Flax favorites - microwave cracker recipe and variations

Flax favorites - microwave cracker recipe and variations

FLAX CRACKERS - MICROWAVE VERSION (Some folks use a dehydrator but I don't have one.)

Flax seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder for flax meal. However, I buy mine already ground and the product is called "Flax Meal" or "Ground Flax." There are two common varieties, regular flax (it's dark in color) and golden flax (it's light in color.) They actually taste different to me. Once the bag is opened, store in a jar with a tight lid and keep in refrigerator. It goes rancid I am told, so start with a small bag to ensure you actually like the finished product! If you have freezer space, it can be frozen as well in a ziploc bag.

NUT RUNG: Sesame seeds are NOT needed in the basic recipe but they add a lot, IMHO. I buy sesame seeds on the rack where the store sells little cellophane bags of Mexican spices. These are the natural kind (not the puffed up kind in the little jars which cost a fortune.) The bag of sesame seeds I got from that rack was only $1.99 and it is lasting me many, many batches of flax crackers!

Parmesan (ordinary green can kind) is also optional, so try it with and without. I like it with, myself.

You MUST buy some parchment paper (mine is 15 inches wide). It's pricey BUT you just wipe the paper off with a paper towel and reuse it many times. I pulled out a piece about 10" and tore off, then cut in the middle to make 2 pieces, 7-1/2 x 10 roughly.

Basic Recipe (using golden flax) - whole batch, net carbs=1.2 carbs AND you will get 5 grams of fiber from the batch.

2 Tbsp golden flax meal
    1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional but I often add them)
    1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (also optional)
    1 tsp of non-salty spice (Try a mix of garlic powder and onion powder) - if you like things salty, OK to use Cajun power, Old Bay, etc. - too salty for me!)
    1-1/2 to 2Tbsp water (More or less...needs to make mix spreadable, a bit gooey)

Mix dry ingredients in small bowl with a fork. Stir in the water. Let sit a bit (so the water can get absorbed...2 minutes maybe) Add a little more water if not like a spreadable mush. Then "glop" the mixture onto the parchment and using a rubber spatula, spread as thin as you can (mine usually come out about 5x8), moving goo toward the edges. It is a little tricky but the object is to simply make the layer thin and even. If your edges are raggedy. I use my pizza cutter to score them into about 12 rectangular pieces. They are REALLY unappealing right now!

Cooking: This part is trial and error at first. Microwave on high for at LEAST 1.5 minutes. (My old microwave requires 2.5 minutes.) They are done when they are not gooey on the bottom, and you can sort of tap them on the top. I now make it my practice to peel them off the parchment in one large piece, flip them over and give them 20-30 seconds on side 2. So for me it's 2.5 minutes, flip, then 20-30 seconds. Cool on a rack. Break into pieces and store in baggie or plastic container.

They are good with any creamed cheese spread, cheese, etc. Being thin they are a bit fragile. The wheat bran variation (that follows) is denser (NOT FOR INDUCTION), so if you like the basic recipe, let your imagination go wild. Here are some things I have tried successfully:

Add a small squirt of tomato paste to the water and add Italian spices to your mix. OR Use dill pickle juice in place of most of the water OR Use regular (dark) flax and caraway seeds with the onion and garlic for a Rye Crisp flavor OR Mix the golden and dark flax for a slight difference in color and flavor OR Use 1-2 tsp of Mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, etc.) OR add finely chopped sunflower seeds instead of sesame OR my favorite, but not for Induction:

Basic recipe PLUS 1 Tbsp wheat bran. It adds 2.5 net carbs to the batch AND adds 2 grams of fiber as well. Increase the water to "about" 3 Tbsp and increase the nuke time to about 4 minutes, testing to see if you need to flip for an additional half minute. I like a dash of red pepper flakes in these as well as the garlic/onion...makes them downright zippy.

I like to make 2 batches, mixing up one while the other is in the microwave, so I have 2 flavors and eat half of them one day, the rest the next, and then make more. It seems if you do NOT use Parmesan, less water is needed; with wheat bran, MORE water is needed. Also changes nuke time.

You CAN make a sweet version using Splenda, cinnamon and SugarTwin brown suger, but I had trouble getting it to crisp up. Still working on it!

I tried these tonight and they were great. Even dh thought they were good.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

Tami

My pleasure. On vacation, my niece and I tried several iterations...some are bland, some are zippy. A lot of it is left up to taste.

Glad you liked them first time out. It IS trial and error, to taste.

Toni

BMI
    yeah, i love the mighty flax-cracker!!! esp with parmy cheese - but i use grated parmesan, not the powery stuff - ONLY because i keep forgetting i have the powdery stuff (i do love it!)

i made a cookie once - just needed a burst of fibre, and so tried 1 tbsp flax, 1 tbsp atkins choc shake mix (5 grams worth - that's what it weighed i mean, not net carbs!!), and the water. then i shaped it into a cookie and nuked it for a minute or so (can't remember actually - i think it was a minute!)

a hard, crunchy choc cookie...sort of....anyway, it did the trick for the time....

t

ps - i'm gonna try your flax crackers merlot - i've been making them a much more ANNOYING way!!!!

t

These look really interesting.
    I can't really get parmesan around here. Do you think this could work with grated yellow cheese?

BMI
    hey Batyaboo!!!!

the yellow heese would be okay - just watch the cooking time, as parmy works better - but all you can do is experiment right?? i use cheddar as well and it's quite nice, and not as salty as parmesan.....

but i prefer parmy!

tracy

BMI
    hey again bat - sorry i just re-read the recipe...what i meant was i often just mix grated cheese, flax and a bit of water together and nuke it for crackers....give that a try...

but i'd stick to merlot's recipe if you're doing hers, as i am not sure how they'd turn out with grated reg cheese in them...merlot??

tracy

Never tried grated cheese...I will, and will report back next time I experiment.

tm

BMI
    okay - so was craving chocolate eggs (not really, "wanting" is more like it) after my bodypump class so instead i had:

fried up ground beef with cauliflower, butter and i little bit of leftove roast pumpkin and onion. 6 net carbs

then - had merlots crackers - made them with the flax, and then added the chili flakes (along with the seeds, parmesan, onion and garlic powder)

on top of those babies i had: cream cheese (i used 50 grams today - 1.5 carb) "balls" - just balls of cream cheese, then i thought to roll them in the green-can parmesan, and as always, grilled them. i squished the balls in between 2 crackers and oh. my. goodness.

it's so good to eat yummy things when you're hungry, isn't it!! and completely and utterly guilt-free too! that is SUCH a help!

thanks Tonezie - i appreciate the recipe!

tracy -

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.