Atkins bars and other low carb bars

Atkins bars and other low carb bars

so tell me...on the atkins bars it is really easy to know the carb count because it tells you on the package....2 net carbs...even though on the nutritional info it says 23 grams of carbs....so not sure how the calculation is done...so what about the others...how are you supposed to figure this out...

Net carbs are carb count minus the fiber. So if there are 23 grams of carbs and 21 grams of fiber then it really is 2 net carbs. I highly doubt that there is that much fiber in that bar, though. What some products do is subtract the sugar alcohols in addition to the fiber.

This is something you to watch out for, especially during induction. From what I've read sugar alcohols should not be subtracted from the carb count and will effect your weight loss. It's best to avoid these type of products altogether if you can, including the Atkins products. They can be misleading and cause you to lose less weight.

BTW if you found a bar that really does have over 20 grams of fiber I'd like to know what it is. That would be a great thing to have.

well that is a drag...cause I had a atkins bar last night and one for breakie this am......and thought they were only 2 grams of carbs...cause it said that on the package....BTW I just checked and there is 0 grams of fibre.....
    this totally sucks...now I feel like I just wasted 3 days of induction....

you didn't waste 3 days of induction!

Just get back to the basics. Oil, and vinegar (not balsamic), meats, veggies. look at the list of acceptable induction foods--those are the ONLY things that go into your body. Anything else, regardless of carb count, is not to be ingested!

Shop on the peripheries of the grocery stores. don't even go INTO the aisles as that's where all the processed crap is.

doing the diet correctly is going to change your tastes. I remember eating a slice of blueberry pie one day after being in ketosis for a couple of weeks. I almost vomitted, the pie was so sweet. And this was a piece of pie that I thought was heaven just a month beforehand. Broccoli starts tasting sweet after a while.
    The only way this happens, though, is if you DON'T eat the sweet stuff (i.e. atkins bars) all the time. I'm not going to lie, it's hard but you're not doing atkins correctly if you don't change your tastes (afterall, they're these tastes that got you overweight to begin with).

the reason I ate the atkins bar in the first place was because I printed off the phase 1 - 2 week meal plan for induction. I took this right off the Atkins web site...and it allows for the Atkins bars...and counts them as 2 grms of carbs....I am really confused....
    worst part is I did not weigh myself...not much into scales...only really need to lose 15lbs (would love to lose 20)...so normally if things are working I can feel it...I feel thiner...anyhow, very confused....I suppose I need to buy new ketosis sticks and/or weigh myself.....

oh I exercise every day (well 5 x wee)...i do about 30 mins on the elyptical trainer and some weights.........and I walk the dog in the evening...approx 4 kms....

Hang in there dawat. If you check out my post about the induction mistakes that I made you'll see you're not the only one who was confused and frustrated at first. I wasted an entire 2 weeks and have twice as much weight to lose than you do. All you can do is get back on the horse. I know this sounds strange, but avoid Atkins products. They are no longer a reliable way to follow the Atkins diet.

I think I read it...but can you answer why they include the bars on the suggested 2 week menu...? if they are not a good option?

BMI
    Because they want their product to sell. They've quit promoting the atkins lifestyle and are more focused on money now.

really? so you are telling me I have been conned

How about the atkins advantage shakes? They arent bad at all

If it's not on the acceptable foods list - don't eat it, don't drink it. Plain and simple. People want to include all those extra convenience goodies - but they're not goodies at all in the long run.

Since Dr. Atkins died, his company has been shamelessly promoting their products for profits rather than posterity. Screw the products, stick to the list. Sorry but I get irritated at companies that say they're trying to promote a healthy lifestyle when all they're doing is confusing the facts to entice more folks to buy buy buy... Don't give in to the hype!!

Good Luck!

Brightest Blessings,
    Lisa

Well this week I am going to go bar-less (definitely not bra-less) and will see if that has an impact on weight loss. I am so annoyed that the program says it's ok to use a bar every day and now I'm reading after 4 weeks of not losing that well, that maybe the bars could be the culprit, I will report back in a week as to what happened on the scale!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.