Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sourdough

BMI

Chris, I am not a chemist so I cannot answer your question except that I think you should experiment! Keep us informed.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

My Sourdough Experiments...

I've been experimenting with sourdough for several years now. I just recently started using Jovial's einkorn flour--it has 80g carb per cup, compared to regular AP flour's 95g per cup. I too believe that the carb count is significantly lower than what the typical internet sites claim. I've noticed that my homemade sourdough bread will not brown in the toaster. It gets nice and crispy, just not brown. I checked with a "sourdough expert," and he told me it is because all (or most of) the sugar is "eaten" by the sourdough during the long slow rise (fermentation). I use a 10-14 hour rise depending on the weather here (central coast south of San Francisco). My bread also keeps for at least a week on the counter without molding--that too might indicate a lower starch sugar content, though the typical dry texture of sourdough may also help. (Mold requires moisture, a food source--starch to sugar--and darkness to grow.) I don't have the same experience with store bought sourdough. Often store bought sourdough is made "sour" with a vinegar additive rather than a developed sourdough starter. That means the rise is probably assisted by baker's yeast which doesn't eat sugar at the same rate as sourdough to create CO2.
    One other thing I have learned is that using a smaller amount of sourdough starter will produce a MORE sour loaf because a smaller amount of starter prolongs the time needed for the loaf to rise, thus increasing the amount of lactic acid which gives the bread a sour taste. That makes me think it might also be lower in carbs because the sourdough "critters" must work harder to get a meal and will consume more of the starch. It's been many decades since my organic chem classes, but I am convinced that using a low tech method like sourdough can create a much lower carb bread than commercial products. And I have yet to find research that does not use a commercially produced bread in their experiments for carb content--thus throwing off the comparisons for remaining carbs. I'm not a food scientist, so I can't be positive, but I will continue to share what I learn or observe here if there is interest.

BMI
    Thank you for sharing. Einkorn wheat is what our ancestors ate, not the new wheat of today. Making it into sourdough, and it sounds like a very good one, is perfect for Low carbers. Well done! Looking forward to more from you.
    I am Arlene and Dr Mary Vernon says it best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaquSijXJkQ for me. I used to stand under my plum tree waiting for the fruit to ripen and fall, now I stand near a coconut tree.
    "Let me have men about me that are fat, sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights. Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous." William Shakespeare ++++++++++++ I pray, let me one of the dangerous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.