it takes to use up the stored glycogen. Exercise can speed that process up but using up the glycogen faster. You should be in ketosis. Does your breath have a different, almost acetone, odor/taste? Are you peeing a LOT? Is your hunger less? Are the cravings gone? Have you lost weight? Those are good ways to determine what state you're in. For me, I also can tell based on WHY I want something to eat. When I'm in ketosis, I want food because I'm hungry... and it's easy to pick the right foods. When I'm in glycolysis I want food all the time, and I want carbs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

In response to your questions:

Urination frequency has not changed.

I'll have to ask the boss, my wife, about the breath

Believe it or not, I haven't weighed yet. I can't see the scale readings and just havebn't taken the opportunity to have my wife read it for me. I usually weight on a balance scale at the gym, but haven't beenthis week.

Desire for sweets and standard carbs such as bread, rice, passtam etc has diminished.

Now that I know my blood glucose doesn't prevent ketosis, I'll buy the test strips. Ketosis or not, I intend to stay on this regimen in order to get my A1C below 6 consistenty.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Although I am visually impaired, I can see well enough to see from your picture that you are a very attactive lady. Statement of fact, not flirtation.

Thanks again.

BMI
    Did you know that you can get talking scales?? Google it... "talking scales". I would think that would be very handy for you. Heck, my 50yo eyes won't let me see the number while standing on the scale... I have to get off and bend down to read it. Maybe I'll get a talking scale, too. LOL

From your description, it sounds to me like you're in ketosis. Give it a week or so and then do a fasting test... I'd love to know what your number is then. As you lose weight and continue eating low carb I really believe your numbers will improve!

"Although I am visually impaired, I can see well enough to see from your picture that you are a very attactive lady. Statement of fact, not flirtation. "

Thank you!

I know I am a day late and a dollar short in joining this conversation... I just found this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/

Warning! It is rather scholarly, and therefore has to be chewed, rather than skimmed.

I am taking Anatomy and Physiology as part of my RN training... I asked my (anti-low-carb) teacher, "What is the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis?"
    She basically told me to go research it on the web. So I did, and found this article. (Yes, I gave her the link to the answer I found ...heh heh)

Here is a clip:
    Diabetic patients know that the detection in their urine of the ketone bodies is a danger signal that their diabetes is poorly controlled. Indeed, in severely uncontrolled diabetes, if the ketone bodies are produced in massive supranormal quantities, they are associated with ketoacidosis [5]. In this life-threatening complication of diabetes mellitus, the acids 3-hydroxybutyric acid and acetoacetic acid are produced rapidly, causing high concentrations of protons, which overwhelm the body's acid-base buffering system. However, during very low carbohydrate intake, the regulated and controlled production of ketone bodies causes a harmless physiological state known as dietary ketosis. In ketosis, the blood pH remains buffered within normal limits [5]. Ketone bodies have effects on insulin and glucagon secretions that potentially contribute to the control of the rate of their own formation because of antilipolytic and lipolytic hormones, respectively [9]. Ketones also have a direct inhibitory effect on lipolysis in adipose tissue [10].

Interestingly, the effects of ketone body metabolism suggest that mild ketosis may offer therapeutic potential in a variety of different common and rare disease states [11]. The large categories of disease for which ketones may have therapeutic effects are: 1) diseases of substrate insufficiency or insulin resistance; 2) diseases resulting from free radical damage; and 3) disease resulting from hypoxia [11].

************************************************** *****************************************
    On a less scholarly note:

I am a Type-2 Diabetic, on a LC diet. My fasting blood glucose readings come down significantly when I am really really good. But if I fall off the wagon for a day, I can expect the next morning to show the evidence! Usually the Fasting Glucose level results are 20 to 30 points higher if I have eaten only so much as 40 grams higher than Induction level the day before. I have fought the morning glucose down to 106. I have found that as I lose belly fat (which increases insulin resistance) the fasting glucose numbers come down, slowly. And the lower my fasting glucose is, the easier it is to burn carbs.

Therefore, to dieting diabetics, I would advise: be patient, and stick to it. Be sure to exercise daily, especially if you happened to take in a few more carbs. Exercise is one way of shuttling excess carbs out of the bloodstream and into the muscles to store as glycogen. As you exercise, you are burning up your existing glycogen stores, and pulling glucose out of your bloodstream to replenish the glycogen storage. The lower you can keep that blood glucose, the healthier you will be in the long run.

BMI
    Daffodylady,

I, too, am a type 2 but my fasting glucose went from 135 or so to 84 in one week of 20 grams of carbs. I am keeping my carbs at or below thirty now and do not see many days of being much higher than that in my life from now on. Fasting glucose is perfect! You give good advice.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.